TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: How are Vallejo paints compared to GW?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I am thinking about getting some to try.
Also I really like the idea of having a dropper to dispense my paints.

Any recommendations (link) for a decent quality paint set?

Im trying to get me and my wife into painting our minis.
(12-04-2012 06:20 PM)wisdomknight Wrote: [ -> ]I am thinking about getting some to try.
Also I really like the idea of having a dropper to dispense my paints.

Any recommendations (link) for a decent quality paint set?

Im trying to get me and my wife into painting our minis.

They are both top quality paint companies.
Vallejo have a larger range of paints and they're cheaper. You get more paint. The dipper is easy to use but can get clogged. I've found their paints harder to get hold of in hobby shops.

Games Workshop's paints are easily available, but expensive.

I prefer GW myself but if I was starting out right now I'd probably go for Vallejo as they're cheaper if you fancy buyig a starting collection.

Hope this helps and I hope you both get into this great hobby and I will help you in any way I can!
Thanks man, I was hoping you'd give me your opinion on this Watchmen02

Yeah we are looking at the Vallejo 72 paint suitcase set.
It seems like a good deal at around $215-$225 on ebay...have 3 brushes and a really nice hard case.
Thats not good to hear about the clogging though Insane19
(12-04-2012 09:27 PM)wisdomknight Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks man, I was hoping you'd give me your opinion on this Watchmen02

Yeah we are looking at the Vallejo 72 paint suitcase set.
It seems like a good deal at around $215-$225 on ebay...have 3 brushes and a really nice hard case.
Thats not good to hear about the clogging though Insane19

I say go for it. The clogging can be solved easily with the help of a needle.
Everything samuraitrev says is completely true. Vallejo has alot going for it, but there are two big negatives as well; number one- Vallejo paints are generally more muted, less bold and strining than GW. Depending on what your taste, color scheme, etc., this may or may not be a problem. The second issue is that a lot of vallejo paints, particularly their browns, greens, and some blues, have a relatively high 'fail rate', reverting to a thin, useless state. At 1.75$ or so a tube, this isn't catastrophic, but you need to prepare yourself for the possibility that one out of five of your 225$ briefcase might be unusable, and that's a serious problem.
(12-04-2012 10:32 PM)themanfromsaturn Wrote: [ -> ]Everything samuraitrev says is completely true. Vallejo has alot going for it, but there are two big negatives as well; number one- Vallejo paints are generally more muted, less bold and strining than GW. Depending on what your taste, color scheme, etc., this may or may not be a problem. The second issue is that a lot of vallejo paints, particularly their browns, greens, and some blues, have a relatively high 'fail rate', reverting to a thin, useless state. At 1.75$ or so a tube, this isn't catastrophic, but you need to prepare yourself for the possibility that one out of five of your 225$ briefcase might be unusable, and that's a serious problem.

Ive never heard that...wow
I have used both brands for years now and never had a problem with clogging or paints being unusable from vallejo. I do however always use kitchenpaper to clean the tip of the bottle before closing them. And some bottles need a harder and longer shake than others but that also happens to de GW ones.

Wich do I prefer? I like them both so I'd say go for it WD. You can't go wrong with that set.
Happy painting!
(12-05-2012 09:21 AM)Emp Wrote: [ -> ]I have used both brands for years now and never had a problem with clogging or paints being unusable from vallejo. I do however always use kitchenpaper to clean the tip of the bottle before closing them. And some bottles need a harder and longer shake than others but that also happens to de GW ones.

Wich do I prefer? I like them both so I'd say go for it WD. You can't go wrong with that set.
Happy painting!

thanks EMP,
Im really excited to get started, Ive been watching some videos on miniature painting and I think it will go OK Watchmen02
Anyone have any opinions on Reaper Master Series Paints?
(12-05-2012 12:58 PM)wisdomknight Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-05-2012 09:21 AM)Emp Wrote: [ -> ]I have used both brands for years now and never had a problem with clogging or paints being unusable from vallejo. I do however always use kitchenpaper to clean the tip of the bottle before closing them. And some bottles need a harder and longer shake than others but that also happens to de GW ones.

Happy painting!

thanks EMP,
Im really excited to get started, Ive been watching some videos on miniature painting and I think it will go OK Watchmen02
I've actually done some painting videos if anyone's interested I could be persauded to release them... I actually held off as I'm a youtube virgin!
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's