TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: oh no zombies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
picked up this board game a couple weeks ago.. finally got to play it this weekend.

4 player. rules are printed on an insert inside the box.. so not very extensive rules. I was thinking it might be too simple.. but it actually made for a pretty fun play.

premis is you and out to 3 other survivors are in a shack inthe middle of a small village.. cell phones got no service.. but there is a cb radio in the shack.. but batteries are dead. you have to follow a path ( various paths ) to make it into town to one of the small shops on the edge of town ( 4 shops at board corners ) anf get some batteries.. and then get back to the shack.

there are 1-used shotguns in each shack with the bats. there are 6 zombies on the board in preset locations. there are also a few 1 use hand weapons that auto respawn after use. they are at preset locations. the do not kill zombies.. they just fend them off and let you move away a few spaces. player takes a turn. rolls dice, moves. then a player tot he right rolls to move the zombies. play then passes to player on the left of original player, witthe player to the right of the active player doing the zombie turn. IE.. play passes left.. and the zombie player is always the previous player.

pretty simple. if you have a weapon you automatically kill or flee a zombie. if no weapon you draw from the 20 card deck. lots of lil story line details as to what happens onthe cards.. ( may move away from a zombie.. may kill a zombie.. may get turned into a zombie. ).. overall.. on a draw.. you have a 40% chance to die. if you die, you become a zombie.. and still mve on your turn.. etc.

neat game... it was cheap.. like 9$ at amazon.

zed figs are large.. like 28-30mm and not super detailed.. and solid color.. but again.. it's a fun play. a game can be setup in 5 minutes and play thru in 30m.

so for a quick zed fix.. you can be in and out in 40m
I might get that to play with my 7 yr old. Cards are pretty easy to read? I mean no huge strange words? He's dying to play LNOE, it's just a little beyond him at the moment..
it will be PERFECT for that.

when I played this weekend.. I played with my buddy.. he has a 15yr old neice and a 7yr old niece.

the 4 of us played a couple games thru.. then some without the 7yr old. i sat next to the youngun and pronounced a few words on the cards.. but the cards are easy print mostly.

" You turn around and punch the zombie behind you and then run 2 spaces"

or

" you slap the zombie and for a few seconds it looks stunned, then it lunges forward biting your arm turning you into a zombie"

that kind of stuff.

the moves are easy.. it's a path of stones you move the piece on..

and on the 'zombie' turn.. the person controlling them can choose to move the zeds away from their character and towards your character.. etc.. a 3 color die tells you what zombies to move. light, medium or dark green. a black die tells you how many spaces they move. the white die tells you how many spaces to move your character.

if one of the 4 player character becomes a zed... there is a zed figure you replace your player character with.. it looks more zombified..e tc.

fighting is easy.

you either:

automatically kill a zombie if it is on your space and you have a shotgun token. once used.. remove the zed and the shotgun from t he game ( 4 shotguns )

or, if you have a shovel, torch or criquet bat you merely fend it off and move 2-4 spaces depending on what the card says... then place that card back on the board in it's spot ( has a location for each hand weapon drawn on board ).

or.. if no weapon.. draw a card and resolve. the cards either make you win the fight, staying put and kill the zombie, win the fight/evade and move away from the zombie, loose the fight.. etc

i highly reccomend this as an intro game getting kids into the zombie board games.

and it's plenty enough fun for some adults to kill a half hour as well, as ont he zombie turn you can 'put it' to your neighbor so to speak.
I actually saw that in some catalog years before I was ever even introduced to Last Night On Earth. I have always wanted to pick it up but never got around to it. I will have to see if I can pick it up sometime. Always nice to have a few extra zombies games that are fun to play. I haven't heard good things about too many of them. So far, the only good ones I have played are LNOE and Zombicide.

Though, there were a few zombie VERSIONS of other games, like Zombie Fluxx that were pretty good. But, to me, that isn't exactly the same thing. It isn't a zombie game, it is just a zombie version of an existing game.
I'm kinda torn between this and Zombies!!! I like that this is simple and cost effective, zombies I'd end up going broke trying to get the 30 some expansions they have made...
i have zombicide setting on my desk. havn't cracked the box open yet..

(05-06-2013 07:33 PM)friskers96 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm kinda torn between this and Zombies!!! I like that this is simple and cost effective, zombies I'd end up going broke trying to get the 30 some expansions they have made...

yep.. too many expansions. and zombies!!! is pretty much cut-throat IMHO....
I really, really hate to say it, but I was not very impressed by "Zombies!!!" I wanted to love it, but it just wasn't that great. I mean, it is definitely one I would love to own just for the sake of having another zombie game. Plus, I wouldn't mind playing it from time to time. But, it just wasn't that great.

We tried it in my gaming group. We all enjoyed it... until maybe about halfway through. Then it just got repetitive and took too long to be over... and we played the "short" version of the game.

I have heard that when you get some of the expansions and/or customize it a little with some of your own house rules, custom scenarios, stuff like that, that is can actually be a decent game. However, to me, if you are telling me that in order for a game to be good, I have to make up my own rules, or buy a bunch of expensive expansions for it, then that doesn't exactly instill me with much confidence in the game.

To sum it up, I'd recommend playing the game just for the sake of getting to experience it. Heck, I'd even recommend buying it if you found it on sale for a good price. But, I wouldn't recommend you rush out and buy it right away no matter the cost. It isn't one I'd call a MUST own.
yep.. zombies!!! is just so-so as zed games go.

all in all.. i prefer full coop games.
Reference URL's