TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Size limit on posts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This question is for the powers that be that run this great site.

In April of 2012, I posted a review of about 40 zombie movies in the "Media" section of the board. I later expanded the post to include all types of horrors and thrillers.

By May, my post exceeded the size limit. I didn't receive any error message but realized this when I viewed the post and saw that it was truncated. So, I divided my original post into two posts (each containing half of the alphabet).

I have slowly continued to add reviews (I am up to 213 movies as of today) and I finally hit the size limit again. For today I fixed the problem by changing my first post to only hold A to L instead of A to M. But I have several more reviews to add to the M to Z post and I'm worried I will overflow that one, also. Do you all have any solutions you can offer?

I can stop adding to the posts but I do enjoy doing it and I think there are at least a few people who read the new reviews when I post them.

I could divide each post again into smaller alphabetic ranges. If we do that, I would ask that the new ones be stickied so that they appear together with the two current posts.

I could change the posts to just reflect the name of the movie and the rating (this would tremendously reduce the size of the posts) and provide a link to some other place containing the full reviews but I'm not sure where that would be. I don't have my own web site at this time.

Let me know what you think is the best solution. Thanks.
Hmm. Let me think on ideas.
There is a maximum limit (4294967295) to the amount of characters (bytes) a single post can have. There's nothing I can do about it.
GC, I think the best solution is to separate each letter into its own post, and maintain a master index post that simply has the titles of the films you've reviewed and the links to each of the separate posts. When you make that post. Make sure you post a few replies in it early on to reserve "multiple posts" at the top of that one thread for yourself.

Alternatively, you might post your reviews in a plain text file (.txt; use Notepad or Notepad++) and attach that to your thread's first post.
(02-05-2013 08:47 PM)mqstout Wrote: [ -> ]GC, I think the best solution is to separate each letter into its own post, and maintain a master index post that simply has the titles of the films you've reviewed and the links to each of the separate posts. When you make that post. Make sure you post a few replies in it early on to reserve "multiple posts" at the top of that one thread for yourself.

Alternatively, you might post your reviews in a plain text file (.txt; use Notepad or Notepad++) and attach that to your thread's first post.

Cool, I think I understand. The main post up top will just be the names and ratings. Then there will be 26 links in the post going to posts for movies beginning with each letter. I think that will work!

I will work on it this weekend. Thanks, mqstout!

(02-05-2013 07:05 PM)Sarku Wrote: [ -> ]There is a maximum limit (4294967295) to the amount of characters (bytes) a single post can have. There's nothing I can do about it.

Well when you put it that way, it makes the size of my post sound ridiculous! haha I think mqstout has provided a good solution.

Thanks,
It's a pain. There's nothing I can do. It's funny because I have it set to "UNLIMITED" but even that has a limit. Zombie17
I've reorganized my reviews! The stickied post at the top is just an index with all of the movie titles. I've divided the actual reviews into 9 posts (I thought 26 would be overkill) that you reach from the links in the index. I think it actually looks better this way.

Thanks for the suggestion, mqstout! Now I can fritter away endless more hours on horror movies and know that there is always room for me to post my opinions! Watchmen02
(02-10-2013 04:48 PM)goodcop2000 Wrote: [ -> ]I've reorganized my reviews! The stickied post at the top is just an index with all of the movie titles. I've divided the actual reviews into 9 posts (I thought 26 would be overkill) that you reach from the links in the index. I think it actually looks better this way.

Thanks for the suggestion, mqstout! Now I can fritter away endless more hours on horror movies and know that there is always room for me to post my opinions! Watchmen02

Nice work goodcop. I always use your reviews and check out your opinions on films after I've watched them.
(02-10-2013 06:01 PM)samuraitrev Wrote: [ -> ]Nice work goodcop. I always use your reviews and check out your opinions on films after I've watched them.

Thanks, Trev. I always appreciate kind words from a renaissance man like yourself. Watchmen02
Reference URL's