TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: where to shoot ranged weapon?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Can you be at the door and shoot the revolver 3 spaces out the door to hit a zombie? or does the zombie have to be adjacent to the door?

Thanks
Doors ONLY count for movement. In all other instances, the door is a wall, with normal line of sight for shooting through a wall rules. (You can shoot through a wall to which you are adjacent.)
Another thing regarding ranged attacks that is often missed is that you can always count the least amount of spaces to reach your target.

For instance, Sheriff Anderson is in a space that borders the center of town board piece (so he's on a L-shaped outerboard), and a Zombie is a space on a neighboring L-shaped outerboard. If you go in a straight line, the amount of spaces between Sheriff Anderson and the Zombie is 4, which would put the Zombie out of range of the revolver. However, if you were to curve around and use the larger center of town spaces instead, the Zombie is suddenly within range. This is a LEGAL ranged attack, the bullet isn't magically curving, or is it. Watchmen02
I'm with Ryuk on this.

I don't remember seeing anything about "curving bullets" such as you suggest. I have always believed it is from centre square to centre square in a straight line, as with most games.

Still, the "curving bullet" theory could clear up a lot of questions about JFK!!
zombie67 Wrote:I'm with Ryuk on this.

I don't remember seeing anything about "curving bullets" such as you suggest. I have always believed it is from centre square to centre square in a straight line, as with most games.

Still, the "curving bullet" theory could clear up a lot of questions about JFK!!

So you can "move" a curved route to get somewhere but you can't shoot a curved route to get to that same place? —does that mean these heros CAN move faster than a speeding bullet?
My last comment was just bringing up whether heroes moving and shooting a a range weapon are two different things? or are they the same?

When you move Hero Sally, she does NOT have to move in a straight line to get where she is going and if she moves in a curve thru the center square (then back down to where she could have moved straight but she decides to curve) due to the huge squares in the center sometimes she gets farther. BUT if you were shooting a range weapon from Sally's starting point- can it reach the same spot Sally did?
If shooting the weapon can only be a straight shot (and not a shorter curved route that cuts up thru the center square and then back down to where the target is) them it couldn't get to where Sally moved so one could say that Sally was able to move FASTER the the speeding bullet shot from the range weapon since she was able to move to a spot that the range weapon couldnt get to.
Ryuk Wrote:Where does it say that curving your bullets through the large squares is legal?

I don't have a camera but this should work...
http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/lots...-t-25.html
Using this picture of the game boards...

And using your example, the Sheriff is standing on the small 'red' square (the left one of the two). A Zombie is standing on the small square on the neighboring L-shaped outerboard... specifically the one that the '5' and white arrow is pointing to, (in this picture, it's cut in half). In a straight line from the Sheriff, this space is clearly 4 spaces away and out of range of the Revolver.

Are you saying that you've been 'curving' your bullets through the large squares to hit a target 4 spaces away? Where, O where, have you found anything that says curving your bullets through large squares is legal?

Page 11 of the rule book, on the bottom right under Ranged Attack, declares the following:

Quote:Choose a target within a number of space equal or less than the Range: of the Item being used and follow the instructions on the Item card to see if the attack is successful (Range may always be counted using the shortest possible number of spaces).

Source: http://www.flyingfrog.net/lastnightonear...ok_web.pdf

Pretty cut and dry if you ask me.
So using this picture to again illustrate:

[Image: 14trg48.jpg]

You would say that the Sheriff (S) could shoot Zombie 1(Z1) because you could bend the bullets around the centre sqaures

but then

Jake(J) could not shoot Zombie 2(Z2) because he would be out of range, even though they are stood right next to each other in both cases???

Seems ludicrous to me and I could see it leading to many an argument!
zombie67 Wrote:So using this picture to again illustrate:

You would say that the Sheriff (S) could shoot Zombie 1(Z1) because you could bend the bullets around the centre sqaures

but then

Jake(J) could not shoot Zombie 2(Z2) because he would be out of range, even though they are stood right next to each other in both cases???

I'd say it makes sense purely because if one can take that shortcut by moving then the bullet can too. Perhaps best to get an official ruling for Jason Hill. I don't see any other reason he used that verbiage, though.
SPARTAN VI Wrote:
zombie67 Wrote:So using this picture to again illustrate:

but then

I'd say it makes sense purely because if one can take that shortcut by moving then the bullet can too.

The problem I have with that is people can move where ever they want, they can even run around in a circle if they would like but once a bullet is fired, barring ricochets it can only go in a straight line. I know things like wind and twisted barrels can slightly alter the trajectory but it still is pretty much a straight line.

I have to admit I have always had a bit of a problem with the centre squares when it comes to ranged weapons.

Whereas I would accept that you could maybe run faster over an open piece of ground, better vision to avoid obstacles, there really isn't any justification when it comes to shooting.

Maybe I should suggest a house rule that each centre square counts as two when it comes to shooting. The interesting thing is that I would actually be handicapping myself more often than not as I am usually the Heroes in our games. My partner Kath prefers to be the Z's.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's