TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Fun even if you're not zombie obsessed.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So, I know most of us are obsessed both with Last Night On Earth and with zombies in general. I know I am. However, I always felt that this game had something special. I always felt it was so much fun that you could really enjoy it, just for the sake of playing a cool board game, even if you aren’t a zombie fan.

Well, I actually have proof now that this is true. ;-) LOL! I have been playing this game with my best friend since the first grade lately. He is not really all that into zombies, Halloween, and that sort of thing like I am. Granted, I wouldn’t say he is the type of person who is specifically NOT into that stuff if you know what I mean. It isn’t like he hates it, he just doesn’t really care one way or the other.

However, we have been playing Last Night On Earth just about every time we hang out lately. I always make sure to tell him sincerely that we do not HAVE to play it if he doesn’t want, because I know he is not into zombies like I am. However, he always says to him it doesn’t matter that it is a zombie game, what matters is that it is a fun game. He enjoys the strategy to it. He enjoys the cards you play to try to screw each other over, the fight scenes, the various scenarios/objectives when you play as heroes, etc.

To me, this is just yet another example of why Flying Frog Productions, and this game in general, are so awesome! The game isn’t just fun because it is a zombie game. To us zombie-nuts, that is merely icing on the cake. The game is fun because it is just an awesome game, period!

Has anybody else ever played it with friends of yours who aren't necessarily zombie fans? Do you find the same thing, that they tend to enjoy the game anyway?
Cheers! I played this game at a game night with a girl who hates--I mean hates zombies, horror movies etc... Until she was the last hero remaining on a manor house game and won on the final turn with two wounds. Watchmen02
My wife, two daughters, and I have played this game around five times since purchasing it a couple of weeks ago. My eldest, who is twelve, has never seen a zombie flick, but for the past year or so has mentioned how 'cool' they were more than once. My youngest (10) has no clue whatsoever. Unless Littlest Pet Shop has a Zombie Unicorn, or something.

Still, our family has had an absolute blast playing this game together (minus the Last Night on Earth card). And if you have a family with children around the same age, you know how difficult it is to coordinate activities that the entire family can relate to, much less tolerate.

Plus it just amuses me to no end that the women in my life are capable of turning into such cold-blooded zombie slayers. My youngest wanted to rig a dynamite/gasoline bomb to Old Betsy, for crying out loud!!
Never really been a zombie specific fan. Loved many games (boardgames, wargames, card games), RPG's and computer games in the time I have been on the planet however. That's just always been me... enjoy all there is on offer really.

Similar to StayPuft's best friend there are a number of things about the game I think go above and beyond. For a start the mechanics and design I am absolutely awestruck over, even after having the game for more than 3 years. Just absolute genius. This "novelty" has never worn off.

Then we start to get into replayability, expansions, additions, variants, and more recently with Timber Peak representing "the next chapter" (for me it does anyway)... it's like it never ends. May it keep going too.

Just wanted to further emphasise replayability - this is absolutely critical for any game I play.
Absolutely! The replayability level of this game is just beyond amazing! There are so many different scenarios that change the game completely. Then, there are all the expansions, plus the ability to make your own scenarios. There are virtually endless ways to play this game, and endless things to add in like different types of zombies, different heroes, different weapons, etc. Then, there is even the fact that you can play each of the scenarios as heroes one day, then go back and play from the zombie side another time.

You can play this game 100 times and it could feel like a different game almost every time! I've never played a game like that before I discovered LNOE. I love it!
I don't really care for zombie movies or other zombie things but I'm a big fan of the game
Aw...good buddies rock.

One of my female friends (I'd give her the title of lead gamer in the group) came over the other day, and I had asked her to bring a few of her games. When she arrived, she requested several times to play LNOE. I kinda thought she was just humoring me, so I declined and suggested playing one of her games - at which point she clarified that she PREFERRED to play LNOE. It was a happy moment. Sometimes I worry about forcing it on friends too much during game nights.
That is awesome, Dillon! I love to hear when people who aren't really zombie fans still love this game anyway! Heck, you obviously liked it enough to join a message board about it! That is great!

(01-02-2013 03:01 AM)kassle Wrote: [ -> ]Aw...good buddies rock.

One of my female friends (I'd give her the title of lead gamer in the group) came over the other day, and I had asked her to bring a few of her games. When she arrived, she requested several times to play LNOE. I kinda thought she was just humoring me, so I declined and suggested playing one of her games - at which point she clarified that she PREFERRED to play LNOE. It was a happy moment. Sometimes I worry about forcing it on friends too much during game nights.

That is too cool! I know just what you mean too. I feel kind of bad in that I don't want to force the game on any of my friends or gaming group buddies. So, I always try to make it VERY clear that we don't always have to play it, we can play other things as well. With most people, it works well. They want to play it anyway. We do sometimes play other things as well, but my friends and gaming buddies never seem to mind playing a little Last Night On Earth.
One of my friends doesn't really like heavily thematic games.
She prefers simple party games and such.
So at first I thought she wouldn't enjoy playing this with us,
but as it turns out she really liked to work as a group with the heroes
and kick some zombie ass... And since then she has the most amazing dice luck, she rolls dem 6's like crazy x)
That is really cool, Vixx. This game is very thematic, so that is cool to hear that she still liked it even though she is more into party games. See, this game is just so awesome that it crosses all sorts of gamer boundaries! LOL!
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's