TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Painting authentic western wear.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Google "Authentic Western Clothes" Or something similar and in the images you will see a great array of options. However, some of them are very costume like. Many make me think of Marty McFly from 'Back to the future III'. I wonder if there is a good way to find authentic designs? Did scarfs have print or were they primarily one color? What is up with the Saloon girl wearing a red dress with black trim (Which I am totally doing on the Hungry Dead female)?
http://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/ethnobotany/dyes.shtml

This has an interesting array of viable colors. Though there could still be a fair amount of shipped colors and designs. Many of the prints would likely be made on the east coast if not Europe. If I'm not mistaken.
(03-08-2014 10:29 PM)SpoKnight Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/ethnobotany/dyes.shtml

This has an interesting array of viable colors. Though there could still be a fair amount of shipped colors and designs. Many of the prints would likely be made on the east coast if not Europe. If I'm not mistaken.

Good resource for an authentic color palette!
I really get overwhelmed when I think of the painting time involved when I get my
MC delivered. It was so cool watching the miniature numbers go up & up on KS but
the reality of painting those figs is rather daunting.

Of course at my age any long term project is sort of a gamble.

Actually I've been watching the old TV Series Gun Smoke for color ideas, I just
realized Matt Dillon wore the same pants for 15 years.

OD
(03-09-2014 01:20 PM)Old Dwarf Wrote: [ -> ]Actually I've been watching the old TV Series Gun Smoke for color ideas, I just
realized Matt Dillon wore the same pants for 15 years.

OD

The problem with TV shows, Especially the ones from the 50's and 60's is how accurate are the costumes? Again I reference Marty from 'Back to the Future'. Dr. Brown thought that would be accurate for 1885. Wrong Doc Brown.. So wrong. :P

Gunsmoke looks fairly spot on, but were there any color episodes? (EDIT) Gunsmoke started in 55 and ran Black and white till 65. It was then color till it ended in 75. There were also 5 TV movies.
As I look at the player cards, I realize that most of our colors will come from that source.
I just ordered the Army Painter Quick Shade Set so when my 2 Paint sets
from my MC Options arrive I'll be ready.Inks/washes can be tricky but I
like the results. The SoB figs seem detailed enough to use them.

OD
If you prime black and then dust white, it really helps the shading. How bright you want it to be is determined by how much you dust.
(09-16-2014 07:11 PM)SpoKnight Wrote: [ -> ]If you prime black and then dust white, it really helps the shading. How bright you want it to be is determined by how much you dust.

Is "dusting" like dry brushing?

OD
Light coat of white primer. Usually from the spray can or airbrush. I often go one step further and choose a light source location and add a bit more.

Pre-Shading and Pre-Highlighting your Miniatures,…: http://youtu.be/k3cPRJG47sM

I usually do just black and white.

To go a step further, I will do 3 colors in airbrush as shown after the pre shading. Is dark green below, mid green, highlight green dusting top.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's