TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Evil Wins! The worst game ever.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So last night my wife and I got together with our neighbors and we pulled out ye old Touch of Evil. They hadn't gotten a chance to try out the Coast so we played a competitive game against the Sunken Seven, while leaving the Forbidden Lake board off to the side.

And it was the worst game I have ever played.

For me specifically, I got knocked out on my first turn and spent the next 8 turns getting knocked out either during the mystery phase or during my turn every round. And it wasn't the same effect every time either it was a variety of things from global events triggered from the minion chart to corner location minions to shadow cards but it would always end up with the same result. We never had all 4 heroes go down simultaneously but 3 down at one time made up about 1/5 of all turns total.

By the time the shadow track hit the final section we pooled all of our resources onto one guy and over the course of two rounds rallied against the darkness and fought valiantly to bring the shadow track back a full 7 points from 1 and get our man into position to initiate a showdown, only to have a series of 3 shadow cards in one round pull us back down a full 8 points and end the game.

Not satisfied with being denied victory after such a struggle we went ahead with the final combat against the sunken 7 and even then we lost!!!!

Worst game I have ever played. Even beats out our first go against the Necromancer where we got stuck in town hall with no equipment as a hoard of zombies bore down upon us from the country side.

I don't get beaten into a bloody undignified pulp by board games very often. It's always a memorable experience when it happens. Funny how that works. This will probably be in my top 3 aToE games I specifically recall.

Do you have a time when Evil won? A time when you wanted to call the game "A heavy handed application of evil," when you simply couldn't catch a break no matter what you did? Share below!
I've done around 4 Game Reports from AToE & 2 were losses I think "The Devil you Know" at the
Top of this Forum was my best Game even though I lost. My Hero kept going insane & we had
a hunting party that turned out to be Evil Elders.

OD
You know, it sounds like you had fun, despite how it goes. Your story's pretty vivid and you came here to share it...

Admit it!
Well yeah! Watchmen02 Definitely a great story, and I did have fun.
I saw this thread and thought it was somebody saying A Touch of Evil itself is the worst game ever. LOL! Opened it to realize it was just a story about the worst ever round of AToE they had, in which they were basically massacred.

I think we've all had games like that. Sucks. But, just makes you hungry for revenge next time. ;-)
Yup, without the risk of getting your arse kicked, it wouldn't be much fun. Watchmen02 Gotta take those occasional beatings gracefully, because it just makes the rematch & (eventual) win that much sweeter. Watchmen02
(10-24-2014 09:29 PM)MoonSylver Wrote: [ -> ]Yup, without the risk of getting your arse kicked, it wouldn't be much fun. Watchmen02 Gotta take those occasional beatings gracefully, because it just makes the rematch & (eventual) win that much sweeter. Watchmen02

This is my way of thinking too. Any game that is a challenge, brings my back for more! The more I get beaten, the more it makes my think both tactically and strategically. I do love unpredictability and replayability, which likewise keeps me coming back for more!

Unfortunately, we're in a cyber-age where perception is if you can't win... or beat the game... then you give up and it's seen as no good. Hell... people hunt down "walkthroughs" to win and beat games - facepalm!! (what's the damn point?).
That's one thing that slightly annoys me about my gaming group. Not that I mean to complain, they are a great crew. But, when we get a new game we tend to play the heck out of it. To the point where the rest of my group kind of gets sick of it. Me, if I love again enough I could play it again and again and again and always love it. Mind you, I love variety too, but I can always hit my favorites and love it.

So, at the very least I would like to re-visit our best games now and then. But, they get tired of a game and it never sees the light of day again for a good while. Usually we eventually pick it up again now and then, but it is few and far between.

It just annoys me because I like to at least play them now and then. We haven't played Last Night On Earth for a while. Recently we finally get a chance to play when it was just me and one other guy there and it was a really crappy game session. It was so uneventful and anticlimactic on both ends. I was rolling 1's left and right for my movement and getting crappy cards that neither helped me nor where the scenario search items.

The zombie player was getting nothing but crappy cards too. The whole game session was just very meh. Later, he commented that it soured him from playing again right away. Part of me wanted to smack him. LOL! That game is almost always a ton of fun. It's even always been one of his personal favorites. But, we played the heck out of it and he had grown bored of it. We FINALLY get to play again and he lets one bad session sour him on it? ARGH! LOL!
SP-that's why you need Beer with your Games to cover situations like you describe.

OD
OD's got the right of it. The very first time we ever played aToE, we thought the villain was a playable character and one of my buddies ended up sitting back for 3 hours drinking beer, roleplaying the werewolf, and wondering when he was going to get to do something. We all felt pretty bad but he said he still had a great time. I think the beer had something to do with it. Zombie17
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's