TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Thinking of Painting ATOE minis, but need help with color
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Greets everyone. I am very new to paining miniatures, but I have read a bit about it. I do have a question about color.

I saw on another site someone who painted their minis an off-white (bone color) and then black-washed for the finer features. I was thinking of copying this method but wanted to use a color more resembling aged ivory (bone with a hint of yellow) and a brownish wash. Can anyone give suggestions?

Thank you in advance,

W.J.
A couple of our experienced painters are away from the forums for a week or two moving, but someone else might be able to answer sooner.
GW Bleached Bone,would be my idea,perhaps with a light white drybrushing.

OD
(08-30-2012 06:32 PM)Old Dwarf Wrote: [ -> ]GW Bleached Bone,would be my idea,perhaps with a light white drybrushing.

OD

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked it out and GW/Citadel does not have it listed on their site. All I could find was ubshati which is a little greyer than I was thinking. Possibly Discontinued?
I used Bleached Bone and Sepia Wash on mine. You can see them if you scroll down a bit in THIS POST
(09-03-2012 07:17 PM)Anim8r Wrote: [ -> ]I used Bleached Bone and Sepia Wash on mine. You can see them if you scroll down a bit in THIS POST

Ok, so you are the genius that has me inspired to paint my minis. I saw those pics on another site and said "Wow, that is so awesome, I need to do that!"

When I went to my local hobby shop all I could find were rectangular mounts. What did you mount yours on? I hope I can find the bleached bone somewhere.

Thank you for the inspiration

-W.J.
(09-04-2012 05:30 PM)Wasteland Jack Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-03-2012 07:17 PM)Anim8r Wrote: [ -> ]I used Bleached Bone and Sepia Wash on mine. You can see them if you scroll down a bit in THIS POST

I hope I can find the bleached bone somewhere.

What I found out in my searchings is bleached bone changed to ustabi bone (sp?). But the color online doesn't quite seem to fit what I am looking for. Has anyone ever used reapers aged bone?
Hi Wasteland Jack, All credit goes to Anim8r for the great job done with the AToE models. I'm just going to add some tips.

1) Clean your models in water with a little detergent to remove any residual oils from the moulding process. [Don't skip this part, many have regretted it]

2) Undercoat your figures. I use GW Skull White spray paint.

3) Base coat them with Ushabti Bone from GW it's just a renaming of Bleached Bone. They're damn close, if not exactly the same.

4) Use a wash of Seraphim Sepia. (This used to be Gryphonne Sepia).

Optional) If you're not happy with the first wash, add another this will create more shade and give an overall darker hue to your basecoat.

Optional) You can highlight your figure at this stage. This can be done relatively quickly by drybrushing. Or take more time with layering. More info can be found here on a guide I prepared
http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Thre...8#pid31388

5) Base

6) Varnish. Again Matt spray paint.

Hope this helps. Any more questions please fire away. I'd be happy to help.
Thank you all so much for the help!

Quick question, say I gloriously mess up, is there any issue using paint thinner/stripper on the pieces?
You can strip the paint off your models with nail varnish remover here's a guide I did. http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Thre...easy-steps

or

Use some stuff called Simple Green which a couple of users on here have raved about.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's