TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Scenario: Dead End
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just about ready to photoshop this into a scenario card. Could use some more C&C first though.

Basically the game board is laid out horizontally instead of a square (see illustration), Heroes start on one side and have to dash to the Safe House on the opposite side of the board. Once inside they barricade themselves in and wait until morning.

Full rules:

Quote:Turns 15

Zombie Horde, Zombies Auto-spawn, Grave Dead Zombies, Barricades, Free Search Markers

Scenario Objectives

1) Heroes win by gaining entry to the Safe House and having at least 2 Heroes alive in the Safe House by dawn.
2) Zombies win by killing 4 Heroes or by having 12 or more Zombies inside the Safe House at any time.

Scenario Setup

1) Setup the game board using the center of town and 4 L-shaped outer boards (see illustration).
2) Roll a Random Building on the L-shaped outer board furthest from the center of town board (blue in the illustration), this building is now the Safe House. Remove any Exploration markers from the Safe House.

[Image: DoN.gif]

3) The Safe House is allowed to have 3 doors; using the open door counters, place these doors anywhere on the Safe House to bring the total number of doors to 3.
4) Heroes then count the number of spaces in the Safe House and place that number of Barricades on any wall of their choice.
5) Each Hero player may then go through the Hero card deck and select 1 Item of their choice. Place the item under the Hero's Character Sheet. Once that Hero enters the Safe House, he may immediately play that Item.
6) Heroes spawn at the center of town closest to outer edge.
7) Zombies spawn 3D6 Zombies.

Special Rules

1) The Heroes must first run a gauntlet and gain entry to the Safe House, then defend it until dawn.
2) Heroes may give up their Move Action to instead build a Barricade on any wall or door whether they're inside or outside of a building. Place a Barricade counter to signify that this wall/door has been reinforced.
3) Zombies may attempt to break and move through a Barricade during their Move Zombies phase. To do so, first the Zombie must be attempting to move through the target Barricade, second count the number of Zombies in this space, then roll that many D6 (ex; 4 Zombies means 4D6 every time 1 Zombie tries to move through a Barricade), the Barricade is destroyed on a roll of 6. This is not considered a Fight, so Zombies may not play Fight: cards to alter the outcome of this roll. Multiple Zombies may attack the same barricade at once.
4) When a Barricade is destroyed, Zombies may move through the breach like they would any wall (straight across or diagonally) including the Zombie that destroyed the barricade.
5) Zombies may ignore Zombie Hunger only if they cannot move to the nearest Hero(/es) without going through a barricade.
6) Heroes may still perform Ranged Attacks from Barricaded walls/doors, but subtract 1 from their range; it is assumed they built vision slits.
7) Sometimes, it may be necessary for a Hero to flee from the confines of the Safe House or break through a Barricade. A Hero may attempt to charge through a Barricaded door during their Move Action phase. First the Hero would roll a D6 to see how far they may move; if a Barricaded door is in their intended path, roll a D6 to attempt to charge through it. On a roll of 3+, the Hero successfully charged through the door and may complete their Move Action as normal. Remove a Barricade counter from the door. On the roll of 1 or 2, the Hero may attempt to break the Barricade again using any available movement points (ex: Jenny rolls a 6, moves 1 space toward the door, rolls a 1 to break the Barricaded door, then rolls a 2, then rolls a 1. At this point she has 2 movement points left, rolls again and gets a 6. Success! The barricade is broken down, and she may use her last movement point to exit the building).
8) The Safe House cannot be the target of Zombie Cards (Lights Out, Taken Over, etc).

Link to barricade counters: http://boardgamegeek.com/image/251713?size=original
if you buy the game zombie town it has barricade cards and stands that you can use that are perfect.

i like this alot thow dont see anything wrong with it.
Random notes:
  • Can the safe house have a zombie spawning pit? If so, I think it would be less than difficult (but not easy) to get 12 zombies in there.
  • Zombies that spawn near the safe house (or inside it) aren't going to be subject to zombie hunger for quite some time. The initial barricades won't survive long, methinks.

Some specific comments:
SPARTAN VI Wrote:3) The Safe House is allowed to have 3 doors; using the open door counters, place these doors anywhere on the Safe House to bring the total number of doors to 3.
Perhaps it would be better to say, "The safe house must have at least 3 doors; using..."
SPARTAN VI Wrote:4) Heroes then count the number of spaces in the Safe House and place that number of Barricades on any wall of their choice.
Perhaps, to avoid confusion on the number of barricades each hero places, say instead, "The Hero Team places a number of Barricades on walls in the Safe House equal to the number of spaces in the Safe House." (The confusion stems from using "heroes," which could be interpreted as "each hero in turn.")
SPARTAN VI Wrote:4) When a Barricade is destroyed, Zombies may move through the breach like they would any wall (straight across or diagonally) including the Zombie that destroyed the barricade.
But not including the zombies who failed to destroy the barricade, even though they assisted the zombie who did, right?
SPARTAN VI Wrote:7) Sometimes, it may be necessary for a Hero to flee from the confines of the Safe House or break through a Barricade. A Hero may attempt to charge through a Barricaded door during their Move Action phase. First the Hero would roll a D6 to see how far they may move; if a Barricaded door is in their intended path, roll a D6 to attempt to charge through it. On a roll of 3+, the Hero successfully charged through the door and may complete their Move Action as normal. Remove a Barricade counter from the door. On the roll of 1 or 2, the Hero may attempt to break the Barricade again using any available movement points (ex: Jenny rolls a 6, moves 1 space toward the door, rolls a 1 to break the Barricaded door, then rolls a 2, then rolls a 1. At this point she has 2 movement points left, rolls again and gets a 6. Success! The barricade is broken down, and she may use her last movement point to exit the building).
I get it, and I like the mechanic, but I do think it could use some cleaning up. (I'm not a fan of the phrase "movement points.")

Otherwise, looks decent.
one thing you have to think about is just to try and make it as simple as possible. these rules are just alittle to wordy.

with the barricadeing thing, you might want to use my rules, very similar to yours but more simple.

use movment to build up barricade. up to three times, if its fully built heros cant shoot out of it, zombies break it down on a 5, 6 if you want, and heros break it down once a turn in place of movement roll.

like i said mine is for zombie town cards and stands it makes it easy cuz, it covers two squares to show where the barricade is, you add and take off another barricade to show how built up it is, and it looks pretty.
I hope to comment in more depth later, but I like the feel of this scenario. Here are my first things:

* How is a random building determined?
* How do barricades interact with the "Escape Through the Windows" card?
* What incentives does a hero have to leave the safehouse building, except perhaps to assist a straggler who's not in it yet? I would restrict searching such that you cannot do it there. Defend the manorhouse has a similar restriction
* I like the "run the gauntlet" feel. I would recommend, however, placing the big square still in the middle, with the L clusters on either side of it. Otherwise, the big square feels like dead space at the edge and will have little to no interaction happen on it.
* Without playing it, I feel like there will be quite a bit of downtime in this scenario. Due to the map layout, it will take zombies forever to travel anywhere. If you enforce zombies being evenly distributed across spawning pits, you're effectively going to have 1 or more useless spawning pit by mid-game by when the players should have reached the safehouse. This could be helped along by boosting zombie movement, or by not enforcing pit distribution. The later suggestion seems like it could work here. The zombie player could set up his "first line of defense" on the front two tiles, but at the risk of giving the heroes an easy job once they break through...
The_Sultan Wrote:Random notes:
Can the safe house have a zombie spawning pit? If so, I think it would be less than difficult (but not easy) to get 12 zombies in there.

No, if the random building rolled has a spawning pit in it, re-roll. It may not be the target of any Zombie Card either.

Quote:Zombies that spawn near the safe house (or inside it) aren't going to be subject to zombie hunger for quite some time. The initial barricades won't survive long, methinks.[/qoute]

Hmm, true. What do you guys think? Should we have all the barricades up and ready except for the doors? Keep it the way it is and risk having Zombies tear down barricades before Heroes ever arrive? Or..?

[quote]
Perhaps, to avoid confusion on the number of barricades each hero places, say instead, "The Hero Team places a number of Barricades on walls in the Safe House equal to the number of spaces in the Safe House." (The confusion stems from using "heroes," which could be interpreted as "each hero in turn.")

Agreed, much better.

Quote:But not including the zombies who failed to destroy the barricade, even though they assisted the zombie who did, right?

Correcto!

Quote:I get it, and I like the mechanic, but I do think it could use some cleaning up. (I'm not a fan of the phrase "movement points.")

Otherwise, looks decent.

Funny you say that, I didn't want to use "movement points" either. It's a term that's pretty much alien to the base game, then I just plop it in here without prefacing it, but it's otherwise pretty self-explanatory. Someone might find a way to interpret "movement points" incorrectly, so I'm all ears if there's a better way of explaining remaining movement "units."

deadrabbit Wrote:one thing you have to think about is just to try and make it as simple as possible. these rules are just alittle to wordy.

with the barricadeing thing, you might want to use my rules, very similar to yours but more simple.

use movment to build up barricade. up to three times, if its fully built heros cant shoot out of it, zombies break it down on a 5, 6 if you want, and heros break it down once a turn in place of movement roll.

like i said mine is for zombie town cards and stands it makes it easy cuz, it covers two squares to show where the barricade is, you add and take off another barricade to show how built up it is, and it looks pretty.

Actually, I did have your barricade rules in the back of my mind, but opted out of it because I felt adding up levels of barricades could potentially make the board a little too busy and complicate things for my simple-minded friends. The first version was otherwise pretty similar, but I got recommendations from a BGG member to change it to how it is now, which is more of a thematic way of overwhelming a barricade.

In essence, roll a D6 for every Zombie in the space; if a 6 is rolled, then the barricade is broken down and any Zombies that have not yet moved can flood the breach (including the Zombie that broke the barricade).

A Hero may sacrifice a move to build a barricade on an adjacent wall (if there are no Zombies in his space).

This encourages the Zombie player to pile up Zombies on one or two barricades at a time to increase his chances of busting it down. Wanted to allow Ranged Attacks because defending the Safe House is going to be extremely hard with 21 Zombies shuffling around.

Pretty simple mechanic, couldn't get much simpler, IMO.

mqstout Wrote:I hope to comment in more depth later, but I like the feel of this scenario. Here are my first things:

* How is a random building determined?

First refer to the diagram, the Safe House must be a building on the L-shaped board that corresponds to the blue board in the diagram.

Roll a D6. Roll again if there's a spawning pit in the building (ie hospital is rolled, which has a morgue).

Quote:* How do barricades interact with the "Escape Through the Windows" card?

Hm, good question. I'd say you treat every wall/window as a "barricaded door" so the players would attempt to charge through these barricades like they would a barricaded door.

Quote:* What incentives does a hero have to leave the safehouse building, except perhaps to assist a straggler who's not in it yet? I would restrict searching such that you cannot do it there. Defend the manorhouse has a similar restriction

If there's a breach in the Safe House and no exits, it's like shooting fish in a barrel. Zombies flood in and game over.

Like in Defend the Manor House, it might be in the Heroes' best interest at times to leave the building they plan to defend just to use Zombie Hunger and draw Zombies back out of the building.

Quote:* I like the "run the gauntlet" feel. I would recommend, however, placing the big square still in the middle, with the L clusters on either side of it. Otherwise, the big square feels like dead space at the edge and will have little to no interaction happen on it.

Good idea. It would allow Zombies that fall behind to move quickly toward the Safe House, which leads into your following suggestion/thought:

Quote:* Without playing it, I feel like there will be quite a bit of downtime in this scenario. Due to the map layout, it will take zombies forever to travel anywhere. If you enforce zombies being evenly distributed across spawning pits, you're effectively going to have 1 or more useless spawning pit by mid-game by when the players should have reached the safehouse. This could be helped along by boosting zombie movement, or by not enforcing pit distribution. The later suggestion seems like it could work here. The zombie player could set up his "first line of defense" on the front two tiles, but at the risk of giving the heroes an easy job once they break through...

Great observation, this was a huge hurdle when approaching this scenario and I addressed it with Zombie Auto-spawn and Zombie Horde rules.

I was also thinking about allowing the Zombie player to kill his Zombies if they're not sharing an L-shaped board with at least 1 Hero. Buuuuuuuuuut, I like your idea of removing zombie spawning restrictions, if need be. Do you still think this balance would be necessary with Horde AND Auto-spawn, though?

Thanks for the C&C folks! I have quite a few adjustments to make!
SPARTAN VI Wrote:In essence, roll a D6 for every Zombie in the space; if a 6 is rolled, then the barricade is broken down and any Zombies that have not yet moved can flood the breach (including the Zombie that broke the barricade).
That's an excellent and concise way of putting it; you should consider rewriting point 3) to include this sentence.
SPARTAN VI Wrote:Funny you say that, I didn't want to use "movement points" either. It's a term that's pretty much alien to the base game, then I just plop it in here without prefacing it, but it's otherwise pretty self-explanatory. Someone might find a way to interpret "movement points" incorrectly, so I'm all ears if there's a better way of explaining remaining movement "units."
Might I humbly suggest this slightly more verbose instruction (optional sentence in bold):

Sometimes it may be necessary for a Hero to flee from the confines of the Safe House or break through a Barricade. A Hero may attempt to charge through a Barricaded door during their Move Action phase. The Hero begins their Move normally by rolling a D6 to see how far they may Move. If the Hero attempts to move through a Barricaded door, roll a D6. On a roll of 3+ the Hero successfully charged through the door; remove the Barricade counter from the door and the Hero may complete their Move Action as normal. On the roll of 1 or 2, subtract 1 from the number of spaces the Hero can Move this turn and the Hero can complete their Move Action as normal (and can even attempt to charge through the Barricade again). If failing an attempt to charge through a Barricade causes the number of spaces a Hero can Move to drop to 0, the Hero's Move Action immediately ends.
SPARTAN VI Wrote:
mqstout Wrote:* How is a random building determined?
First refer to the diagram, the Safe House must be a building on the L-shaped board that corresponds to the blue board in the diagram. Roll a D6. Roll again if there's a spawning pit in the building (ie hospital is rolled, which has a morgue).

When a zombie card (or a hero card, I don't think any of them do this though) says to determine a random building, such as for the effect of "taken over", how do you determine this building? Normally, since each tile is on a corner of the big square, they have the little arrows pointing to one of the Ls.
Oh I see. Probably allow the Zombie player to choose any L shaped board, then roll, or vice versa. alternatively, I can number the L shaped boards 1 - 4 in the diagram.
i like this alot it's well planned.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's