TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: magic the gathering
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Had gotten out of playing it a while back. have played on and off since alpha.

Got a graveborn deck a while back and have outfitted it with a few zombies.. still needs work. but looks like it will work out good!

more details after I get it a few more play tests
I had a couple of years playing mtg, and had lots of fun in particular through the innastrad block using blu/black then mono black zombie deck, lots of lovely grave crawlers and othr undead fun. Didn't do so well but had fun with Black Green golgari reaninmator using Loleth trolls etc.
But have put mtg aside for a moment, its very addictive and I get obsessed and don't then have time to spend playing other boardgames, painting miniatures etc....I'm feeling a bit out of touch now Insane19
made up a blue black today.

the crawlers are cheap to cast and cast out of the graveyard. i'll use them ass feed for my lord of the pit.

also got lucky and got an elder god and a blue black plaineswalker in a booster. Zombie03
I might be in the minority here, but Magic is something I've never taken to. I'll post my view. I did give it a go, but my main exposure to it was helping out out in game store featuring games nights and tournaments. Not a fan of any CCG actually.

What I really disliked about it was the "ego" factor of the game, and how some individuals handled themselves. I find it absurd that some rare/unique (sorry don't know the terminology) can essentially decide a game that one individual in the room may be in possession of... only because they alone can fork out a three figure amount for that one card, and nobody else can.

Secondary things also prominent about "ego" were the anti-social aspect and obsessive behaviours it can promote... and it's really sad to see this affecting school kids.

That said, I like LCG's and XCG's, and have pre-ordered ATOE: Dark Gothic.
I don't know the game either - no exposure to it whatsoever so I don't really have an opinion. I have heard that one player's deck can be OP just because of certain cards he purchased. It seems that the decks aught to be the same - or the players should have the same opportunity in-game to build comparable decks.

Even worse for me - I don't know what CCG, LCG and XCG mean ???

I don't know if it compares, or is relevant but I own all the Dominion stuff and have pre-ordered Dark Gothic.
Forestrunner, this was what kept me away from Magic for so long. However, my BF (and a few friends) and I play it just the few of us around the table. We don't invite "competitive" people back again. I ignore the existence of drafting, tournaments, etc. Basically, we treat it as any other tabletop game.

As for card acquisition, each set that comes out, we buy play sets [four-of-each-card] of each of the common/uncommon cards (they're cheap), and a few of each of the rares that are both affordable and appeal to us, and that's it. We don't waste time/money chasing random cards in booster packs. Ie, we treat it as a LCG.

ATOEtalGeek:
CCG - Collectible card game. Like Magic or Legend of the Five Rings one. Cards are sold randomized in boosters.
LCG - Living card game. The expansions are sold non-randomized (though not always "buy one box and you have what you'll need", sadly). Examples include Android:Netrunner or A Game of Thrones. They're generally more "board game like" in acquisition, but they still have regular new releases, rotation schedules, and deck building before play.

Dominion/Dark Gothic/etc are just "board games" that use cards for their components. You buy the game and play with it. There's no mega-gaming involved with deck creation/management and so on. (These two particular examples are "Deck building games", which is its own genre of board games, quite different than other card-based tabletop games like Fluxx, Munchkin, and so on.)
yep. generic decks can't stand against a custom built deck. and yeah. a 6$ card can turn the game.

Often you have to start with a couple decks to pull cards from to build a theme. buff it up with random finds from a few booster packs, and then usually fork out about 10$ for some mythic rares or rares to finish it.

That means.. since starters are 10-14$, and boosters are up to 4$.. that means for an average playable deck with a chance to win.. you are at least in for around 50$. that also includes trades you made from your decks and boosters of stuff you didn't need, to get other stuff you needed. if no trades. bump that to 3-4 starter decks...

sometimes you get lucky.. sometimes you don't. this weekend i bought 2 4$ boosters and got a planeswalker of the color I needed and an elder god of the color i needed by random chance. both cards exceeded the cost of the boosters themselves. I got lucky...

I have seen people make custom built decks that are made totally out of rare+ creatures, lands and artifacts and cost 60-300$ depending.
@mqstout - thank you for that explanation. It was succinct and very helpful!
(03-17-2014 11:13 AM)ATOEtalGeek Wrote: [ -> ]Even worse for me - I don't know what CCG, LCG and XCG mean ???

Apologies... sometimes get stuck in acronym mode!!

CCG and LCG covered off by mgstout.

XCG = Expandable card game. Similar-ish to LCG in a sense, but not following a regular release schedule. The one example I have and am fond of is Dungeoneer (Atlas Games). One can mix and match sets, and can also add sets to advance the difficulty - those familiar with it - Tomb of the Lich Lord (Heroic), Call of the Lich Lord (Epic), Wrath of the Serpant Goddess (Legendary).
and all of them drain the wallet!
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's