TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Question about when you can play card after Hero dies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My group had a situation come up last night and I was hoping you guys could help me with it. First off, I hope this is correct, but we play when a hero dies the player still gets to keep the event cards they were holding. As per page 15 of the rulebook says "Any Items the Hero had are immediately discarded. And Event cards the player has in his hand are unaffected." So the hero loses their items, but the player keeps event cards.

So, we had a turn with a 3 different heroes fighting a bunch of zombies. The first hero dies, becomes a zombie hero, and gets a new hero character. They choose to start in the center of town with a free hero card. That card is an event. There are still 2 heroes that have to fight. Can they play that event card they just drew to help the remaining heroes in fights that turn??

One side said no because "Any time a Hero or Zombie Hero enters play mid-game, they do not get to participate in the current phase of the game turn. After the current phase is complete, they act normally in every way." Playing an event card would be considered participating, which they cannot do this phase.

The other side said yes because event cards are associated with the player, not the hero. Going along with not having to discard events, because they belong to the player, not the hero. So its not the hero participating, its the player.

Anyone have a ruling on this? Thanks.
(03-11-2013 04:05 PM)blakeb Wrote: [ -> ]My group had a situation come up last night and I was hoping you guys could help me with it. First off, I hope this is correct, but we play when a hero dies the player still gets to keep the event cards they were holding. As per page 15 of the rulebook says "Any Items the Hero had are immediately discarded. And Event cards the player has in his hand are unaffected." So the hero loses their items, but the player keeps event cards.

Yes, you are playing this correctly.

(03-11-2013 04:05 PM)blakeb Wrote: [ -> ]So, we had a turn with a 3 different heroes fighting a bunch of zombies. The first hero dies, becomes a zombie hero, and gets a new hero character. They choose to start in the center of town with a free hero card. That card is an event. There are still 2 heroes that have to fight. Can they play that event card they just drew to help the remaining heroes in fights that turn??

The New Hero cannot do anything if it's the Zombie Turn.
The New Hero can take their Turn as normal if they arrived in the Hero Turn.
You can use the new event card regardless because it's taken to the Heroes hand as a whole.

Below is Jason C. Hill's official ruling
'Any time a Hero or Zombie Hero enters play mid-game, they do not get to participate in the current phase of the game turn. After the current phase is complete, they act normally in every way.'

So for instance, if it is the Zombie Turn in the 'Fight Heroes' phase and a Hero is killed, they are immediately replaced with both a Zombie Hero and a new character for the Hero player. Neither of them is allowed to take part in a Fight this turn because the current phase is 'Fight Heroes'.

If a Hero is killed in the Hero Turn during their 'Fight Zombies' phase, a new Hero is immediately placed (as well as the Zombie Hero). The new Hero MAY take a full turn as the current phase when the Hero died was the old character's 'Fight Zombies' phase (Hero Turn phases are character specific and consequently each phase is very short).

This may seem odd as potentially you could have 5 Heroes go within the confines of a single Hero Turn, but this is a very small bonus for losing one of your characters. It also means that the new Zombie Hero will get to do their full turn when the Zombie Turn starts
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/1719221#1719221

From the Timber Peak Rulebook p.11
'Note that Events are NOT associated with any one
Hero, but are instead held by the Player to be played
when appropriate.'

The Timber Peak Rulebook is available digitally here http://www.flyingfrog.net/lastnightonear...AL_WEB.pdf
OK that's what we eventually decided on. We let the card be used because event cards are held by the player, not the hero. Thank you!
The rulebook is also available in the downloads section.
Reference URL's