TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Captain Hawkins - Field Command ability
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can Captain Hawkins use his Field Command ability more than once during his move phase?

I don't see where this has been asked and answered, officialy or otherwise.

His Call To Arms ability specifically states it is limited to once per turn. Not so with the the Field Command.

Here are texts on the Hero card:

Call To Arms:
"As an Action, may pay 2 Investigation to place a Militia in any space on the board (limit one per space). This may only be used if there are currently 4 or fewer Militia markers on the board. Limit once per turn."

Field Command:
"During his Move phase, may pay 1 Investigation to move a Militia marker to any other space on the board. If there is a Miniom there, you may dicard the Militia and roll a D6. On the roll of 3+, discard the Minion as well and gain the Minion's Victory reward as though it was defeated in a Fight."

One ability is limited explicitly, one is not.

We played last night and allowed Captain to move more than one Militia during his move phase using Field Command.

Anyone come across this? Or have seen an official answer anywhere?
I would say you are right. Since the militia is discarded after its move, then the rule is self-limiting. Call-to-Arms is limited to four militia, so there just won't be that many militia to use Field Command upon as well.

Field Command: AS many times during the Move Phase as desired, limited by the number of available militia and Investigation. (Note: Call-to-Arms is an Action, not done in the Move part of the turn, so a player cannot create Militia, then throw them at a Minion, and then create more Militia.)
Thanks for confirming. We played it correctly - so we didn't change the fate of the universe after all. Watchmen02
In one-on-one solo Captain Hawkins just recently vanquished the Werewolf (man, that silver shot comes in handy!).

I used Field Command multiple times during the Move Phase. So concur this is fair and reasonable.

Great ability actually. Underrated perhaps?
Yes, it's rather powerful for collecting/earning investigation for defeating minions - especially the ones that pay well. Watchmen02
(12-17-2013 02:49 AM)ATOEtalGeek Wrote: [ -> ]I heard a Feetstep"

OMG...that is the most obscure reference ever. Well, one that I recognized anyway! I love the ghost episode of Gilligan's Island. Every year since I was a wee lad, I wanted to haunt the streets by looking as good as that ghost did... (not the castaways' versions, the visitor... all billowing. That may be where my love of spooky started.

Thanks for that !
(12-14-2013 05:11 PM)ATOEtalGeek Wrote: [ -> ]"During his Move phase, may pay 1 Investigation to move a Militia marker to any other space on the board.

To me that sums it up, it says "a" and "marker" not "markers"!

Surely that indicates just one?
(12-17-2013 12:04 PM)spirit Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-14-2013 05:11 PM)ATOEtalGeek Wrote: [ -> ]"During his Move phase, may pay 1 Investigation to move a Militia marker to any other space on the board.

The Hero card concerned... the Call to Arms stipulates once per turn as already quoted in the thread. The Field Command does not. So why the differentiation??

Usually FFP rules/cards stipulate when there is a limit. Quick example was opening the rulebook to a random page. Pages 12/13 of the main rulebook (Encounter the Space + Collect Investigation from the Board) stipulate such a limit of once per turn.

Same area page 13 Heal Wound's - a Hero may spend 3 Investigation to heal one of their Wounds. There is no stipulated limit... so there is nothing against spending 6 investigation to heal two wounds.

Each to their own, but:
1) I prefer my game nights/sessions to not be bogged down with semantics, and let it flow for the enjoyment of all.
2) The English language is already bastardised enough... further complications are unnecessary.
(12-17-2013 12:04 PM)spirit Wrote: [ -> ]

I take it that that just lays out the cost of moving a militia marker - not a limitation on how many you can move. I note that it doesn't say "...pay 1 investigation to move 1 Militia marker...". I think there is a distinction there. That along with the absence of a specific limit is what got me wondering.

We have played with the Captain before and it hadn't come up. This recent game a different player had the Captain - different player = different thought process - so he raised the question. A question our group had not considered before. After discussion we ruled that it was only limited by the number of Militia on the board and the amount of Investigation he had.

I was looking for consensus here. I'm confident we played it correctly now.

(12-17-2013 03:26 AM)Pfr_Fate Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-17-2013 02:49 AM)ATOEtalGeek Wrote: [ -> ]I heard a Feetstep"

OMG...that is the most obscure reference ever. Well, one that I recognized anyway! I love the ghost episode of Gilligan's Island. Every year since I was a wee lad, I wanted to haunt the streets by looking as good as that ghost did... (not the castaways' versions, the visitor... all billowing. That may be where my love of spooky started.

Thanks for that !

Haha - thanks for that back at ya! I can still hear the dialog in my head. I have looked for the episode on line but to no avail. I would love to see it again. So glad you caught that! There are quite a few things that got me into spooky as a youngster - not the least of which are great TV episodes that stick with me. Watchmen02
Reference URL's