TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: paints
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
what brand of paint do you use for your models?
I have always used GW paints but my pots are aging out & I'm using a lot up on my current
project.GW hasn't offered a decent paint pot in years I have some of the hex shaped ones
from probably 20 years ago that still hold good paint. Everything since then will dry out
the paint over time.

GW also switches their paint supplies way too much & changes the name of the paints &
I'm tired of tracking down what ever their calling Bestial Brown now so I've been buying Reaper
paints & have been pleased (more paint/less $) with the results (you need to shake them really
hard before use).

OD
If you would like an alternative I use Army Painter paints with no issues.

I have used GW in the past, there is nothing wrong with them its just that I find them over priced (and the pots have shrunk!)
(08-11-2014 12:13 PM)UK_zombie Wrote: [ -> ]If you would like an alternative I use Army Painter paints with no issues.

I have used GW in the past, there is nothing wrong with them its just that I find them over priced (and the pots have shrunk!)

Glad to hear,I've never used Army Painter but I believe
they make the paint sets SoB is offering so I'm using some of
mu MC Credit to get them.

OD
I use GW's paints. OD is right they can't seem to make a decent paint pot! I mean how hard can it be to make a pot that can be airtight? Or if it gets clogged be easy to clean?

That been said I have used Army painter spray primers, they're fantastic! (although you have to be careful you don't spray it on to thickly 'cos it's way thicker than GW spray primers).

I have also used Reaper paints. Their drop bottles (or whatever they're called) are the way forward. From a design point of view. I've not really used enough of their paints to give a comprehensive review on them.

All-in-all. I still think GW make the best quality paints. Yes even though their pots suck. They're expensive and you get less than other brands. From experience I've been using their new line for a while now and I can't fault the pigment quality, coverage and choice of colours. The base coats, shades and layer paints (highlights) really DO compliment each other. They also do a line called edge paints that are like super highlights.

Here's an example see the bright orange on the armour edges. That's an edge pant.
[attachment=2768]

I'm going to use GW for now but if they change their paint line again. I swear I'm leaving 'em and I said it here. H

Happy paintingWatchmen02
(08-11-2014 11:13 AM)Old Dwarf Wrote: [ -> ]I'm tired of tracking down what ever their calling Bestial Brown

New Citadel - Squig Orange (but its very different)
Army Painter - Tanned flesh (and it's very close)
Reaper - Rust Brown (also different)

One good thing about Army Painter is their color primers are the exact same color as their regular paints.

Any of the dropper paints are my favorite. Some are better than others and it depends on the people and what they are used to. But dripping into a palate and adding water or a different thinner is prime. Leaving a Pot open dries them out prematurely. BTW.. with miniatures, you ALWAYS want to thin the paint.

Insane01
WarPaint is an app I use on my phone. It has listings for many of the popular brands. With it you can compare the color between them.
(08-11-2014 10:58 PM)SpoKnight Wrote: [ -> ]WarPaint is an app I use on my phone. It has listings for many of the popular brands. With it you can compare the color between them.

thanks i will try and find it.
i used to use GW paints but they have doubled in price and shrank.

still got some from 7 years ago. not sure if they will be ok but i will find out next week.
SK-Thanks for the color tip-I do most of my bases in
Bestial Brown & I like to keep all my specific Game related miniatures on the same colored base.

My Victorian Imperialism Project is taxing my final BB Pot.
I've scraped off all the dried gunk from the sides & lid
added a little water & crushed everything up to keep
going. However, I keep adding to the Project so I may
need to try the Army Paint you suggested.

sb-I would bet that unless your GW is the old hex sided one that your paints are toast. I actually ordered paint from GW in the
newer pots & it was dried up on Delivery!

OD
i've bene using gw paints for about 15 ys myself. starting to run out!

(08-11-2014 11:13 AM)Old Dwarf Wrote: [ -> ]I have always used GW paints but my pots are aging out & I'm using a lot up on my current
project.GW hasn't offered a decent paint pot in years I have some of the hex shaped ones
from probably 20 years ago that still hold good paint. Everything since then will dry out
the paint over time.

GW also switches their paint supplies way too much & changes the name of the paints &
I'm tired of tracking down what ever their calling Bestial Brown now so I've been buying Reaper
paints & have been pleased (more paint/less $) with the results (you need to shake them really
hard before use).

OD
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's