TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Playing Card Order and Cancelling Fights
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok, I have played LNOE it seems like for 3-4 years now. EVERY game I play there is always a dispute on what card is played when and what cancels what and who gets to play when.

To my understanding a general fight goes like so....

Hero rolls 2 fight dice.
Zombie Player rolls 1 fight dice.

Here is where it gets tricky, generally you would assume that the person losing the fight would be the first to play a card/use a weapon. However, lots of times this isn't always so.

So lets pretend the hero player is winning the fight (No doubles rolled).

The zombie player wants to play a fight card which is fine and rolls some dice and is still losing.

The hero player plays a card that allows him to KILL a zombie in a fight even if no doubles were rolled.

The zombie player attempts to respond with a card that says no zombies may be KILLED this turn.

Is this a legal move or was the zombie killed when the hero player played his card?

My second question is.... Do you take turns on the play of cards like whats above or is it first to say something?

Lets say the zombie player is winning the fight and then responds with a card that they want to cause an additional wound in a fight that was won.

The hero says wait a minute! I didn't get to use my weapon. Rolls his Baseball Bat and comes out winning the fight.

Does the zombie player lose that card or just pick it back up into his hand since a wound wasn't caused an additional wound wouldn't be a legal play correct? They wouldn't lose that card to the discard pile.

Last question has to do with cancelling zombie cards.

I read in the FAQ that
Quote:"A fight may be cancelled after the fight dice have been rolled. This ends the fight immediately and is not resolved (no one wins or loses the Fight, it just ends.)"

I also read that
Quote:"A card may not be cancelled once it has caused dice to be rolled or re-rolled."

This suggests to me that a fight would take place and the players would use weapons/ play Fight cards/Events as their heart desires. Cancelling this Fight would still be allowed because you aren't cancelling the cards that were played you are cancelling the fight but its conflicting because cards were played that causes rolls or re-rolls within the fight so cancelling the fight effectively cancels the cards played.

So whats the ruling on cancelling a fight if more than the standard fight dice are rolled due to cards?

Thanks so much, I hope this all makes sense as I was a chemistry and biology major not an English major. Zombie17 If I can try to clarify anything I will.

The card stating zombies could not be Killed was...

Quote:Overwhelmed

Play on any space that has at least twice as many Zombies as Heroes. Every Zombie in that space rolls an extra Fight Dice and may not be Killed in any way until the end of the turn.
Good post and I look forward to replies. Remember that teh zombie player can only play one 'Fight' card per fight, unless a certain card Remains in Play.
Right, I think we got that. The Overwhelmed doesnt say Fight: on it.
That card was probably the Event card "Get Back You Devils"? "Play to Kill any Zombie beaten in a fight, even if no doubles were rolled."
The Hero player made a mistake playing that card during the fight. Since the fight was not yet resolved the Zombie had not been beaten. He needed to wait until the fight was resolved, then he needed to play it before "Overwhelmed" was played.

If Get Back was played after the fight, it would Kill the Zombie just beaten, even if Overwhelmed is played in response. The Get Back Event is resolved immediately so the Kill takes place. Overwhelmed would not apply to that Zombie (might not even apply to that space now if there are no longer twice the number of Zs as Heroes).
The Overwhelmed card does trump Get Back for future fights. In this particular case the Get Back card defines a particular way a Hero can Kill a Zombie. The Overwhelmed card declares that particular Zombies in that space may not be Killed in any way - including in Get Back's particular way.
So I would need to ask...Are you done playing cards? The zombie player say yes then say "OK I am playing Get Back You Devils and killing the zombie."
Yes, that's correct. Both sides have to agree they are done playing cards and using their abilities to modify the results, then the fight is resolved.

From page 15 of the Base Rules:
"Resolving The Fight
A Fight is only resolved after all players have decided not to use any cards or abilities.

Once both players have chosen their highest Fight Dice roll and are done using cards and abilities, the fight is resolved as follows:"
Thanks!
Do you think it's helped to make it any more clear in your mind now? I think the timing around Fights has to do with before the Fight is resolved vs after the Fight is resolved (wounds are applied). We struggled with the timing at first too until we put it into this perspective.
There's no hard rules on it. (This isn't Magic the Gathering.) It usually doesn't matter other than managing the cards you have in your hand.

The only place it does matter is is when the card says "instantly" ("instantly killed"). Nothing* undoes that, if there's not already a prevent-kill clause.

*Actually, preventing wounds does, since "killed" is defined as "fill up wound boxes".

As for canceling fights, all's fair.
(04-20-2015 01:35 PM)alderdust Wrote: [ -> ]Last question has to do with cancelling zombie cards.

I read in the FAQ that
Quote:"A fight may be cancelled after the fight dice have been rolled. This ends the fight immediately and is not resolved (no one wins or loses the Fight, it just ends.)"

I also read that
Quote:"A card may not be cancelled once it has caused dice to be rolled or re-rolled."

This suggests to me that a fight would take place and the players would use weapons/ play Fight cards/Events as their heart desires. Cancelling this Fight would still be allowed because you aren't cancelling the cards that were played you are cancelling the fight but its conflicting because cards were played that causes rolls or re-rolls within the fight so cancelling the fight effectively cancels the cards played.

So whats the ruling on cancelling a fight if more than the standard fight dice are rolled due to cards?

I believe all your questions were answered except the last. A card can be played to cancel a fight even if fight dice are rolled due to a card. The difference is some card cancel a "fight" and other cards cancel a "card". You can not wait to see the results of a die role and then decide to cancel the "card". The "card" must be canceled before the die roll although the "fight" still may be canceled after the die is rolled.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's