TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: ATOE Minis - Bronze Statue look
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Howdy, there's been a few threads now here and on BGG detailing some paint schemes where the budding artist may be a novice, just not have the time or aptitude or maybe cannot spare the coin.

I've tried a look in ATOE, that was meant to semi-replicate a bronze statue look. Intent was an earthy tone to essentially blend in with the colours of the mapboards thematically rather than contrast with them. I think I achieved what I set out to do, inclusive of the semi gloss type finish.

I'm happy with colour, details in recesses/clothing and objects carried etc, but was curious on thoughts about the semi gloss appearance or possibly matte it down??

Probably not the best photo actually... the flash dilutes the bronze look a little (try for another one under more natural lighting). For now question is more around semi-gloss vs matte finish.

[Image: WWPjxtr.jpg]
I always prefer a matt finish to my models - but I hear Gloss and Satin are more hard wearing and protect the paint work better.
I always go for a satin finish
I love 'em. How about tarnishing them a tiny bit with some blue-green? Watchmen02
Wow... what a privilege to be hearing from you guys...

(01-11-2014 03:52 PM)Achtung Panzer Wrote: [ -> ]I always prefer a matt finish to my models - but I hear Gloss and Satin are more hard wearing and protect the paint work better.

AP, your choice based on what you favour for appearance??

(01-11-2014 06:12 PM)samuraitrev Wrote: [ -> ]I always go for a satin finish

Samurai, is your choice based on what you favour for appearance or the "sealing" of the model for extra protection... or both?? My rationale was for both.

(01-11-2014 07:05 PM)mqstout Wrote: [ -> ]I love 'em. How about tarnishing them a tiny bit with some blue-green? Watchmen02

MG... this sounds interesting, and see older statues tarnish in the tinge you describe. Again, bit of a novice... so I was wondering if you had any recommendations?? I've finished off a handful of dummy models in the same way, just in case I wanted to muck around a little further.

Thanks guys for dropping by Watchmen02
Yes both.
The satin finish gives the model a hint of shine which brings 'em to life a bit (visually)
Gloss actually protects your figures best but Satin doesn't have that shiny look.
How well do these figs hold the paint? I've never tried bu I thought plastic was harder to paint on?
(01-31-2014 06:44 PM)akaAelius Wrote: [ -> ]How well do these figs hold the paint? I've never tried bu I thought plastic was harder to paint on?

Too soon for me to call as it's my first batch, but my first layer was white primer. If the primer does what it's meant to do, then it should hold well.

Storage is probably key as well. Bundling them all into a bag is probably not best. I've got mine in a foam tray where each figure is protected individually.

(01-27-2014 05:43 PM)samuraitrev Wrote: [ -> ]Yes both.
The satin finish gives the model a hint of shine which brings 'em to life a bit (visually)
Gloss actually protects your figures best but Satin doesn't have that shiny look.

I've decided to Matte them down. A layer of Matte over the 'Ardcoat.

Many thanks for your advice samurai.
Reference URL's