TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Zombies in the Law
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://zombielaw.wordpress.com/2012/09/2...ict-court/

About ZombieLaw
ZombieLaw is a blog about Zombies in law and politics. I am primarily interested in Zombies in the Federal Courts but this blog will also refer to Zombies in State Courts and in news articles (history and current events). I am particularly interested in zombies as a form of political consciousness and cultural metaphor. But this blog is a bit of a gallimaufry of “zombie” appearance in modern language. I consider it a study of (or hunt for) real life zombies. Zombies are real in the same way Santa Claus is real, or the electron is real, or autism is real, they are words, constructions of language that serve language functions and we can study how they are used in language (with social, cultural and cognitive implications).

A recent version of my working theories can be read at ZombieLaw post entitled “Critical Zombie Theory – cognitive linguistics and construction of the non-creative”
AND a recent version of some empirical data can be read at ZombieLaw post entitled “Zombies in the Federal Courts: Medications, Corporations and Criminals”

AND here is a synopsis of the “walking dead” cases: “Walking Dead” in the Federal Courts
AND here is a synopsis of the “undead” cases: “Undead” in the Federal Courts
AND here is a synopsis of the “feeling zombie-like” cases: Zombie Gwyneth Paltrow: postpartum feeling zombie-like

AND here, a cute piece about Wernicke’s Area: “I am America’s Wernicke’s area”
AND here, a cute piece about Zombie Pride: “Zombie Pride”

At the moment, the best way to reach me is by commenting anywhere on this blog or @LawZombie on twitter.

Please follow this ZombieLaw blog on twitter at @LawZombie

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/8886...-a-caseboo

Examples of Quotes from real zombie cases:
"zombie litigation" Langer v. Presbyterian Medical Ctr., Nos. 87-4000, 88-1064, 91-1814, 1995 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 9448 (E.D. Pa. 1995)

"the idea of zombies awakening is not enough to sustain a charge of infringement" Capcom Co. v. The MKR Group, Inc., No. C. 08-0904, 2008 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 83836, 2008 WL 4661479 (N.D. Cal. Oct. 10, 2008)

"the general idea of zombies in a mall is not protectable". Tessler v. NBC Universal, Inc., 2008 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 108353 (E.D. Va. Dec. 5, 2008) citing Capcom Co., Ltd. v. MKR Group, Inc., 2008 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 83836, 2008 WL 4661479, at *9 (N.D. Cal. Oct. 10, 2008)

"plaintiffs intended to protest mindless consumerism when they dressed in zombie costumes ... plaintiffs dancing to the music while pretending to be zombies" Baribeau v. City of Minneapolis, 596 F.3d 465 (8th Cir. 2009)

"the Supreme Court's recent decisions have completely destroyed the vitality of Federal Baseball Club v. National League, 259 U.S. 200, decided twenty-seven years ago, and have left that case but an impotent zombi." Gardella v. Chandler, 172 F.2d 402 (2nd Cir. 1949)

"The most violent game in the record, "The House of the Dead," depicts zombiesbeing killed flamboyantly, with much severing of limbs and effusion of blood" Am. Amusement Mach. Ass'n v. Kendrick, 244 F.3d 572 (7th Cir. 2001)

"The cases thus present a tale of zombie precedent. A rule definitively extinguished by statutory amendment in 1989 continues to prowl, repeatedly re-animated by mistaken citation and dicta." Crowell v. Knowles, 483 F. Supp. 2d 925 (D.Ariz. 2007)

"The corporations were no more Douglas' evil zombies" Scholes v. Lehmann, 56 F.3d 750 (7th Cir. 1995)

"a cybernetic zombie that lives on in cyberspace" Adams v. Ford Motor, 653 F.3d 299 (3rd Circ. 2011)

THANK YOU
As a Judicial Employee I deal with Zombies daily.

OD
Reference URL's