TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Rules Thoughts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well the Rulebook is up & I'm impressed with the
completeness. It seems that FFP has covered
everything I could think of that you would want in
a Dungeon Crawl.

Some of the stuff is explained more fully in an Adventure
Book (which isn't available on line) but one of the Things
I liked about Warhammer Quest (the granddaddy of Board
Dungeon Quests) was you could visit a town after the Quest
& have encounters ,train & buy items SoB also has this.

The Corruption thing is cool as part of a Campaign you
get too much Dark Stone & the Hero starts to mutate,
you even get plastic sprunes of mutations so you can
convert the Hero!

There is really so much content it's hard to single stuff out
to comment on .Anyone else want to give their impression
on the various mechanics?

PS Of course SoB has the KO Mechanic from other FFP Games but I like
the various ways Heroes can save themselves from wounds, you can even
have a Hero drag a KO Hero along. The Lantern Mechanic is handled
nicely something that a lot of Dungeon ignore or make a major pain,
it also serves as a prod to keep the posse together.
Having played it already at the demo, there was very little in the rulebook I didn't already know, but I was reminded of a few things, like the otherworld Threat deck; the Otherworld threat deck allows for unique variations of the monsters. For example, in our demo game, in the Targa plateau, we encountered Void Spiders that were specifically arctic, and had special abilities of their own.

I was pleased to see a way to cancel Growing Dread cards, too.

The different Sidebag contents are cool, too -- I remember only having a choice at the beginning of the game between bandages, whiskey, or dynamite.
I'm really happy with this rulebook.

With all of the Kickstarter Q&A comments about the rules, I generally knew what to expect, but there were some neat surprises in there.

I'm really happy to see a pretty even blend of RPG, tabletop, and board game elements to the game - it feels rich, and fleshed out. There are a lot of situational rules though, that I'm sure only actual game play will help to learn and remember.

The carry-weight limits on cards and characters makes me happy, as does the one and two-handedness of weapons.

There are only a couple of things that gave me pause, but I'm sure an FAQ will happen soonish.

Unfortunately, the parts of the game that I'm most interested in seeing are in the Adventure Book, so...unless we get a preview of that, I'm assuming I'll have to wait until the release.
Yeah, I'm most interested in the campaign rules myself, and they seemed to indicate in the last update that the Adventure Book is intended to be something we get to see when we get our copy. They did state: "When you receive the game, you'll still have a lot of excitement and surprises in the Adventure Book (or Adventure Books if you got both core sets!)."

So I'll just have to wait here, being impatient.
So hard to wait now that that the Rules are up. I see a little flack on BGG about
having to assemble the Figs. I have a couple of Games that the miniatures came
completely assembled (1 even had them painted) but of course they weren't on the
scale of SoB.

From what I've seen its mostly just a matter of gluing the miniature to its base.
Some of the larger figs looks like maybe will need more like wings.

It's not a big deal for me as I'm a miniatures Gamer & use to assembly & with
plastic all need is glue.

OD
There was a TON of flack in the Kickstarter comments, too, mostly from the same two trolls who were dominating the comments for a few hours, mostly repeating themselves and occasionally also complaining about the sales at GenCon. (The term "slap in the face" may have been used at least once.)

As I've noted elsewhere, I can understand the frustration if you're not used to assembly, but it was always a possibility, so I'm not getting the outrage. Even if you're terrible at assembly, a little practice can go a long way towards making it work. And as far as the GenCon sales go... I'm actually glad for it. After all, we want SoBS to do well, and sales at GenCon (at a higher price than what we Kickstartered folks paid, with way less eventual material) will help with that -- and eventually bring about the Hell Train. Right? Zombie17
The GenCon Games are a special air shipment (which costs)just to have
some Product to introduce the Game to the public.

It's not like there opening sales up to the public before the Backers
get theirs, it's just a few Games to promote SoB.
But Trolls will latch to to anything just complain for the sake of complaining.

OD
Neither the assembly (I'm also a long-time miniatures gamer) nor the Gen Con sales bother me at all. Ironically, I will be in Indy visiting family during Gen Con, but I didn't have any plans to go to the convention so I won't have any chance to pick up the game while I'm in town - probably for the best though since it sounds like it would be a lot of game to lug back to LA.

Anyway...let them sell the game if it helps get buzz. I'll be getting a ton of Kickstarter extras when all the waves ship out anyway, so no big deal.

Having said that, I want it now.
(07-22-2014 11:45 PM)Odie Wrote: [ -> ]Having said that, I want it now.

Exactly how I feel. So deeply excited for this game.

Oh, as far as how much game it would be to lug home? Each base game is like the size of the FanG box, or two LNoE boxes side by side. So, yeah. It's pretty huge.
So is anyone here going to be at Gen Con to get their copy?
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's