TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: New Class for Shadows of Brimstone: The Chinese Railroad Worker
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Back when the Kickstarter was running I campaigned to have a Chinese Railroad Worker added to the game. There were many reasons for this. The first was that the Chinese, whether as railroad workers, miners, or merchants were often included in Western movies and stories. The second was that the First Transcontinental Railroad was finished in 1869, and the majority of people who worked on it were Chinese. The game takes place in the 1880s, so it would make perfect sense to have them around. I also had just watched Shanghai Noon and was excited with the idea of a martial artist in the Old West.

Flying Frog shot it down, however, claiming that they did not want to create characters based on racial stereotypes. Of course, this made no sense. They already had the Mexican Bandido, and later on added the Wandering Samurai. The Samurai idea was not only a stereotype but one that could not be backed up historically, unlike the Chinese who started arriving in the US in the 1820s.

I decided that if the Chinese Railroad Workers were to be added to Shadows of Brimstone I would have to add them myself. The first step was to find suitable miniatures both in terms of size and thematically. I was able to find these in Malifaux's miniatures. They had a railroad crew that included both male and female miniatures. Next I had to create the cards, which was more difficult than with past games. It wasn't only the card I had to create but the skill trees. I think, though, that I was able to come up with unique skills and trees that were balanced as well.

I'm now sharing it with you all so you can add them to your games. (This is my second try, though, because the pictures uploaded so gigantically before that I couldn't see them properly.)
I like this, much better than the Samurai, which I also felt was a stretch.
Samurai belong in Feudal Japan & TZG not in the SW. US.

Good job, I have to try to get the figs. when I return home

OD
Excellent! Glad you liked it!

The miniatures also come with three skinny guys with various mechanical limbs and a small golem-like creature. I figure the golem could be a Dark Stone creature of some kind and the three mechanical guys a part of a gang or something, but I didn't get the option with the extra cards. I don't want to mess with getting cards printed that would be the same quality as SoB, but making the enemy sheets wouldn't be too hard (except for quality pictures, I guess).
Reference URL's