TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Hero wounds?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The other night one of.the guys in my gaming group questioned the wound totals for.the heros and why they don't get infected from taking a single wound? My take on it is that the totals are how many times the hero gets hit but their stamina and endurance during a fight with a zombie ie Sam with his military training making him more fight ready as opposed to the young track star who may be more.resiliant in the regards to getting a second wind (the youth trait). Was wondering how far off am I on this take on the matter? Opinions?
Not every wound leads to an infection -- simple as that. The game would suck if they did. Note that the zombie player gets cards that cause infection -- "I Feel Kinda Strange" and "Bitten" being the main ones.

'Just a single scratch leads to being a zombie' is pretty uncommon in the genre (and, I believe, a pretty modern twist on it). Note that the wound prevention card is even called "just a scratch" -- so clearly the zombies in LNOE-verse aren't that kind of contagious. Actual taken wounds are pretty big (or, as you mentioned, exhausting).
Common Romero lore is one bite and all hope is lost. This here is pretty much game mechanic convenience, that can be explained several ways. Being in a tussle with a zombie can result in non-infection wounds. Perhaps wrestling a couple of zeds in the barn, Sam the cook bumps his head or twists an ankle.

Your idea is just as valid.
I think we all have that thought very early on in becoming fans of this game. You can easily explain around it thematically. For example, wounds can represent fatigue, bumps, bruises, small minor cuts, etc. In most zombie movies/tv shows, the infection has to be transmitted by a bite or other bodily fluid. So, if the zombie happened to bust you open a little while grabbing you, that is a wound, but would typically not mean you were infected.

So, thematically, you can explain it a lot of different ways. That is one of the most fun parts of this game (well, if you are as big a nerd as me). Finding thematic ways to explain everything.
I noticed I left out the word "not" in my original post. Should have read " my take on it is the totals are NOT how times the hero gets hit"...
(11-08-2012 10:47 PM)jibbo1971 Wrote: [ -> ]I noticed I left out the word "not" in my original post. Should have read " my take on it is the totals are NOT how times the hero gets hit"...

LOL! No worries. I think most people either A) figured as much or B) auto-corrected it in their own mind without even noticing. The human mind is weird like that.

I know how you feel, though. It drives me crazy when I make a typo, especially after having just re-read over my post several times, and then yet somehow something still slipped through.
(11-08-2012 08:45 PM)jibbo1971 Wrote: [ -> ]The other night one of.the guys in my gaming group questioned the wound totals for.the heros and why they don't get infected from taking a single wound? My take on it is that the totals are how many times the hero gets hit but their stamina and endurance during a fight with a zombie ie Sam with his military training making him more fight ready as opposed to the young track star who may be more.resiliant in the regards to getting a second wind (the youth trait). Was wondering how far off am I on this take on the matter? Opinions?

Our group views wounds as "everything"... a hit, a bite, stamina, endurance, etc etc. We're all current or ex-RPG'ers though, and that was how we view(ed) hit points in that particular genre.

The Youth Heroes are a good example of the stamina/endurance thing who can "Heal" just by resting for a turn. Whether right or wrong, I personally like your imagination and way of thinking.
(11-09-2012 11:43 PM)ForestRunner Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-08-2012 08:45 PM)jibbo1971 Wrote: [ -> ]The other night one of.the guys in my gaming group questioned the wound totals for.the heros and why they don't get infected from taking a single wound? My take on it is that the totals are how many times the hero gets hit but their stamina and endurance during a fight with a zombie ie Sam with his military training making him more fight ready as opposed to the young track star who may be more.resiliant in the regards to getting a second wind (the youth trait). Was wondering how far off am I on this take on the matter? Opinions?

Our group views wounds as "everything"... a hit, a bite, stamina, endurance, etc etc. We're all current or ex-RPG'ers though, and that was how we view(ed) hit points in that particular genre.

The Youth Heroes are a good example of the stamina/endurance thing who can "Heal" just by resting for a turn. Whether right or wrong, I personally like your imagination and way of thinking.

That's actually a really good point, ForestRunner. When you think about it, within the zombie genre, when you get bit, there is NO healing. Yet, in this game, youth characters can heal, the nurse can heal people, certain cards can heal people... So, I agree that, thematically, the wounds leading up to the final one are to be thought of as anything but a bite (or any other kind of transmission of the zombie infection). The final wound is thought of as the bite (unless otherwise noted in the specific reason/way the hero died).
Also.....with Timber Peak....heroes can get infected markers, that can cause additional wounds on a role of 1 or 2. And to make it even more deadly, if you get 2 infected markers you immediatly turn into a zombie hero. One marker spells doom for the youths.
Reference URL's