TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Barricades/Survival Decks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So After getting the new expansions I read the rules say that a hero can turn a movement roll of X+ to make a barricade or to draw from the survival decks.

I've always played that you don't get to roll the dice for movement unless you decide to move, this way it removes the whole, "I rolled a one, not going to bother moving i'll just search" so that you have to accept the dice rolls you get. Is this not how the game is meant to be played?

Instead my group just play in that, you can choose to build a barricade, roll the dice, if you fail you can just search (or use the movement) same and when wanting to use the survival decks, just roll the dice, failed the dice roll draw from the hero deck.

I've been doing a lot of reading of rules lately just to make sure we're playing the game correctly before we start tweaking it for custom scenarios and what not.

Cheers for any help
I've always found the game to be very balanced, its no different than a fight, where you can choose to play a weapon or fight cards after the initial dice are rolled. I'm sure its been playtested many times to make sure its fair.
(11-29-2012 06:06 AM)SmokinBaraka Wrote: [ -> ]I've always played that you don't get to roll the dice for movement unless you decide to move, this way it removes the whole, "I rolled a one, not going to bother moving i'll just search" so that you have to accept the dice rolls you get. Is this not how the game is meant to be played?

The rules for the base game clearly states (pp. 11) that A Hero may always roll to see how far they could Move before deciding wether to Search or Move. As I recall, before I bought SotF we never rolled before making our decision but with te barricade rules the 'roll before deciding to move' now does make more sense to me. I tend to think of the roll as an indication of the Hero's energy level in his/her current turn eg. does the legs feel like tree trunks, is he/she tired or ready for a sprint. Also, the good thing about this rule is that it prevents some of the whining about the heroes being underpowered.
(11-29-2012 10:17 AM)scarydk Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-29-2012 06:06 AM)SmokinBaraka Wrote: [ -> ]I've always played that you don't get to roll the dice for movement unless you decide to move, this way it removes the whole, "I rolled a one, not going to bother moving i'll just search" so that you have to accept the dice rolls you get. Is this not how the game is meant to be played?

The rules for the base game clearly states (pp. 11) that A Hero may always roll to see how far they could Move before deciding wether to Search or Move. As I recall, before I bought SotF we never rolled before making our decision but with te barricade rules the 'roll before deciding to move' now does make more sense to me. I tend to think of the roll as an indication of the Hero's energy level in his/her current turn eg. does the legs feel like tree trunks, is he/she tired or ready for a sprint. Also, the good thing about this rule is that it prevents some of the whining about the heroes being underpowered.

Our group also understands the rules to allow all Heroes to roll before making movement decisions.
p. 11 of Timber Peak (In a white box to emphasise its importance)

'Note that the Hero always rolls for movement to see how far they could move before deciding if they want to Move or Search'

I think the great frog's made a decision on this as before it was unclear. I didn't roll sometimes when I searched either. Now it's clear every Hero Must roll regardless what move action they choose to do. Yes this could open you up to cards like 'Twisted Ankle'
Hope this helps
It was pretty clear early on that rolled, and then searched if you wanted to depending on your result. It was called out in its own highlight box even in the original rule book.
lol, well that's another rule i missed reading, haha when we first played i was so eager i skimmed the rules, hence why i'm now trying to figure them all out. Thanks for the help guys.
Reference URL's