TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Timber Peak Users: Stand Alone or Integrated?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't often start threads, but this is my first ever poll on any forum!

Basically, for people who own/use Timber Peak, how do you use it?

Upon first read through the rules, I thought this will easily integrate with everything else LNOE. Anyway, after my first game night with this absolutely awesome "expansion" I've decided to keep it as stand alone.

So in essence I've decided to have two different LNOE games. Naturally I wait patiently for this to add to my "second game."

The Blood in the Forest Expansion sees the Heroes fight their way deeper into the forested mountains, and can be added to LNOE: Timber Peak or directly to the original Last Night on Earth. Blood in the Forest adds:

A full set of new Forest Boards (4 Corners and 4 Straight pieces)
A new double-sided Forest Center Board (with the Airfield)
A set of 7 vicious new Feral Zombies
2 new Heroes
- Sister Ophelia, the reformed nun
- Agent Carter, an FBI agent who knows more about the outbreak than he lets on
A host of new Hero and Zombie cards, counters, Scenarios, and Game Mechanics. Blood in the Forest also expands on the Fire and Upgrades systems originally introduced in LNOE: Timber Peak. As the Zombie plague spreads, the forests will run red!

Very interested on how others have approached Timber Peak.
I'm probably not the best person to answer this since I don't own any LNOE set or expansion (I'm still waiting for the original set to arrive). Personally, I don't think I'll have one overall decision and stick with it - I'll probably do what I'm in the mood for.

Can you share what made you decide to keep the two games separate?
Can't offer my personal opinion just yet, but I recall FF telling its consumers that while it can be played both ways, having it as a standalone makes the game more action-packed and quicker. Both modes should be balanced though.

That expansion looks awesome though. Straight Pieces! A pity on just 2 heroes, though. But with HP2 coming out as well with the initial 4 Townsfolk, I don't think we'll be quite lacking. Still, I expected to see at least 1 more survivor (from the expansions. Seemed like they all kicked it)
(10-05-2012 05:24 PM)LabRat Wrote: [ -> ]I'm probably not the best person to answer this since I don't own any LNOE set or expansion (I'm still waiting for the original set to arrive). Personally, I don't think I'll have one overall decision and stick with it - I'll probably do what I'm in the mood for.

Can you share what made you decide to keep the two games separate?

It does become subjective of course

1) Initially for my groups (two of them), the additional mechanics, the rule tweaks, and upgrade of previous heroes in the original LNOE pretty much warranted the two game idea.

2) The idea of having two different LNOE games appealed to me to actually reinforce it. Maybe a novelty perception to have two games vs an update/expansion (? - don't really know).

3) Ultimate thing was feedback from the other players. They believe it should work that way... one of them used the analogy of a tv series spin off (eg NCIS and NCIS: LA) - very similar but very different, just as Woodinvale had a different feel vs Timber Peak.

So I went with it. I've always been the kind of gamer to go with what benefits and what is most fun with the group. So everyone wins all round in my particular case anyway.
(10-05-2012 05:29 PM)Bokya Wrote: [ -> ]Can't offer my personal opinion just yet, but I recall FF telling its consumers that while it can be played both ways, having it as a standalone makes the game more action-packed and quicker. Both modes should be balanced though.

That expansion looks awesome though. Straight Pieces! A pity on just 2 heroes, though. But with HP2 coming out as well with the initial 4 Townsfolk, I don't think we'll be quite lacking. Still, I expected to see at least 1 more survivor (from the expansions. Seemed like they all kicked it)

Just never know really - with Halloween approaching and possible downloadable web content and such - maybe wishful thinking. Not to mention other web exclusives that may come up. I'll remain optimistic and hopeful given what we've seen historically anyway.

FFP aside, don't forget the homebrew stuff that has the potential to emerge too.

As for 3 of the original heroes kicking it - great for the story. Even better as a predominanly ZP Zombie13
Integrated...
Just recently played a game with the radio tower scenario and get the truck scenario on the same table...with both maps set up.

made it one big scenario...
1. Players had to escpae the town, Find the keys and gas.. get in the truck..
2. Drive to the radio tower ,
3. get the tower working to call for help...

B horroflic fades to black as the radio simply reply's static hiss..
I have not tried the full integration but its been fun to put some of it together and have larger games and variety but I want to try a game using all of the tiles from timber peak, LNOE, and growing hunger for a large epic game. Also if BGG is right it I will have to through all of blood in the forest in there as well to make it huge. That being said I do really like it as a stand alone. Take it with me to my game night so I don't have to bring every thing, which makes for an easier transport.
Reference URL's