TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Card Question - Loner
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
While playing with a friend this weekend, we had a couple questions come up. I thought this one may have been addressed here before, but wasn't sure and couldn't find the thread.

This is regarding the Zombie card "Loner." It is a remains in play card that you can play on a Hero, and they can no longer end their move action in the same space as another hero. I played it expertly on Beck the Nurse, so she could no longer heal anybody. LOL! Evil!

However, one thing I never thought of before...

If you take the text on the card at face value, and take it quite literally, it says that hero may not end THEIR move action in the same space as another hero.

So, does that mean that, technically, you could move them first, then the other heroes could move into THEIR space if need be? After all, the hero who is a loner did not choose to end in the same space as another hero, the hero came to them.

I kind of think that it is meant that they just cannot be in the same space as another hero. Otherwise, you would just move them first and basically negate the whole point of the card. But, I figured it wouldn't hurt to be 100% sure. Sometimes the wording of the card is exactly how you are supposed to play it.
I've run into this myself, I went with the literal sense and moved people into their space instead. I played a zombie card last night that was similar, "Lets Split Up", similar in the respect that you can't end your move in the same space (or even building), but it's specific in saying that every hero. It is global for a turn though. Oh! I read the text for loner again, "That Hero may not end their Move Action in the same space as another Hero.". I think "That" and "their" are the key to this.. I stick with my call, others can move into the space...
(05-06-2013 07:51 PM)friskers96 Wrote: [ -> ]I've run into this myself, I went with the literal sense and moved people into their space instead. I played a zombie card last night that was similar, "Lets Split Up", similar in the respect that you can't end your move in the same space (or even building), but it's specific in saying that every hero. It is global for a turn though. Oh! I read the text for loner again, "That Hero may not end their Move Action in the same space as another Hero.". I think "That" and "their" are the key to this.. I stick with my call, others can move into the space...

This is correct. Loner prevents the hero it is played on from ending their turn in the same space as another hero, but that does not prevent the other heroes from ending their turn in the "Loner" hero's space. But that means that during the Loner hero's movement phase if there is another hero in their space then they HAVE to move as, obviously, they cannot stay there.
Other Heroes can still move into their space. If it helps, just think about it thematically. Yeah, a character can want to be alone, but that doesn't mean that everybody else needs to let them.
I agree with Friskers and Bloated One!

edit and Twilight!
Thank you for the clarification, everybody. I always assumed it was the other way around (that they cannot be in the same space as another hero either way), but it dawned on me suddenly playing it this weekend that maybe that is not the case.

However, if you do think about it, doesn't it kind of defeat the entire purpose of the card if other characters can move into their space? I mean, say you were trying to keep two specific characters together (for example, Becky and Father Joseph). Then the card gets played on one of them. Well, essentially the card would basically mean nothing because you would just move the "loner" character first, and then you could pretty much continue your strategy exactly as is.

I mean, I am sure there are some situations where it would actually make a difference even if that were the case. However, generally this wouldn't really do much. I mean, heck, even Becky's ability is used at the end of the whole Hero turn, not the end of her specific turn. So it isn't like you even negate Becky's ability if you make her the loner.
(05-07-2013 07:03 PM)StayPuft Wrote: [ -> ]However, if you do think about it, doesn't it kind of defeat the entire purpose of the card if other characters can move into their space? I mean, say you were trying to keep two specific characters together (for example, Becky and Father Joseph). Then the card gets played on one of them. Well, essentially the card would basically mean nothing because you would just move the "loner" character first, and then you could pretty much continue your strategy exactly as is.

I think that you might be underestimating Loner's capabilities. Say you have that exact scenario that you just mentioned where the Heroes trying to keep Becky and Father Joseph holed up together in a building. To keep them together, both characters need to move one space, which works but prevents them from Searching, meaning you've deprived them of two cards from the Hero Deck that they could have gotten if they could have just stayed where they were. When you have Heroes surrounded by Zombies, Loner can also force a Hero to enter a space with a Zombie, meaning they have to fight during a moment that that may be very inconvenient for them. Finally, there are a lot of scenarios dependent on getting multiple heroes in the same place with scenario search items; let's say that one Hero just finished filling up the Truck with Gasoline and is only waiting for the Keys, but the character that has the Keys cannot enter that same space now to win the scenario because of the Loner card, so they have to wait a while other round, which is plenty of time for Zombies to turn things around, especially if the other two Heroes aren't exactly in a position to easily get to the truck.

So you're right in that it's not super amazingly awesome, but it definitely does have its uses.
Ive been hosed by this card so many times, It hurts when its played on Victor or Amanda. Victor already has the inability to trade/exchage, and I always get the dumb luck of him not drawing anything useful. Damn Kool-Aid issue (Got the Kool-Aid but no sugar), then to have the inability to easily get healed or buffed fight Dice hurts even worse.
Twilight,

Those are some good points I never really thought of before. Funny enough, the card has come up a handful of times, but never in an event like that, where it would actually be helpful. LOL! Now that definitely makes a lot more sense. I can see where it could actually come in handy for the Zombie Player(s) and be a pain in the butt for the Hero Player(s). Makes a little more sense now to play it literally, meaning that the non-loner heroes could always move into the space with the loner, the loner hero just cannot choose to do so.
When I play its generally with just the Wife and I. I'm ALWAYS Heroes except for once I think. Back to the point, I generally do my random hero pick and the order of play is determined by the order chosen, so every turn the heroes go in the same order, that might actually hinder my game but it keeps things simple and the wife doesn't complain that I'm min-maxing my turns. So that gives her an opportunity to figure out tactics to gaffle my characters interactions and stuff. With the example of Amanda and Victor, Victor was first in the line up so Amanda had opportunity to move into the spot with him. Negative side was he had to move before he could benefit from her good looks. Some of the cards from both sides looks like their worthless until the "perfect storm" arises, then their priceless. I usually sit on the couch after the boys go to sleep and pour through the decks on commercials just so I can process the combos while i'm sleeping Watchmen02. Honestly, I haven't seen all the cards come up yet in gameplay so I'm just familiarizing myself with them all.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's