TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: "Just What I Needed" wasted?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was playing LNOE with my wife tonight and a situation came up which I think I know the answer for but I wanted to run it by the forum for confirmation.

Ok, to start I was playing Heroes (something I don't often do, but the wife wanted to try the Zombies.) She chose the Defend the Manor screnario. We were only using the base game since my wife wants to get more comfortable with things before including the expansions.

Here starts the bad news for me. For characters, I drew ALL students (Billy, Jenny, Johnny, and Sally) and I did not have the highschool on the board. On top of this, two of the students drew "Just What I Needed" as there starting cards inside the manor. Since this was the start of the game, there weren't any cards in the discard pile. In addition, this was a scenario that had no Scenrio Search Items.

So, my question to confirm...drawing "Just What I Needed" as a start card in this situation is just wasted card, correct? It's PLAY IMMEDIATELY so I can't save it, there's no card in the discard pile to draw from, and there are no Scenario Search items to draw from the the player deck.

To note, my future draws were not much better. My heroes lasted down to round 6 and NEVER drew one gun or a fire source to light the one gas canister we found. Hell, Billy never even drew one item in his first seven searches before having no choice but to move out of the building he was in to help defend the manor.

It was not my best moment...
This is correct play. But think of the reverse if you get "Just What I Needed" (x2 even!) on turn one of Escape in the Truck.

My group house rules that this card is shuffled back in and redrawn if drawn as a hero placement reward.
Now that you mention it, we have the same house rule in the group I usually play with, but we only think to enact the rule when we're playing a scenario that contains Search Scenario Items. I've never thought to have the same rule in other scenarios and this situation never came up before.

My wife will, for sure, think that I'm trying to "pull a fast one" if I try to introduce this house rule now that this situation occurred and since she's never played in my regular group she'll think I'm purely making up the notion that we've actually played this way before.

Anyway, thanks for the comment. Just bad luck this time around. Hey, if anything, it helped my wife win and I've found that when the wife wins she's more apt to play again. Watchmen02
(09-09-2012 05:53 AM)sgiove Wrote: [ -> ]Now that you mention it, we have the same house rule in the group I usually play with, but we only think to enact the rule when we're playing a scenario that contains Search Scenario Items. I've never thought to have the same rule in other scenarios and this situation never came up before.

My wife will, for sure, think that I'm trying to "pull a fast one" if I try to introduce this house rule now that this situation occurred and since she's never played in my regular group she'll think I'm purely making up the notion that we've actually played this way before.

Anyway, thanks for the comment. Just bad luck this time around. Hey, if anything, it helped my wife win and I've found that when the wife wins she's more apt to play again. Watchmen02

i had a similar situation with my g/f a rule come up that i wernt a 100% sure on then she got pee'd off with me coz she thought i was trying to cheat lol she couldnt understand what i was trying to exsplain to her and then said she would never play again it took me 3 months to convince her to play again which was rubbish because she does enjoy the game and i do enjoy playing it with her but as ive found out shes VERY competitive and dont like losing so dont introduce that house rule just yet say you were watching a game and it cropped up on there and thats what you have to do with the card in that situation now Watchmen02
Wrong wrong wrong...

Just what i needed text:
Play Immediately
Take any card from the Hero Cards discard pile. If there are no cards in the discard pile, you may draw a new Hero Card.
or
Take any Scenario Search Item from the draw deck, then shuffle the deck.

Second part of the card if there are no Hero cards in the discard pile is:
YOU MAY DRAW A NEW HERO CARD... is right there....

so you play'd very wrong...

Both heroes should get one card.
Thank you for pointing out how very wrong, wrong, WRONG I played...

Nevertheless, I can't believe I missed that part of the text. Glad to know I have some solid evidence to show the wife the next time this comes up.
Strange how sometimes we selectively ignore certain parts of card text... took me about 5 games to discover that overconfidence could be canceled if you lose a fight on the roll of 4+.

Glad to help...
(09-09-2012 02:19 PM)j0hnnn Wrote: [ -> ]Wrong wrong wrong...

Just what i needed text:
Play Immediately
Take any card from the Hero Cards discard pile. If there are no cards in the discard pile, you may draw a new Hero Card.
or
Take any Scenario Search Item from the draw deck, then shuffle the deck.

Second part of the card if there are no Hero cards in the discard pile is:
YOU MAY DRAW A NEW HERO CARD... is right there....

so you play'd very wrong...

Both heroes should get one card.

yup yup Good Call jOhnnn
Yeah, good point. Thanks for clarifying that. I don't have the card in front of me, so I would have thought the same thing without looking, that it would just be a waste of card.

I can also kind of agree with the house rule of shuffling back any scenario search item, or "Just What I Needed" card if it is drawn immediately in the game as a hero's card if their building was not on the board. You can see how this may kind of take a bit of the sport out of the game to get it right away. Though, to be honest, it isn't always a guarantee.

My gaming group recently played with a newbie to the group. We played "Escape in the Truck" and one of his heroes wound up in the middle of the board, and picked up the gasoline right away. Since he was new, we decided to let it slide. The game wound up going all the way to the last turn, and they never found the keys. So, you never know. So, you could certainly argue either way... Either, luck of the draw, whatever they get they get, or using the house rule mentioned here.
(09-11-2012 09:28 PM)StayPuft Wrote: [ -> ]My gaming group recently played with a newbie to the group. We played "Escape in the Truck" and one of his heroes wound up in the middle of the board, and picked up the gasoline right away. Since he was new, we decided to let it slide. The game wound up going all the way to the last turn, and they never found the keys. So, you never know. So, you could certainly argue either way... Either, luck of the draw, whatever they get they get, or using the house rule mentioned here.

As zombies I once killed the key carrier as the gasoline carrier filled the truck. They re-spawned on the truck with a card, which of course was "Just what I needed."

Worst way to end a game. Luck will screw everybody eventually.

And that isn't even getting into dice rolling luck.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's