TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Lights Out - New Rule
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Lights Out
Play this card at the start of a Zombie Turn on any building to place a Lights Out marker o it. The Zombies have cut the power. Any Hero moving into a space within this building immediately ends their move.

New Variant
Same as above but add "Line of sight is limited to one space inside of a building with Lights Out marker on it."

I was playing a game "Zombie Pillage" where zombie were content saying in the center of a lights out building to slow heroes getting to them. The hero finally got a ranged weapon and wanted to shoot into a lights out building at distance two. The rules (to my knowledge) allow this but thematically I think it should be changed.

Please provide your thoughts on adding/changing this rule for Lights Out markers.
No reason it shouldn't work and I agree it fits really well thematically. I will give the Heroes a challenge for sure.
That really makes it a heck of a lot stronger. I believe (SamuraiTrev will pull it up if it's true...) that the Frog said that they considered that but kept it out for balance, with theme of "Lights aren't out entirely, just off most of the time with occasional flickers that allow a shot."
Totally agree.
Indeed, I was already playing like that
+ thematically, I was also adding + 1 difficulty to hit.

I also considered making more difficult to find items, for example: If a hero starting his/her movement on a building with: "Lights out", the hero can't search if the move roll is lower than 3.

The malus is removed if the hero has a light item: torch, headlamp, lamp etc... (headlamp should exist as an item!)

Certainly all this made "Lights out" much more powerful, so I also changed the rule of "place in a building of your choice" for "place on a random building".
1) As far as using ranged weapons with Lights Out!, I feel (thematically speaking) that if a zombie is in an exterior doorway, there would be enough ambient light to fire a ranged weapon at that target.

2) Also, along with what mqstout said, with a 'light flicker' you might catch a glimpse or silhouette of something inside a building. Technically speaking though, Lights Out! means lights out i.e. no power...

3) But, to be fair, I would say that inside a building the range of the weapon would be 1 adjacent square; i.e. touching the square the Hero is standing on. In 'real life' you would see the zombie, hear it, or smell it at very least to be able to fire a weapon.
WOW, that is exactly what we just came up with for a house rule! Minus one to ranged attack rolls and can only search if you pass a 3+ roll. Heroes normally don't have any need to be more than a space or two from a door, so "lights out" feels like it usually doesn't matter at all. I wanted the Hero team to have a reason to feel a sense of dread, (or at least be mildly concerned,) when the power is cut.

(06-15-2016 02:24 PM)Reurnal Wrote: [ -> ]Totally agree.
Indeed, I was already playing like that
+ thematically, I was also adding + 1 difficulty to hit.

I also considered making more difficult to find items, for example: If a hero starting his/her movement on a building with: "Lights out", the hero can't search if the move roll is lower than 3.

The malus is removed if the hero has a light item: torch, headlamp, lamp etc... (headlamp should exist as an item!)

Certainly all this made "Lights out" much more powerful, so I also changed the rule of "place in a building of your choice" for "place on a random building".
Reference URL's