TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Ouija Boards
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, it's a "board game", right? At least it's marketed as one. Anyone here with Ouija board experiences? I bought a "pocket Ouija" that is more for show than for actual use.
Be warned when dabbling with dark forces. I tried it once and looked what happened to me. MarriageInsane19

Just kiddin' Zombie17
Yeah, I've read a lot of warnings and I'm never going to buy an actual board, just curious if there are folks here who've tried it before. Watchmen02
Some things are not messed with.

OD
I played with one once when I was about 11 or 12.

Basically it is sitting in a dark room with a buddy, your fingers lightly touching the cold plastic of the planchette, the candlelight glow offering just enough light to see the letters on the board, dead still, for 40 minutes...

That's when you box the game back up, put it on the shelf, and never play with it again.

I will forever equate my Ouija experience to watching mold grow on a piece of stale bread.
Thanks for sharing!

Well, my only Ouija experience is seeing these cool keychain-sized versions of the mainstream board games. I couldn't find Monopoly but there were versions of Clue, Boggle, Scrabble, and Battleship. And then I saw that pocket Ouija. Seeing it as the only one left, I bought it. For novelty purposes mainly.

I have to admit, I tried the planchette out but the darned thing was too small and the board isn't set up correctly - the raised edges got in the way. It's nice for freaking some of my friends out.
Actually we did play once but the only message was "Get more Beer"
I think these were Uncle Ned's last words so it freaked me out &
we never played again......we did however take Ned's advice.

OD
(11-21-2012 03:12 PM)Wasteland Jack Wrote: [ -> ]I played with one once when I was about 11 or 12.

Basically it is sitting in a dark room with a buddy, your fingers lightly touching the cold plastic of the planchette, the candlelight glow offering just enough light to see the letters on the board, dead still, for 40 minutes...

That's when you box the game back up, put it on the shelf, and never play with it again.

I will forever equate my Ouija experience to watching mold grow on a piece of stale bread.

Agreed. I seriously could never quite understand the point of the Ouija board. I mean, I thought they were cool, and just like anything like that, I WANTED to believe they would really work. But, it is just too hard to believe something like that is actually real, and my personal experience never made me believe otherwise. LOL!

The one thing I never quite understood... so is the whole point of a Ouija board that somebody is supposed to be in on it, and they are intentionally moving the pointer? Or is it some kind of physical thing where the way you hold it actually makes it move without anybody realizing it? Because, if the whole point of the Ouija board is just that somebody is supposed to be in on it and move it so everybody else thinks it is actually real, then that seems a little lame if you ask me. LOL! That would get old fast.
They function on something called the 'Ideomotor Effect'. Basically, we all have little nerve twitches, spasms, and other small fine motor adjustments. Get multiple people together trying to hold the same object steady, and we wind up involuntarily trying to correct for each other, pulling it in one direction or the other which creates the illusion of spontaneous movement. Once in motion, our expectations subtly influence the direction the object moves, and where it comes to rest.

It's an interesting excercise in applied psychology, but not an oracle.
(11-22-2012 06:49 AM)themanfromsaturn Wrote: [ -> ]They function on something called the 'Ideomotor Effect'. Basically, we all have little nerve twitches, spasms, and other small fine motor adjustments. Get multiple people together trying to hold the same object steady, and we wind up involuntarily trying to correct for each other, pulling it in one direction or the other which creates the illusion of spontaneous movement. Once in motion, our expectations subtly influence the direction the object moves, and where it comes to rest.

It's an interesting excercise in applied psychology, but not an oracle.

Awesome! Thanks, manfromsaturn. I always figured it was probably something along those lines. I mean, I'm sorry, but if the entire thing operated on the assumption that somebody was going to be in on it and intentionally move the thing, wouldn't that kind of ruin it? Eventually, most people would be aware that it was just a complete hoax. At least this way, it is actually a neat little trick.

I mean, otherwise, that would be like the magician showing that he actually had a camera man record the card the person selected and then tell him in his earpiece, and then he just flips through the deck manually and picks it. Where would be the fun in that. It's not like we aren't aware that magic tricks are just tricks, but it would ruin the effect if there was no actual trick to it. LOL!
Reference URL's