TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Movies for... A Touch of Evil?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
We've had a ton of movie discussions about Last Night on Earth/Zombie films, which, admittedly, is a much bigger genre... But let's have some talk about media we can use alongside A Touch of Evil.

Some that come to mind:
* The Village (minus the silly twist)
* Sleepy Hollow
* The Brothers Grimm?

That's possibly a first point of contention... Does it have to be colonial supernatural/horror, or can it just be period? With what cutoff?

Are there any "haunted ship" movies out there that aren't modern(ish) era?

Let's start just brainstorming some for now, at least.

Here we go, I dug this one up:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056277/plot..._=tt_ov_pl

Night Creatures (1962)
Plot Summary

Showing all 2 plot summaries

In this engaging costume melodrama of skulduggery on the low seas set back in the 18th-century, the Royal Crown suspects a bit of smuggling is going on in this locale, and they send Captain Collier and his crew to check it out. As the Captain gets into his investigation, mysterious swamp phantoms cloud up the real issue which seems plain enough to see. Captain Collier suspects that the odd village vicar might be hiding something, and what better way to do that than by fortuitous ghosts to scare away the curious, or by posing as someone he is not?
- Written by Dylan Conner

Captian Collier arrives in and English coastal town with his band of navy men to investigate reports of illegal smuggling and bootlegging, only to find that he must also investigate reports of "Marsh Phantoms," being said to ride on phantom horses through the marshes spreading terror to any who encounter them. The Captian suspects that the local vicar is hiding something as well.
- Written by SindyMac
Brotherhood of the Wolf.
Red Riding Hood (2011)
Werewolf: The Beast Among Us
Hansel and Gretel; Witch Hunters
Dr. Syn: The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh
Lost Colony: The Legend of Roanoke
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
Bram Stokers Dracula
The Woman in Black

All of the old Universal monster films, all the old Hammer horror films

The Fog, while set in the 80's, has a very good sea side haunted village ghost vibe.

Google "Gothic Horror Films" & you'll get a bunch. Watchmen02
I'm not really adding anything but I would definitely agree with
Brotherhood of the Wolf
Sleepy Hollow
The Fog
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein

If I think of any I will add themZombie17
Eyes of fire, http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0085515/

Ginger snaps back: the beginning, http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0365265/
Yeah Brotherhood of the wolf was like A Touch of Evil - the Movie for me.

Sleepy Hollow is also a perfect match.
I've definitely seen Brotherhood of the Wolf and liked it; thanks for the reminder.
As a movie I can add another French one: Vidocq 2001.
And what about the series Penny Dreadful? Seems to be the exact plot!

Plus you could consider the Van Helsing 2004 (although not great in my opinion), and slightly aside in the topic Abraham Lincoln, vampire hunter, and even Ravenous (1999).

Finally, moving from century, I'd also take the thematic of
The 13th warrior (1999)
and the not so good, Solomon Kane (2009)
I can see Vidocq counting, good memory. As for 13th Warrior -- I just remember not liking the film, no other details.
Another good one although a bit earlier in the historical time: Perfume: the story of a murderer (2006).

13th warrior has this kind of scared viking village, afraid of a monster who's been killing people around. They ask the heroes for protection. Later in the plot, the mysterious killer-monsters appeared to be tribesmen pretending to be bears, and obbeying a witch, which represented the mother earth.
I saw the new Krampus movie over the Holidays and it was fun for me. Even though it wasn't set in the period (it is set in modern day), it had a very Volgovian Nutcracker/Krampus ATOE feel for me because of the theme, scenario, plot, characters and heroics. It was a fairly lighthearted romp through the horror genre but had just the right amount of the exploration & discovery, historical mystery, supernatural suspense and "don't go in there" feel. I loved the minion battles, the super-unlikely scenarios and the ultimate Krampus showdown. The "Heroes" got their butts kicked so, thankfully, Krampus lives to fight another day.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's