TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Burn It To The Ground question.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My best friend and I played "Burn It to the Ground" last month when I visited. I had just gotten Growing Hunger for Christmas. In this scenario, you use the Manor House, and it has 4 spawning pits. The scenario states that the heroes must find gasoline to douse all 4 spawning pits and then start the fire to burn down the Manor.

So, does this mean the heroes literally have to find 4 different gasoline cards? We thought that seemed kind of a little harsh. However, as far as we knew, it sure sounded like that was what it meant. After all, typically when you have the gasoline, you discard it to douse one spot on the board.

The problem we had with that is, that almost sounds too hard if you have to literally find 4 gasoline cards, but way too easy if you just have to find one.

Also, it doesn't say anything about dynamite. So, I guess that means you can only use gasoline, NOT dynamite. Is that correct?
If you look at the mission card good you can see that it says that you need to place a marker on all 4 spots. Once all 4 pits have been doused you can ignite it with any item wich is stated as "fire".

Inside the growing hunger rulebook there is also a little extra rule specificly for this mission and it is about the board section with the gas station on it. Wich leads me to believe that you need to find 4 gasoline markers. But that you can retrieve them from the discard pile (if you have like the option of "pick up gasoline")

So the mission says "place a gasmarker on each pit" and then it says "once doused..."
And "to douse" you must follow the usage of gasoline. Pour it during your move turn (if i remeber correctly) and discard the gasoline card.
You do need to find 4 gas markers I have beaten this one one time only but it's a hard one you need to luck of the draw for sure and search the piss out of that board!
I think that gasoline is a scenario search item for this one, so there are other cards ("Just What I Needed") that will let you pull them out of the decks. You don't necessarily have to draw 4 gasoline cards from the deck.
Oh,

One more question I thought of. So, since you add 4 spawning pits to the Manor House, I assume that means that the zombie player is supposed to use them. Is that correct? So, in other words, you start that game with 8 spawning pits instead of the normal 4, and still have to spread your zombies evenly amongst them, correct?

I ask just to clarify, because that is another part of the scenario that almost makes it seem unfairly balanced. You can intentionally spawn a bunch of zombies right in the Manor House and decide to just keep them all there because you know the heroes eventually have to go there.

(02-09-2013 01:26 AM)vikinglad Wrote: [ -> ]I think that gasoline is a scenario search item for this one, so there are other cards ("Just What I Needed") that will let you pull them out of the decks. You don't necessarily have to draw 4 gasoline cards from the deck.

That's true. Still seems a bit overly difficult. Just a bit, anyway. I mean, for the record, are there even 4 gasoline cards in the deck? I can't remember for sure.

Emp,

I don't have the rulebook in front of me. Was there a specific rule for this scenario regarding if you happen to draw the board section with the gas station? I don't recall off the top of my head. Because to me, honestly that almost feels like the only thing that would make it kind of fair and balanced. Because then the heroes still need to find the gasoline first, but then they at least have a decent chance to get it three more times after that. Yet, they still have to leave the manor, or wherever else they may be, to get back to the gas station. So, it still leaves them vulnerable to attack. Otherwise, it just feels to me like expecting the heroes to find four copies of the same card, or otherwise find some of the "Just What I Needed" type cards is a lot to expect.
Yes, there is something in the rulebook from Growing Hunter. And I just know you will get a kick out of this one mate Watchmen02

"Heroes that enter play during the game may not be placed in the Manir House, they must be placed in a random building. You may find that if the Gas Station is on the board, the Heroes have a somewhat easier time of burning down the manor house. If this is the case, you can offset this by allowing the Zombie Player to choose their grave dead ability."

You are correct about deviding the zombies over the zombiepits. That is just one of those things wich sometimes comes in handy but most of the time is a pain in the butt for the Zombie Player.

When zombies decide to swarm the mansion there is always the usage of zombiehunger to draw them out. Lure them away with one thoughguy hero and have another one shoot them from a distance when they come out.

This is not a real difficult scenario for the heroes but it needs to be played with heroes that play with no fear of getting hit. I found that this scenario goes bad with my playing group who tends to dig in an search for the good stuff before the even dare to confront any zombies. And then I have another couple of guys who would jump in naked if they feel like it...and they don't find it all that hard.
Also, if you happen to have the junk yard (think that's what the board is) on the board, it makes this scenario much easier.
(02-11-2013 10:44 PM)Emp Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, there is something in the rulebook from Growing Hunter. And I just know you will get a kick out of this one mate Watchmen02

"Heroes that enter play during the game may not be placed in the Manir House, they must be placed in a random building. You may find that if the Gas Station is on the board, the Heroes have a somewhat easier time of burning down the manor house. If this is the case, you can offset this by allowing the Zombie Player to choose their grave dead ability."

You are correct about deviding the zombies over the zombiepits. That is just one of those things wich sometimes comes in handy but most of the time is a pain in the butt for the Zombie Player.

When zombies decide to swarm the mansion there is always the usage of zombiehunger to draw them out. Lure them away with one thoughguy hero and have another one shoot them from a distance when they come out.

This is not a real difficult scenario for the heroes but it needs to be played with heroes that play with no fear of getting hit. I found that this scenario goes bad with my playing group who tends to dig in an search for the good stuff before the even dare to confront any zombies. And then I have another couple of guys who would jump in naked if they feel like it...and they don't find it all that hard.

...Interesting way of wording that. You managed to fit the words naked and hard into the same sentence and it actually WASN'T dirty. LOL! Now that is talent.

Thanks for the clarification. So, that rule doesn't actually state that you can't have the gas station on the board. It just suggests a possible work-around if it does wind up on the board for this scenario and you want to therefore balance things out a little.

Also, thanks for clarifying about the extra spawning pits you use in this scenario. I figured that was probably the case, so that was how we played it. But, as I said, you can see how that could be kind of unbalanced, because that makes it really easy for the zombie player(s) to spawn a few zombies inside the Manor House and then choose to just leave them there.

Granted, as you said, you can always use Zombie Hunger to have one hero lure them out. Thing is, if they leave zombies in all four of the pits, you couldn't necessarily get all of them out at the same time. So, it is still making it harder on the heroes.

Not to mention, everybody always seems to say that as though it is this magical solution. Honestly, luring zombies away using Zombie Hunger is very rarely all that good of an idea. LOL! Especially as the board fills up with more and more zombies. Often times, doing that is nearly a guarantee that the hero is about to get killed. Of course, there is always a fighting chance, but you still never known. Plus, it isn't like that even helps all that much. You'd still only be able to get the zombies to move one space at a time. Even if you survive and decide to lure them away again, you can only do so from one additional space.

In all likelihood, the hero will probably quickly die, and the zombies would still only be one, or a few spaces away from getting back where you didn't want them in the first place. LOL! Granted, sometimes that is all you need, but I just don't see it being this magic bullet of a solution everybody always seems to think it is. LOL!

Rullys,

I forget what the junk yard's pick up ability was. Is that the one where you get to pick up a random card from the discard pile, or something like that?
Reference URL's