TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: The Cult
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Well Sarku (Rubio Games) has just delivered it's 3rd KS &
it's set in the D-Z Game world.

It's not a D-Z Expansion but a fresh twist as a 1 player Solo
Game using a paragraph system to move the action.
Yes our beloved shambles are around but now you also
have a Cult that out to get you.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/...ict-z-cult

OD
Can't wait to get it into my hands.. I 'HOPE' it's as good as it looks . Zombie03 ( inside joke ).
Cult features a special "George" companion card that you need to do 5 Social Media
things to get. I've got 4 covered but as I don't Tweet or FB getting the 5th is a bit
harder however as soundguy & I have PM each other about Cult I think that should
count as "sharing with a friend"

OD
The Cult has changed course, I guess they got a lot of blow back for using sketch
art for the cards & mats instead of the standard Rubio Pics portraits.

So they changed & are going with portraits which I do prefer but so far they lost
$166 in pledges and are still stuck in the 7K range. Looks like it's going to be a long
slog to make goal.

Maybe it's the Solo Paragraph mechanic that holding this back or perhaps the Zombie Theme
is wearing thin but it's obviously not getting the support D-Z or Slaughterville got in the
critical first few days.

Perhaps just introducing the Cult elements as a D-Z Expansion might have gotten a better response.

OD
I see another person pulled out because they would not get the promo cards if they didn't do the social media campaign. Apparently they took issue with thumming the pics at BGG? Very odd. Basically FREE material for sharing some posts and clicking the mouse!

I do think the DZ style art on the player mats and the item cards will be a benefit, and the sketch art in the play book will give it realism.

In any event. Looks like it is 7.6K$ right now.

Gonna have to push hard to get to the 23.5K stretch goal that starts expanding the story.
(08-08-2016 03:57 PM)soundguy Wrote: [ -> ]I see another person pulled out because they would not get the promo cards if they didn't do the social media campaign. Apparently they took issue with thumming the pics at BGG? Very odd. Basically FREE material for sharing some posts and clicking the mouse!

As a Kickstarter connoisseur, I would agree with the puller-outers. I don't do projects that lock away game play promo content, unless it's strictly cosmetic (alternate art, etc). It's just not right. And forcing social media is even moreso a bad thing. I don't use any of those suggested except Facebook.
Social media is a huge tool for free publicity.

The entire concept of a 'promo' means something special.

Do you think its fair being one of the backers that actually gets the game launched, paying more than the game costs at retail, and having no small benefit to show you help as an initial backer? The backers that he the game to the funding goal are bearing the cost of getting the game out there, taking the risk.. For the rest of the gamers that just want to set back and buy it when its at its cheapest, after launch and print funding..by others.

How can a game be any neater to look at its materials and see a thank you and your name.. Knowing you helped in some small way.

Now that's what makes a collection of cards and dice and paper a game.. Having a personal connection to it.

For instance.. Why will I play dz over another zombie game? That's right, I have me as a character in it. I have probably close to a thou invested in lnoe. All the add ons, extra zombies, all the expansions... I'll tell you what hits the tank more often..dz.
This is the best way communicate my feelings: Here's a few professional game designers talking about it: http://stonemaiergames.com/kickstarter-f...e-content/ . I am soundly in the "anti"-gameplay-exclusives camp. There are plenty of ways to do promos that aren't exclusionary. "exclusive for a limited time" or "included now, expensive later" or, as I mentioned, "alternate art!", non-gameplay-part.

As for risk -- Kickstarter, while technically not risk-free, projects ARE LEGALLY REQUIRED to fulfill what's been sold.

Anyway, more personally... I have backed out from projects when they added exclusive content. I don't want exclusive content. I want any stretch goals (for instance) to make the overall product -- FOR EVERYONE, ALWAYS -- better. And it's not just me. I've been in a few KS projects where there were polls about opening the exclusive content up or not, and all of them overwhelmingly had backers chose not to keep things restricted.

As for social media goals? Many projects have them. If present, they should be combined in accumulation. The sum of everyone's points to unlock XYZ for the campaign. Not the individual. People for various reasons cannot and/or do not and/or will not participate in social media goals. As I previously said, of any of those listed for Cult, the only one that'd even begin to be available to me is the Facebook one. And I don't use Facebook that way.
With no exclusive promo items, why fund a kickstarter? Just wait a few months then order a copy?

No fun in that. Watchmen02

I like having some skin in the game. Zombie03
I see update 3 is out and add ons are starting to pop up.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's