TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Did the hurricane mess up your Halloween?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I started typing this in a thread in the "Introduce yourself" section, but decided to give it a thread of its own instead so I wasn't hijacking somebody's thread.

For those of us within the area, how did you do in Hurricane Sandy? Did it mess up your Halloween plans at all?

Our actual Trick or Treating night was postponed. A shame, because the wifey and I love to put on our costumes for the year and hand out candy as the Trick or Treaters come by. That, and as goofy as it makes me feel as an adult, sometimes she drags me out to go to at least a few houses ourselves. LOL!

My work also moved our Halloween festivities (we always do a costume contest and cool stuff like that) to next Wednesday instead. Bummer, but in a way it will also be really cool to get to have a bonus celebration after Halloween. We normally get a good number of people participating, so I hope there aren't too many who pass on it because it is after Halloween now. One of the ladies in my department was saying she would feel goofy coming to work in a costume when Halloween is over. Well, poo on you! I'm not letting my fun be ruined. ;-)

We lost power Monday night, and had not gotten it back as of this morning. My wife tells me that apparently we got it back today before she left for work, but I still need to see it for myself. ;-)

However, I was NOT going to let the stupid storm ruin my Halloween. So, since there was nothing else Halloweeny to do, we went and saw a couple horror movies at our local theater. Definitely a very fun, very Halloween appropriate activity.
It made mine better... The city postponed "trick or treating" from Wednesday to Saturday, so I'll have a much easier time of handing out candy to the kids!
I was not effected all that much. Even thought the governor was going on and on that this was the worst storm CT has ever seen. Well, It was for our coastal communities, but for our inland people, it was just another wind storm. A few branches here and there but I think we dodged this one.

We did celebrate Halloween on Wednesday, though, not many trick-or-treaters. I will say the look on the last kid's face was priceless when I dumped the remainder of our candy bowl into his bucket. I think I heard his dentist cry.
Update: It was pretty bad for my father. He's still in a national guard shelter, though they expect he can return home tomorrow. His vehicle's trashed and anything he had stored in his ground-level garage is probably seriously damaged. Didn't seem like much got into his house (which is on stilts, with no basement). Of course, parents as they are, he never bothered to call me [to let me know they were having problems up where he was] or anything... He waited until I called him last night to see how cleanup was going.

Lawrenceville PA
Our Gov.postponed Halloween in NJ.

mqstout my dad Called ME several times as he kept seeing TV with NJ getting pounded.
Sort of a turn around as I'm the one usually calling him about Hurricanes in the Tampa,FL area.

OD
Glad to hear most of you did okay. Sorry to hear about your father, mqstout.

Another crappy thing was we had just recently stocked up on food before we even knew the storm was coming. We had spent a good amount on some stuff we needed.

Thankfully, my parents did not lose power, and they happen to have a spare fridge in their basement that is usually nearly empty. So, literally all of our food was saved! :-)

Stunk not really being able to be in our own home, though. I'm very much a home-body. To me, home is where my stuff is, but with no power there is virtually nothing to do, especially when it gets dark. Plus, I love my family, but they can be hard to take when not in small doses. LOL! Then again, what family can't say that about each other?

Overall, I am very glad to have my power back, and very glad we were able to make sure it did not ruin our Halloween. Now, I see all the postponed Halloween fun as just an excuse to get a bonus celebration even after Halloween is over.
Reference URL's