TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: My Zombicide Zombies (My first time EVER doing anything like this)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have never really had much artistic talent. So, I really never thought I would be able to paint my miniatures at all. A couple of my friends from my gaming group have painted all their zombies and Survivors from Zombicide. So, they offered to teach me. Still, I was reluctant, because, again, I have never been good at doing anything involving art. But, something motivated me to finally give it a try. It seemed like it would be a lot of fun. So, we had a paint day where the two guys who had done it taught their whole process to those of us who have not. I have to say, I have been very pleasantly surprised with myself. I am really happy with how they have been coming out. I have been taking my time, so I haven't done many yet, but I am having a lot of fun with it.

Below are some pics of the zombies I have painted so far. I'm not really necessarily looking for feedback because I'm honestly not worried about whether or not I improve. Frankly, I never thought I could do something like this, so I am just loving that I actually am pretty good at it, if I do say so myself. Though, even so I would certainly not mind tips if anybody felt they had some to share. Anyway, here are some pics:

Fatties:
[Image: IMG_8839.jpg]
[Image: IMG_8840.jpg]
[Image: IMG_8841.jpg]
[Image: IMG_8848.jpg]

Runners:
[Image: IMG_8854.jpg]
[Image: IMG_8853.jpg]
[Image: IMG_8852.jpg]

Walkers:
[Image: IMG_8851.jpg]

Abomination (only done one of these so far):
[Image: IMG_8849.jpg]
[Image: IMG_8850.jpg]
Fantastic, just fantastic! Nothing I can offer but admiration as I've not done anything at all with my gray models. I love the level of detail you've put on with the blood and gore and all.
They look delicious pal, truly brilliant, and for a 1st attempt I am blown away. I enjoy painting, but as of yet been too afraid to paint either my LNoE minis or my Zcide minis purely because I really dont want to muck them up, but you've inspired me. If mine turn out hakf as sexy as yours I'll be a happy abomination.
Thanks, guys! I really appreciate it! Frankly, I am honestly blown away with myself. I'm not usually one to toot my own horn, but I just never thought I would be able to do something like this.

I do owe it all to the two members of my gaming group who taught us. They were great teachers. Plus, they have been doing it for a while, so they have their process down pretty darn well.

I LOVE gore, so all of my zombies are going to be pretty bloody. LOL! The blood stuff that my team suggested is amazing! It is a tad too red, so you just mix a puddle of it half with black, half just as is, and that gives you the perfect mix of darker blood and really red blood so it looks pretty realistic. Shiny too.

I think perhaps the best part they taught me, though, was using this black varnish stuff on the clothing. After you paint it (but before you do the blood) you paint over the clothing with this black varnish (we use Min Wax Poly Shades Glossy Black). It adds more detail and also makes them look dirty. Then, once that dries, if desired you can spray it with a clear flat spray to remove some of the shiny look (unless it is meant to look like leather or something else you want to look shiny). Then you add the blood last, so it is shiny and stands out more.

Anyways, it is a lot of fun! I am so glad I finally gave it a try.
This guy's a grifter he's been painting years!

Just kidding Staypuff WOOOHOOOO!! THEY TURNED OUT GREAT!
+1 Rep
I'm super impressed with the models and scenery you guys are turning out lately!
Thanks, Samurai! I really appreciate the positive feedback I have been getting. :-) My gaming buddies even said the same thing. I was saying my minis were pretty good for my first time, they kept telling me they were good period.

I'm still just so amazed that I have been able to do this, because I really never have done anything like this. It is so much fun!
Ohmahgod, those are terrifying! FANTASTIC job on those StayPuft!
The Polyshades are a good and inexpensive alternative to Army Painter's Shades. Although, it is still usually applied to the whole model and then sprayed flat. Then a little added color is given.

These are great by the way. I have nothing to criticize.
Thanks, everybody! I'm really flattered by all the positive feedback I have received. Not too darn bad for my first time, and for a guy who never thought he could do anything like this.

Yeah, the Min Wax polyshades stuff is awesome. Makes them look even more detailed, and makes the clothes look nice and dirty and grimy.

And, yes, the process the guys taught me then involves spraying them flat with a clear, flat coat. You put the blood stuff on after that so the blood shines, but the clothing doesn't (unless you want it to such as for leather).

A couple times, I couldn't spray them flat because of the weather, though. One of my gaming buddies told me if there is too much moisture in the air, it might cause bad effects such as turning them white instead of flatening them. That happened to be the first weekend after our paint day, so I wanted to paint more of my zombies. So, I wound up just skipping that part. It is better not to skip that if you can help it, but it doesn't look too bad even if you do.
Those look great!
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's