TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Quick question - Father Joseph's ability.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm almost 100% sure I know the answer here, but I thought it never hurts to clarify for sure.

One of his special abilities states that he may take a wound to cancel any Zombie Card on the roll of 3+.

Does he only take the wound on the roll of 3+ cancelling the Zombie Card, or does he take the wound either way, meaning if he rolls a 1 or a 2, he took a wound for nothing?

EDIT:

I think I may have just answered my own question with something I found on Flying Frog Wiki...

Quote:Q11: How does Father Joseph’s Strength of Spirit ability work?

A11: Strength of Spirit may be used at any time to attempt to Cancel a Zombie Card being played or that ‘Remains in Play’. Father Joseph first takes a wound and then rolls to cancel the Zombie Card on the roll of 3+.

However, I figured I would still leave this here for anybody to clarify if they agree, and also for reference if anybody else was wondering.
Hi StayPuft.

Father Joe Takes the wound Watchmen02, regardless of the die result.

So....if Father Joe is Bitten. he may use his Strength of Spirit to cancel it.

Mechanic of the effect:

Father Joe is Bitten
Father Joe uses Strength of Sprirt
Father Joe takes a wound, and is not instantly converted into a Zombie.
He rolls to see if his Spirit has enough Strength.

If he rolls a 1 or 2 he is a Zombie
If he rolls 3 or higher. he is not turned into a Zombie
Awesome! Thanks for the clarification. That is pretty much what I figured.

Also, love the advice there! That would definitely be an evil way for the zombies to use that card! LOL! Because it leaves Father Joseph with some pretty tough choices.

Does he try to cancel the card? If he does and fails, he takes a wound, thereby turning into a Zombie Hero.

He could instead try to play it safe and just hope he doesn't take any more wounds... but then he would be stuck not being able to use his ability anymore, and it is definitely a power you want to use if you have the Father on your team. Quite brutal!
Reading the description of the strength of spirit in the first post I think he might try to cancel the card being played, then he doesnt become a zombie even if he fails. Since he used the ability to try to cancel the card from being played it was not in effect when he was wounded and he could try more then once to try to cancel, it if he fails in the first time, given hes got enough hp.

I really love the technicalities... =D
It think colorado has it right. From the Flying Frog Wiki:

Quote:Q12: If Father Joseph has “I Feel Kinda Strange…” played on him, can he use his Strength of Spirit to cancel it without becoming a Zombie Hero?
A12: Father Joseph may use his Strength of Spirit to cancel “I Feel Kinda Strange…” as it is being played with no problems. Once “I Feel Kinda Strange…” ‘Remains in Play’ on him though, it is a little bit more dangerous. He may try to cancel it once, by taking a wound with Strength of Spirit, but if he fails, he is immediately turned into a Zombie Hero.

Sounds like he can try to cancel it as much as he wants as it is being played, but once it is played, he only gets one chance.
Is that an official Q&A? Because i disagree... if he takes a wound hes a zombie, end of story, no chance to cancel a card.
Its very specific that he first takes a wound and then roll to cancel a card. Im house ruling that, even if its official. I am that stubborn.
(10-03-2012 06:20 PM)colorado_13 Wrote: [ -> ]Is that an official Q&A? Because i disagree... if he takes a wound hes a zombie, end of story, no chance to cancel a card.
Its very specific that he first takes a wound and then roll to cancel a card. Im house ruling that, even if its official. I am that stubborn.

I believe this Flying Frog Wiki to be the official source of info from the Frog. Here is a link: Flying Frog Wiki Strength of Spirit Page
(10-03-2012 06:20 PM)colorado_13 Wrote: [ -> ]Is that an official Q&A? Because i disagree... if he takes a wound hes a zombie, end of story, no chance to cancel a card.

I here you and some what agree, BUT. To use Strenth of Spirit Father Joe must take a wound Period, end of story. He has his one and only chance to cancel the bitten, feel strange card

Father Joe is Bitten
Father Joe begins his prayer, and takes a wound.
If his prayers are answered, he is cured.
If his prayer was not answered, he is a zombie.
Actually, according to that FAQ, it seems like the Good Father does have a chance to initially try to cancel it when it is played on him without the card as of yet going into effect. If I am understanding the explanation correctly, it goes like this:

- The zombie player tries to play "Bitten" on Father Joseph
- Father Joseph attempts to cancel the card as it is being played.
- If he succeeds, he cancels it, If he fails, he does not cancel it, so it can be played on him, meaning it only goes into effect AFTER he has failed to cancel it.

However, please somebody correct me if I may be reading that wrong.
Yeah, i agree on that, he can try multiple times to cancel the card being played, even healing in the process i guess. The big question is that if but after the card is played on him (he didnt try to cancel or rolled less then 4 in all attempts) he can try to cancel. The Q&A in the flying frog wiki says he can try once to cancel it, and im saying that he cant, since he gets the wound and the effect turns him in a zombie.
I´m very methodical and this doesnt make sense to me. Did anyone play Magic: The Gathering?
The rules stated that when you used an instant magic (or interruption magic) it goes BEFORE the last magic played.
If thats the case here, then i humbly retreat.
If not, i have to disagree, even if the makers of the game say im wrong heheheh.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's