TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Painted Behemoth
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm back. After a very long hiatus involving moving across the country to a new command and getting everything settled I've started playing and painting again. I've been watching a lot of YouTube on shading and washes and dry brushing so this is my first time doing all of those things at once and I'm extremely happy with the way this behemoth came out. Really enjoyed the new technical color blood for the blood god and the rot one. Both are used on this model. Let me know your thoughts and if you have any questions please ask!
I hope I do not sound too critical as I have nothing to say but suggestions to make it better. I am also by no means an expert.

- The color of zombie flesh is always a topic for debate. It depends on how old the Z is and perhaps the reaction to whatever is causing the condition.
- Since the damaged areas are not present on the model, you could cut them in with a dremmel perhaps.
- Thinning the paint will prevent it from obscuring much of the detail.
- Base color each section. Teeth and all. Then Wash everything. If you only have one color wash. Thin it as needed if you want to keep the white for instance. This will provide depth of color to areas like the collar, teeth, facial areas etc. It will also hide the transition lines like the red and white shirt separation.
- Dry brush and/or edge. If you go back over washed areas with a dry brush in the original color it will lighten it up again, but only the outer areas. Go with an even brighter color and it can pop. I often go with the original and then brighter in fewer areas. Edging will create bright spots. Like on the chainsaw.
- Once the colors are good, give it a clear Dull Coat. That will minimize the shine.
- Wounds should not have the under color visible. If you didn't cut the wound, simulate it with a base of dark red and then apply a fair amount of Blood God. Let it run a little if it's appropriate but don't let the brush strokes show. This and the next should be glossy on the freshly dead or recently fed around the hands and mouth perhaps.
- Use the rot sparingly. But let it pool a little in the wounds.

But it is still a great attempt. Really, all that matters is if you are happy with it.
I love it, basic, brutal and the chainsaw looks hardcore. Nice painting bud
Great job
+1 Rep
(03-09-2014 05:59 PM)SpoKnight Wrote: [ -> ]I hope I do not sound too critical as I have nothing to say but suggestions to make it better. I am also by no means an expert.

- The color of zombie flesh is always a topic for debate. It depends on how old the Z is and perhaps the reaction to whatever is causing the condition.
- Since the damaged areas are not present on the model, you could cut them in with a dremmel perhaps.
- Thinning the paint will prevent it from obscuring much of the detail.
- Base color each section. Teeth and all. Then Wash everything. If you only have one color wash. Thin it as needed if you want to keep the white for instance. This will provide depth of color to areas like the collar, teeth, facial areas etc. It will also hide the transition lines like the red and white shirt separation.
- Dry brush and/or edge. If you go back over washed areas with a dry brush in the original color it will lighten it up again, but only the outer areas. Go with an even brighter color and it can pop. I often go with the original and then brighter in fewer areas. Edging will create bright spots. Like on the chainsaw.
- Once the colors are good, give it a clear Dull Coat. That will minimize the shine.
- Wounds should not have the under color visible. If you didn't cut the wound, simulate it with a base of dark red and then apply a fair amount of Blood God. Let it run a little if it's appropriate but don't let the brush strokes show. This and the next should be glossy on the freshly dead or recently fed around the hands and mouth perhaps.
- Use the rot sparingly. But let it pool a little in the wounds.

But it is still a great attempt. Really, all that matters is if you are happy with it.

Love these tips. I hate it when a base coat takes away some details so ill def play with thinning it down so I don't lose any. And cutting in some wounds would also be great. I realized the picture I posted was actually my pre-dry brush and final wash and also wasn't very well lit so some of the detail was lost. Here's a better picture and thank you again for the tips.
I like it. Much better. Now for the next one. :P
i love the effect on the bluejeans!
(03-10-2014 02:41 PM)soundguy Wrote: [ -> ]i love the effect on the bluejeans!

Yea his pants had a lot of great detail on them and I wanted him to look like he's been wondering through the woods getting really dirty. I used a really light brown for the dry brushing and it came out great.
Very impressive! Thanks for sharing.
i love dry brushing. very good results
Reference URL's