TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: New player, need some clarification
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just finished my second game, but first advanced game last night and a couple debates were started over ranged attack and fight rules.

Thanks in advance.

1. Ranged attack. During the zombie turn, if he engages a fight with a hero that has a ranged weapon, the revolver in our case, does the hero do a 2D6 roll as if he were unarmed? Or may that hero roll a single D6 and use the revolver?

According to the rule book, there's a single sentence that says something along the lines of "fights do not include ranged combat" so I'm guessing the hero would have to roll 2D6 for melee.

2. Melee weapons. Second question is about the stacking effects of weapons. If a hero has both a crowbar and a meat cleaver, do the abilities stack during a fight? The abilities would be "win on a tie" and "kill on a roll of 6," respectively. Or does the hero have to decide which melee weapon he wants to use during the fight? Last night in our Escape in the Truck scenario, Sally was rolling 6 after six, but barely doubles. Wondering if we gave her the meat cleaver, if she'd be able to benefit from both weapons at once.

3. Ranged attacked through a door. Does a door act like a wall when a hero is placed against it? As in, if the hero is directly up against a door, does the door still obstruct their field of vision? The game is very specific about not being able to shoot through doors, if a hero is not on the space, but doesn't go into detail about placement.

Looking at the diagrams in the rule book, there's a picture where the hero is up against the wall, so their visibility is less limited. The wall directly next to the hero is a door, which I noticed did not limit his visibility. I'm guessing doors behave like walls when the hero is placed next to them, allowing them to perform a ranged attack through them.

Anything special about locked doors and ranged attacks?

4. Turn/phase order. We had a debate about movement/searching/spawning zombies last night, and someone's feelings got hurt. Basically, if you go out of order, are you allowed to go back and complete the other phases?

Zombie players first move the sun tracker, draw cards, roll to spawn new zombies, move zombies, fight, then roll and place new zombies. However, last night our zombie player was getting antsy during his last few turns and spawned new zombies before moving his horde. He got upset when we called him on it, and it kinda ruined the game. I figure the rule is there because we can't have them accidentally or intentionally moving zombies that just spawned, correct?

Likely a house rule.

5. Movement.
This one is an open forum, perhaps I'd just like to hear what you guys do. We, again, had a little debate about hero movement. Basically, to keep the pace up, I told the heros (myself included) that once you roll your movement dice you cannot decide to search. However, is movement mandatory once you roll? Say for instance I roll a 1, but don't want to move 1 in any direction. May I stand still?

Second, to keep the pace up, we also decided that once you lift your finger from the piece, your movement is now complete. How do you guys handle movement?

Of course, as we started to wind down to our last turns, it was very critical we orchestrate things perfectly... which we didn't, so we're probably not going to use that "rule." Technically, the phase isn't over until the next has begun. For instance, the moment the hero exchanges items, performs a ranged attack, or fights, then their movement phase is over.

Would like to see how you guys handle this.
Welcome to the boards, Spartan!

1: Ranged weapons only are used on the player turn, during the "Ranged Combat" step. The rest of the time, they're just a generic item.

2: You can use one, the other, or both abilities just fine, if you want. The only limitation is on "two-handed" melee weapons, which you can only carry one of anyway.

Remember, however, no "Combat Bonus:" is ever used unless the player wants it to be. (This is relevant for zombie cards that cause items to break, for example.) You should always start with just your 2d6, and if you don't win how you want, start adding other cards/combat bonuses.

3: Doors are there for movement and only for movement. In all other cases, they count as normal walls. You can only fire through a door if you're adjacent to the wall it is part of. I believe this is one of the FAQs.

Also, with the rules as written, "locked doors" is a one-time use card that ends movement of the hero when he tries to go through a door. It is not a "Remains in Play" card -- though many people create a house rule that makes it one (that can be canceled with keys). The locked door markers that came in the package are technically unused extras.

4: On each player's turn, the phases are in their order -- and are to be played only in that order. However, the heroes may take their own turn in any order, including changing the order each turn as is most advantageous to it.

My group does tend to be slightly more forgiving of the zombie player on this, because he has individually so much more to keep track of. The best thing to do as the zombie player is just to follow the card exactly every turn, no matter how familiar you are with the game. It's especially bad if you forget to move the sun track marker.

5: You can roll your movement die before you decide to move or to search. You can also roll and see your result before you decide to use a card (such as the horse). Basically, the game always has you roll first and then decide from there.

The "lift finger" house rule is common with many gaming groups, and across all games. Personally, mine does not use it -- especially for strategic games. (It's particularly punishing against visual thinkers, for example.) The game will get faster as you and your fellow players become more familiar with it; particularly with memorizing the cards.
Welcome to the boards Spartan... and mqstout posted a very in-depth answer. Hope it helped!
mqstout Wrote:Welcome to the boards, Spartan!

1: Ranged weapons only are used on the player turn, during the "Ranged Combat" step. The rest of the time, they're just a generic item.

2: You can use one, the other, or both abilities just fine, if you want. The only limitation is on "two-handed" melee weapons, which you can only carry one of anyway.

Remember, however, no "Combat Bonus:" is ever used unless the player wants it to be. (This is relevant for zombie cards that cause items to break, for example.) You should always start with just your 2d6, and if you don't win how you want, start adding other cards/combat bonuses.

3: Doors are there for movement and only for movement. In all other cases, they count as normal walls. You can only fire through a door if you're adjacent to the wall it is part of. I believe this is one of the FAQs.

Also, with the rules as written, "locked doors" is a one-time use card that ends movement of the hero when he tries to go through a door. It is not a "Remains in Play" card -- though many people create a house rule that makes it one (that can be canceled with keys). The locked door markers that came in the package are technically unused extras.

4: On each player's turn, the phases are in their order -- and are to be played only in that order. However, the heroes may take their own turn in any order, including changing the order each turn as is most advantageous to it.

My group does tend to be slightly more forgiving of the zombie player on this, because he has individually so much more to keep track of. The best thing to do as the zombie player is just to follow the card exactly every turn, no matter how familiar you are with the game. It's especially bad if you forget to move the sun track marker.

5: You can roll your movement die before you decide to move or to search. You can also roll and see your result before you decide to use a card (such as the horse). Basically, the game always has you roll first and then decide from there.

The "lift finger" house rule is common with many gaming groups, and across all games. Personally, mine does not use it -- especially for strategic games. (It's particularly punishing against visual thinkers, for example.) The game will get faster as you and your fellow players become more familiar with it; particularly with memorizing the cards.

Thanks for the concise response mqstout!

As for turn/phase order, when the rule book said heroes can take their turn in any order, I read that as in each player can go in any particular order but still have to follow the phase order. But what you're saying is we can even go out of order, phase-wise. Would the following be a valid turn:

Johnny is sharing a space with Sally. Johnny has a baseball bat and revolver. Normally Sally would go first, but Johnny wants to exchange before anyone moves away.

Johnny's turn.

1. Johnny fires revolver. Hits and kills.
2. Johnny gives revolver to Sally.
3. Johnny rolls and moves.

Sally's turn.

1. Sally searches.
2. Sally fires revolver. Hits and kills.

Billy's turn.

1. Billy moves to Sally.
2. Billy takes revolver from Sally.
3. Billy fires. Hits and kills.

Seems a little unfair to go out of phase, now that I look at it. Johnny would have gone out of the phase order.
Oh never mind, I didn't read closely enough. You already confirmed phase order versus turn order.

Thanks again!

Quote:On each player's turn, the phases are in their order -- and are to be played only in that order. However, the heroes may take their own turn in any order, including changing the order each turn as is most advantageous to it.
No. I'm sorry if I was not clear. The heroes can go in any order relative to one another, but the phases must always be in the order as printed on the card.

Additionally, there's an extra rule (and clarification in the FAQ) that says that any particular firearm can be used only once in any given "round", even if it is traded between players Watchmen02
mqstout Wrote:No. I'm sorry if I was not clear. The heroes can go in any order relative to one another, but the phases must always be in the order as printed on the card.

Additionally, there's an extra rule (and clarification in the FAQ) that says that any particular firearm can be used only once in any given "round", even if it is traded between players Watchmen02

No you were clear, my mind just went a little numb. Thanks again!

Sounds like I should read the FAQ again. Watchmen02

Last question. You guys know if any Flying Frog staff view these forums? Wondering if any recommendations will fall on deaf ears here.
There are a few staffers that visit.....Not as often as we'd like. Mr. Hill himself is registered, but we've yet to see him make an appearance here.

The more voices and recommendations we have on these boards, the harder it will be to ignore us, if that is what is currently happening.

Welcome to the site Spartan VI....love the user name!
supervike Wrote:There are a few staffers that visit.....Not as often as we'd like. Mr. Hill himself is registered, but we've yet to see him make an appearance here.

The more voices and recommendations we have on these boards, the harder it will be to ignore us, if that is what is currently happening.

Welcome to the site Spartan VI....love the user name!

Hi supervike, thanks for the warm welcome!

Ah good to know. I'll search up a recommendation thread before I start my own. I can't believe a zombie game of this proportion is missing one glaring zombie movie cliché: barricades!

Got my user name in 2001 from a combination of SPARTAN-II (Halo) and MJOLNIR Mark VI armor (also Halo). I liked Halo at one point. Watchmen02
One more question. During the last turn of "Escape in the Truck" we had 3 people at the truck fighting off 6-8 zombies. Ultimately lost, but perhaps not if we followed the rules.

Whether we win or lose rest on Jenny's shoulders. She had a crowbar and a medkit, however the medkit said it is not to be used during a fight. A fight, as we understood, begins the moment fight dice are rolled.

1. So of the 6 zombies, Jenny had to fight two.
2. She had a terrible roll and took a wound.
3. Is that "fight" now over? Would Jenny be able to use the medkit now or only after she's finished fighting all of the zombies in her space?
4. Next roll was also terrible, Jenny took another wound, died, and turned into a zombie hero.
5. Zombie hero and the rest of the zombies on that space ate the rest of us except lucky Sally.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's