TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Balsa Woodinvale - 3D building project for LNoE
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This project has been years in the making but having recently completed the first 4 'L board' sections, my zombies can now go rumble in the urban jungle:

[attachment=2661]

The buildings are made of balsa wood, cardboard and plastic - cut, glued and painted.

I have tried designing the buildings to make them in some way self-explanatory e.g. making the barn look like a barn (this is of course a bit more challenging with other buildings):

[attachment=2665]

Like shown in this picture all rooftops are removable:

[attachment=2662]

The interior walls are all black as I feel it adds to the darkish atmosphere of the game and replicates the black lines of the building walls on the original board. Only the building 'floors' are painted:

[attachment=2664]

The playing surface (a painted latex rubber gaming mat from Zuzzy) is separable from the buildings and other accessories:

[attachment=2663]
Looks great! I'm also in the midst of building a 3D board (I actually just updated my thread on this topic today), so I can completely understand the amount of time and effort that was put into this. I especially like that you included rooftops on the buildings, as it really completes the overall look of the board.

I'm only two L-boards in so I look forward to completing my fourth in order to test it out with an actual game. Coincidentally, I also plan to start with the same four board sections. I've completed the church/graveyard/police station and cornfield/barn/farmhouse so far and I'm currently working on the hangar/hospital/diner and high school/gym.

Keep it up! Looking forward to seeing more of this project.
A very impresive project that certainly adds to the game feel. well done and thanks for sharing

+1 Reputation
I take my hat off to you. 10/10 for the 3D Woodinvale. You have my utmost respect with ample helpings of envyZombie17

an easy +1 Rep
Wow, looks awesome! Making it 3D makes the play field look a little more confined though, doesn't it?
Looks, really kewl. Nice work Watchmen02
(04-21-2014 04:14 PM)BigDumbYak Wrote: [ -> ]Wow, looks awesome! Making it 3D makes the play field look a little more confined though, doesn't it?

It does a bit, yes. This is why I chose to go with 3 inch squares (double the size of the current sqaures) when building my 3D board. To me, doing this makes the buildings seem a bit more to scale with the miniatures and it helps spread out things more.

With that said, I take nothing away from this project. This is truly amazing work and I've taken some inspiration from this project to help finish my own.
Dude, it looks like the one Zombie in the Barn is sitting on the couch and he's angry that you're interrupting him during The Walking Dead.

"Brains! rrrrrr... grrrrr... hate....rick....BRAINS!!!"
<throws his hand at the TV>
scarydk Wrote:[Image: attachment.php?aid=2664]
I LOVE IT!
You guys are so awesome. I couldn't even begin to make these things!
Thanks guys for the positive feedback.

(04-21-2014 02:26 AM)sgiove Wrote: [ -> ]Coincidentally, I also plan to start with the same four board sections. I've completed the church/graveyard/police station and cornfield/barn/farmhouse so far and I'm currently working on the hangar/hospital/diner and high school/gym.

For me at least it was the most obvious starting point because those buildings offer the most true zombie/WD series/horror movie kind of feel. So I totally get your starting point too Insane20

(04-21-2014 04:14 PM)BigDumbYak Wrote: [ -> ]Wow, looks awesome! Making it 3D makes the play field look a little more confined though, doesn't it?

It does. If I were to redo it all I would probably go bigger. The only downside would be the extra cost of materials, extra storage space and more time needed to complete but that would be totally worth it! Watchmen02

(04-21-2014 07:35 PM)sgiove Wrote: [ -> ]This is why I chose to go with 3 inch squares (double the size of the current sqaures) when building my 3D board. To me, doing this makes the buildings seem a bit more to scale with the miniatures and it helps spread out things more.

For the time being my biggest "issue" isn't the lack of Space (as I would have expected) but the fact that my co-players love the buildings with the rooftops on and as such we have found ourselves completing an entire game with figures climbing on the rooftops instead of entering the buildings Watchmen02

(04-21-2014 09:43 PM)BigDumbYak Wrote: [ -> ]Dude, it looks like the one Zombie in the Barn is sitting on the couch and he's angry that you're interrupting him during The Walking Dead.

Guess that explains why it looks like he's about to throw his remote control at the bystanders.

Although I'm not going to add accessories to the buildings (luckily no room for that stuff!) it seems a bit odd to have 2D spawning pits, so I decided to make my own. That's why there's a zombie watching an episode of the Walking Dead inside the barn (he's probably watching the scene where the heroes gun Down all the 'walkers' exiting the barn). Here's the current selection of spawning pits:

[attachment=2676]
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's