TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: It's going to be a good night... but not my last...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is a short post. I'm just excited and wanted to share. I woke this morning, poured a cup of joe when suddenly my phone goes off. My friend/bassist (who is' currently recovering from shoulder surgery) sends me this "Hey dude, there's a box on the porch for you" (He lives under me). SQUEE!! I run down, find the package, run back up, scare the hell out of my cat, and I open it....

[attachment=1981]

YESSSS!!!! Best part is that my lady is off tomorrow, so we'll be playing a for a while tonight!!!

Quick question: I think I may have flubbed the rules up... what are the rules on killing the zombie. I thought it was rolling higher than the zed, on ties nothing happens/hero escapes, zed rolls higher they take a wound... is that correct?
LOL! Thanks for the story! It was fun sharing in your excitement through your story! Good luck! Hope you get to play as often as you want!

Anyways, here are some of the basic rules on fights:

- Heroes roll 2 fight dice (unless otherwise stated in a card, or some kind of effect)

- Zombies roll 1 fight die (unless otherwise stated in a card, or some kind of effect)

- Whoever rolls higher (including if a card or other ability allows one of them to add or subtract) wins the fight

- If the heroes win the fight but DO NOT roll doubles, the zombie is "fended off." This means the hero won, and is NOT wounded, but the zombie is not wounded either and remains on the board. The fight is considered to be over (so, for example, if the fight happened during the zombie turn, the hero could then freely move away from the zombie on their turn).

- If the heroes win AND roll doubles on their fight dice, they wound the zombie (and most zombies are killed with one wound). Remember that the doubles themselves DO NOT have to be higher than the zombie's as long as one of the fight dice was higher. For example:

-- The hero rolls a 6 and a 4
-- The zombie rolls a 5
-- The hero decides to go for the kill, using a weapon card that allows them to roll an extra fight dice. They roll another 4, so their rolls were 6, 4, 4. They now killed the zombie because their 6 was higher than the zombie's 5 AND they rolled doubles.

It is all a little confusing at first, but it really is not that hard once you get used to it. Did that all make sense? I hope I didn't just over-explain and confuse you further. LOL! Let me know if you have any follow-up questions. Enjoy the game! ;-)
(02-07-2013 09:25 PM)StayPuft Wrote: [ -> ]LOL! Thanks for the story! It was fun sharing in your excitement through your story! Good luck! Hope you get to play as often as you want!

- Heroes roll 2 fight dice (unless otherwise stated in a card, or some kind of effect)

- Zombies roll 1 fight die (unless otherwise stated in a card, or some kind of effect)

- Whoever rolls higher (including if a card or other ability allows one of them to add or subtract) wins the fight

- If the heroes win the fight but DO NOT roll doubles, the zombie is "fended off." This means the hero won, and is NOT wounded, but the zombie is not wounded either and remains on the board. The fight is considered to be over (so, for example, if the fight happened during the zombie turn, the hero could then freely move away from the zombie on their turn).

- If the heroes win AND roll doubles on their fight dice, they wound the zombie (and most zombies are killed with one wound). Remember that the doubles themselves DO NOT have to be higher than the zombie's as long as one of the fight dice was higher. For example:

-- The zombie rolls a 5
-- The hero decides to go for the kill, using a weapon card that allows them to roll an extra fight dice. They roll another 4, so their rolls were 6, 4, 4. They now killed the zombie because their 6 was higher than the zombie's 5 AND they rolled doubles.

It is all a little confusing at first, but it really is not that hard once you get used to it. Did that all make sense? I hope I didn't just over-explain and confuse you further. LOL! Let me know if you have any follow-up questions. Enjoy the game! ;-)

Crystal Clear! Holy mother of god have we been playing wrong! HA! Still been having a blast though! Time to kill the girlfriend now that I know her (and my) understanding of the fight rules were wrong! (she usually plays hero's). Time to get my dead on!

(02-07-2013 09:49 PM)sdmfcrypticrob Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-07-2013 09:25 PM)StayPuft Wrote: [ -> ]LOL! Thanks for the story! It was fun sharing in your excitement through your story! Good luck! Hope you get to play as often as you want!

-- The zombie rolls a 5

Crystal Clear! Holy mother of god have we been playing wrong! HA! Still been having a blast though! Time to kill the girlfriend now that I know her (and my) understanding of the fight rules were wrong! (she usually plays hero's). Time to get my dead on!

Let me clear this up real quick... Say the hero has a baseball bat... they can only use that after they win the initial fight? To go for the kill? Not during the initial roll
Nope, you can even choose to roll ALL of your extra fightdice at once.
We do it over here like that.
For example if the hero has the baseball bat he gets an extra fightdice. So the hero player rolls 3 dice instead of his initial 2.
You can start with 2 dice and then choose to roll the extra fight dice if you think you neef it. See t like you decide to use the bat instead of just your bare hands. Using that weapon then ofcourse puts you open to the chance of losing that weapon because ot breaks or something.
But I think taking the chance of losing that weapon is worth it because it gives you the extra advatage you need when you want to dispose of the undead.
(02-07-2013 10:06 PM)Emp Wrote: [ -> ]Nope, you can even choose to roll ALL of your extra fightdice at once.
For example if the hero has the baseball bat he gets an extra fightdice. So the hero player rolls 3 dice instead of his initial 2.
You can start with 2 dice and then choose to roll the extra fight dice if you think you neef it. See t like you decide to use the bat instead of just your bare hands. Using that weapon then ofcourse puts you open to the chance of losing that weapon because ot breaks or something.
But I think taking the chance of losing that weapon is worth it because it gives you the extra advatage you need when you want to dispose of the undead.

Ahh, ok, that's how we've been doing it... Just needed to make sure. Thanks for clearing that up. I was never a gamer until I got this game so the advice is much obliged!
one more detail, you said "on ties nothing happens/hero escapes" that is incorrect
on ties zombie wins and hero takes damage MUHAHAHAHAHAHA (evil laugh)

...and then you throw a "I feel kinda strange" and the hero is doomed MUIIIIIHAHAHHAHAHAH (even more evil laugh)
got two kills last night with the "I Feel Kinda Strange" Card. Megg needed to drop one more gas and light her up. but it never happened. The Dead Shall Walk The Earth!!
(02-07-2013 10:06 PM)Emp Wrote: [ -> ]Nope, you can even choose to roll ALL of your extra fightdice at once.

Emp is correct. Unless the card says otherwise, you can choose to use a Hand Weapon right away, or can even choose to not use it at first, and only use it if you want. This can often be a good strategy, because sometimes you will roll your initial fight dice and be happy with the result, not even needing to use the weapon anyway, and then you don't risk losing it. Or, you can roll your initial fight dice, and decide you want to try to use a weapon for help (either because you lost and hope to roll higher this time, or because, as the hero, you won and hope you can roll doubles to get the kill).

Also, be sure to pay close attention to the card text. The baseball bat, for example, can be used multiple times in each fight, but after each use, you have to roll to see if it breaks.. To give you one example:

- The Hero rolls: 1 and 3
- The Zombie rolls 4
- The Hero uses the bat and rolls a 2. CRAP! They still lost. They roll the dice again and roll a 4 (separate roll, so it is not part of your fight dice). At least the bat didn't break.
- The Hero tries the bat again. They roll a 3. DANG IT! Still lost. They roll it again and roll a 4 (separate roll, so it is not part of your fight dice). At least it still didn't break.
- The Hero tries the bat again. They roll a 5. SUCCESS! They beat the zombie. They also happened to roll another 3 in the above example on their extra fight dice from using the bat, so the zombie is killed. They now roll to check if the bat breaks. They roll a 1. Darn! Guess you must have broken the bat over the zombie's head. But, at least it killed it. ;-)

Does that make sense? If not, feel free to ask further questions. But, remember, pay close attention to the text of the cards. Other weapons may be different.

Oh, and thank you to argail for filling in one important thing I did forget to mention. Zombies win on ties, unless otherwise stated in a card, special ability, etc. For example, Johnny the Highschool Quarterback has the special ability "Tough" meaning he wins on ties.
StayPuft is correct you need to roll to check if the bat breaks after each roll it was used which is not part of the fight dice. this keeps the bat from being too overpowered.
Exactly. But remember that other weapons are handled differently. For example, when it comes to range weapons, the shotgun is worded in a way that almost sounds similar to the baseball bat (thought that is a hand weapon instead of a ranged weapon). If you didn't know better, you might think it was similar. However, (and I actually confirmed this here once) here is how you correctly use the shotgun:

- You can target a space containing zombies (or gasoline you wish to ignite, something else you are meant to attack for a specific scenario, etc.)

- For every zombie (or other target) in that space, you roll a separate D6. Without having the card in front of me, I forget the specific text. If I recall, I think you needed to roll a 4+. I may be wrong, but for the sake of my explanation, pretending that was correct...

- Say the space you target has 3 zombies...

- Zombie 1 - you roll a 2. That zombie was not wounded.
- Zombie 2 - you roll a 4. That zombie was wounded (most zombies die after one wound).
- Zombie 3 - you roll a 5. That zombie was wounded (most zombies die after one wound).

- THEN you roll to see if the shotgun is now out. In other words, it IS NOT... Shoot one zombie, roll to see if out. Shoot another zombie, roll to see if out. Shoot the other zombie... etc. Instead, you shoot them all, THEN check to see if the gun is out. The thematic idea being you shot once at the general area, and the buck shot went all over the place, maybe hitting several zombies and maybe not others.

Make sense?
Reference URL's