TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Tips and advices for a complete beginner.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello zombie fellas,
since I got LNoE and spoke a lot about tabletop with one of my friends, I am more and more interested in painting miniatures.
I now decided to give it a try but before to start I need some equipment. I watched 'samuraitrevs' videos which help a lot. To buy no crap I would go with brushes and paint from GW.
But now there is the question which and how many colors you need to start. Can you give me tips and/or correct my shopping list for brushes and paint?

- Black & white undercoat

BASE (11):
- Mephiston Red
- Khorne Red
- Kantor Blue
- Caledor Sky
- Caliban Green
- Death World Forest
- Zandri Dust
- Ratskin Flesh
- Xv-88
- Mechanicus Standard Grey
- Abaddon Black

SHADE (8):
- Casandora Yellow
- Drakenhof Nightschade
- Biel-tan Green
- Athonian Camoshade
- Seraphim Sepia
- Reikland Fleshshade
- Agrax Earthshade
- Nuln Oil

LAYER (12):
- Flash Gitz Yellow
- Fire Dragon Bright
- Wild Rider Red
- Genestealer Purple
- Warpfiend Grey
- oeth Blue
- Lothern Blue
- Moot Green
- Screaming Skull
- Ungor Flesh
- Skrag Brown
- Administratum Grey

BRUSHES (4):
- fine detailbrush
- standardbrush
- small drybrush
- medium drybrush
I'm sure you'll get a million opinions, so here is mine... Watchmen02 I'm going to start with the brushes, personally I would skip the med dry brush and stick with just the small dry brush. Maybe double up on the standard brush. I have mostly sable brushes, and I use hair gel after I was them to reshape them, dab some on your finger and work it in then get the excess out while you shape. It's like a new brush every time.
Your base selection looks very solid, I would add averland sunset to your selection though.
Shades add Carroburgh Crimson.
Layers add Cadian Fleshtone and White Scar.. Possibly Ushabti Bone, oh and Ironbreaker in case you have the Grave Weapon Mini Set.

Also, I suggest looking around and finding a thread I made about a Wet Pallet. It was recent and in the painting section, my pallet will dry out in less than a min due to my climate zone, this gives me a day of workable paint without hitting up my pot too much. Also I went on amazon and got a knock off optiVisor for like 5 bucks, goes for 1.5X magnification up to 10.5X and it has adjustable LEDs on it.. BIG help...

I'm nowhere near as good as the others here but each one gets better and better I think. Read the threads, watch Trevs videos, also look up on YouTube "how to paint citadel miniatures" or get the book under the same title, it has the vid o DVD and the info in the book is priceless.
(03-07-2013 11:11 AM)zelectah Wrote: [ -> ]- Black & white undercoat + varnish (Spray paint)

BASE (some changes) (11):
- Mephiston Red
- Bugman's Glow (deep flesh tone, great for applying highlights over)
- Caledor Sky
- Caliban Green
- Zandri Dust (bone)
- Ratskin Flesh
- Mechanicus Standard Grey
- Abaddon Black
- Lead Belcher (metallics for weapons)
- The Fang (optional but perfect for denim)
- Mournfang Brown (you need a solid brown in there too for hair, wood)

SHADE (some changes now and reduced by 1) (7):
- Drakenhof Nightschade
- Biel-tan Green
- Reikland Fleshshade
- Agrax Earthshade
- Nuln Oil
- Druchii Violet (Zombie flesh shade)
- Carroburg Crimson (to shade Mephiston Red)

LAYER 1 (1st Highlight reduced to 10 and changed to match the previous paints (10):
- Teclis Blue (to highlight Caledor Sky)
- Evil Sunz Scarlet (to highlight Mephiston Red)
- Ushabti Bone (to highlight Zandri Dust)
- Warpstone Glow (to highlight Caliban Green)
- Russ Grey (to highlight The Fang)
- Eshin Grey (to highlight Abaddon Black)
- Dawnstone (to highlight Mechanicus Standard Grey)
- Skrag Brown (to highlight Mournfang Brown)
- Cadian Fleshtone (to highlight Bugman's Glow)
- Iron Breaker (to highlight Leadbelcher)

If you leave the paints at this stage they will be quite dull. If you want to make them 'pop' add at least 1 more highlight. There's 2 ways of doing this. Add white to the highlights above or go rob a bank and get the next set of highlights!

LAYER 2 (2nd highlight (9)
Lothern Blue (to highlight Teclis Blue)
Wild Rider Red (to highlight Evil Sunz Scarlet)
Screaming Skull (to highlight Ushabti Bone)
Kislev Flesh (to highlight Cadian Fleshtone)
Runefang Steel (to highlight Leadbelcher)
Moot Green (to highlight Caliban Green)
Fenrisian Grey (to highlight The Fang)
Administratum Grey (to highlight Mechanicus Standard Grey)
Deathclaw Brown (to highlight Deathclaw Brown)

BRUSHES (changed fine detail to detail, remover large drybrush) (3):
- Detail Brush
- Standard Brush
- Small Drybrush

Your shopping list got larger by
1 can of Spray Paint (varnish)
6 Paints

I hope this helps. You don't have any pink, yellow, orange, purple or white but you can add those when you paid off the huge debt. Good quality paints and brushes are great to use and will help with your efforts but the most important tools for a painter are things like patience and correct lighting (ideally daylight or a lamp with a daylight bulb).

If I can help in anyway just ask no matter how basic the question I will try to help. I wish you all the best with your new hobby.
Thank you very much and thanks for the correction of my list. Exactly what I needed and now I can go shopping, muhaha.

Thanks samuraitrev for

(03-07-2013 06:13 PM)samuraitrev Wrote: [ -> ]If I can help in anyway just ask no matter how basic the question I will try to help. I wish you all the best with your new hobby.

I am sure I'll get to this Watchmen02.
Reference URL's