TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Mage Knight
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Very curious about Mage Knight. I would be playing it either solo or with my wife. It seems to get good reviews. It looks like it has cool mechanics and ideas, but that doesn't always = fun.

Anybody have any experience with this one?
If you're interested in Mage Knight, I would look up Shut Up and Sit Down's review of the game on YouTube. The game is magnificent, but I'd rather leave it to SUSD to explain its only turnoff: the complexity. If you have the patience required, you won't be disappointed. My problem is I don't have anyone to play it with. I'm starting with my friends on smaller fare, and we're working our way up. Maybe someday... Maybe someday.
I played the original version of it years and years ago when it first came out, it was a lot of fun if you had the right minis, but to that extent it can get expensive. Think Warhammer meets a trading card game. You build and army but you usually get your miniatures from booster packs. I stopped playing when Mage Knight 2.0 came out because it essentially made all of the hundreds of dollars of minis I had illegal.
I hear it doesn't play well with more than a couple of people but is good overall. Game length can be considerable.
I love the game. I hate the game. I'm completely undecided about the game, after half a dozen plays.
HONEST!

It has lots of interesting mechanics that should make for a great game. They don't mesh very well.
It's quite long, even with just 3 people.
The rulebooks are some of the worst I've ever read.
But the core concepts are brilliant. It's just the specific execution.

Maybe it just needed a good bit more play testing to smooth it out?

I think I'd play the hell out of it if it were a computer game to handle all of the the weird fiddling.

(http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/96848...board-game this is what I'm talking about, in case of confusion.)
Reference URL's