TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Pyramid of Horus
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Having the mythos hand me my Butt in a couple of Games of AH3 I
decided to try something else.I tend to buy Games that have a similar Theme
(thus my Gazillion Lovecraft Stuff) So I'm switching over to my Pulp Themed
Games & try winning in the 1930's.

These include Fortune & Glory,Ancient Terrible things & the Adventures
Pyramid of Horus & Temple of Chac. I chose Pyramid of Horus as I've
never had it on the table before.

The Game lets you explore a Pyramid for Treasure while falling blocks
of stone either crush you of seal you in by blocking the exits.Oh &
Mummies may attack you as well,then there are the snakes,scorpians
& crocks thrown for good measure.

I've added some Fluff to match the Fortune & Glory Good Guy/Nazi thing
to tie the Pulp 30's Theme together for these Games.Here's the opening
Background (the Nazies won the toss so the 2 Adventures are working
for the Reich.

---------------------------------------------------------

Headquarters Ueberprufung der
sogenannten Geheimwissenschaften
Division, Ahnenerbe SS
Berlin ,August,1934

Frauline Von Westarp is here Sir.

Come in ,Heilia it's good to see you again,I think we have a Mission that
will be of interest to you. I know your background in Egyptology has not been
fully utilized by the organization but that's changing due to the Reichsfuhrer's
new emphasis on securing occult items. Your going to Egypt!

Excellent Dr.Wirth ,it will be a pleasure to work in my specialty field & of course
serve the Fatherland. What's the Mission?

Basically it concerns a recently discovered unplundered Pyramid which may well contain
artifacts of great power.You'll be filled in by our spy in the Cairo Museum ,Abdel Wahabi
he's an expert on hieroglyphics,when you get to Cairo. If you determine the information he
has is reliable your to find & explore the Pyramid. You'll be assigned to the Reich Consulate
as a cultural attache as cover. A Zeppelin flight has been arranged for next Wednesday.Good Luck.

El Fishawi's Maqha (Coffee House)
Khan el-Khaili,District
Cairo,Egypt,September,1934

May I help you Madam?

Yes I'm looking for a Abdel Wahabi.

He's the the gentleman with the white beard at the corner table.

Mr.Wahabi,I'm Heila Von Westarp from the German Consulate ,you have
information for us I understand.

Have a Seat Madam,it's a long story. Last June a peasant came to me with an
ancient chest which contained a neckless & a Papyrus which he wanted to sell to
the Cairo museum. He was extremely nervous & asking for only a small amount of money
which led me to believe he was trying to pass off a fake. However upon examination the
the items were authentic then I read the Papyrus aloud & the poor man fainted.
He woke up screaming "their still alive!"I had to subdue him & gradually his senses
returned.He then told me the whole story.

He said he was out on the Abu Rawash Plateau looking for a lost cow & suddenly a sink hole
opened beneath him & fell to the bottom which revealed a tomb entrance.He entered but had
only the dim light from the hole entrance. The tomb was intact & he went in & grabbed the
the nearest chest then a large stone fell from the roof & he ran out fearing the whole structure
was coming down.He turned for a final look, & here is where it gets weird,he swears he saw
walking mummies. The man was so scared he told me to keep the chest that it was cursed
& he just wanted to get rid of the thing.

OK Abdel, that's an interesting story but why did you contact Us about it,my chief indicated
that this had something to do with Occult power artifacts ?

I said it was a long story, I contacted your organization because of what the papyrus
revealed .Are you familiar with Sanaknt?

Pharaoh 3rd Dynesty ,when he ruled is disputed & his supposed Mastaba K2 at Beit-Khallaf is
subject to controversy.I still don't see any connection to power artifacts.

Well Madam,the papyrus indicated that the tomb is dedicated to Horus,Thoth,Sobek,Anubus
& contains the remains of Pharaoh Sanaknt,his wife Initkaes & his architect Imhotep.
It reads they shall live forever there & are protected by the Fist of Seth. I believe
this Fist of Seth is a powerful artifact which can reanimate the dead.I should think
it it would be to your countries army interest.

I see your point Abdel,but still it's a wild story I'll need some solid proof before
I'll go any farther.

I understand Madam do you read Hieroglyphics? If so here's the papyrus study it for yourself,
if your convinced you can organize an expedition to the pyramid.

OK Abdel ,I read not as well as you but with a couple of days study I can figure it out.
But no expedition if this is real an expedition would be too big to hide & would tip off
the British & any treasure hunters for kilometers around.It would be just you & me.
I'll be in touch.

Yes that would be most wise,Good day Madam.
he Abu Rawash Plateau
October,1934

Adbel & Heilia have arrived at the at the entrance to the Pyramid.
Their lanterns show steps leading down to a chamber filled with rubble.
They note although the peasant was telling the truth about the location
no signs of the Stone Blocks he said were caving in are present.

Abdel moves carefully through the rubble of the chamber & his lantern
reveals a 2nd Inner Chamber .He stops to search the rubble at his feet only
to disturb a cobra .The snakes strikes a glancing bite & slithers off.

Heilia follows Abdel into the Chamber moving up to the entrance to the
2nd Chamber. Feeling something beneath her foot she searches & finds
Udjadt, a sacred medallion sacred to the god Horus.

Both Adventures now hear a strange shuffling sound coming from somewhere
in the Inner Chamber.

Then a loud crash followed by a sound of something big splashing down in water
somewhere in the Inner Chamber.

Heilia excited about finding the Udjadt probes the rubble again only to feel
a sharp prick to her hand as a cobra makes a quick strike.She quickly moves
into the Inner Chamber .Her lantern reveals a large pool with a large stone
block halfway submerged surrounded by sand. A corridor runs around the Chamber
lined with Sarcophagus the whole Chamber appears untouched.

Abdel enters the Inner Chamber & stands on the sandy floor he notices a Hieroglyphic
denoting the goddess Hededet. Searching the sand near the Hieroglyphic he finds
a jeweled scarab .

The Shuffling sound again along the surrounding corridor. Heilia briefly sees a
moving shadow.

The sound is lost when another huge crash is heard in the outer chamber.

Abdel continues to search the sand but finds only the painful sting of a scorpion.
He then notices the Sarcophagus along the right side corridor bearing the seal of
the god Thoth,moving into the corridor he pries open one of the Sarcophagus & finds Papyrus scrolls.

Heilia notices the pool Hieroglyphics are praises to Sorbek the crocodile god.She realizes
it's an offering pool & wades in to search for treasure. Instead she is grabbed by a croc &
barely jumps back in time.She moves to the right side corridor.

She turns toward a shuffling sound and sees a mummy shambling up the corridor away from her
from its tattered clothing it appears to be a woman;her scream warn Abdel but too late as
another mummy attacks him.

The sound of the struggle is drowned out by another Crash from the outer chamber.

Heilia opens the sarcophagus & removes a small statue of Anubis

Abdel flees from the mummy & returns to the sandy area where he searches but encounters
another sting from a scorpion .

The shuffling begins again & Heilia sees the woman mummy approaching towards her

Then another stone block comes crashing down on the far edge of the sand area.

Both Adventures realize the entire story the peasant told was true ,the woman mummy pursing Heilia
must be Initkaes & plain wrapped Mummy that attacked Abdel must be the Pharaoh's architect Imhotep.
It appears however that the Mummies are tied to the corridors in which they tread.It is now obvious
that the Pyramid is supernaturally guarded as the papyrus said by the Fist of Seth. The Adventures
decide inspite of minor wounds to press on and grab what treasures they can to justify their mission.

Abdel moves to the far side of the pool & searches the surrounding sandy area finding a chest

Heilia still interested with the offering pool moves into the pool to search only to again having to
suffer another crocodile attack.

The Mummys continue their relentless tread,Abdel near the back of the chamber sees a royal mummy & realizes
it's Sanakht.

Suddenly another stone block crashes down in the sandy area just missing Abdel.

Heilia seeing the Initkaes mummy is moving away from her moves back to the left corridor & opens a Sarcophagus
revealing a small statue dedicated to Anubis.

Abdel moves down to the near end of the pool & searches the sandy area finding jewelry.

Initkaes mummy ignores Hilia & shambles up the corridor.The Imhotep mummy keeps pace with Abdel along the
right hand corridor.

A stone block again breaks loose & lands with a crunch between two other blocks,the upper part of the right
sandy area is now completely cut off.

Heilia seeing the Initkaes mummy is moving away from her moves back to the left corridor & opens a Sarcophagus
revealing a small statue dedicated to Anubis.

Abdel moves down to the near end of the pool & searches the sandy area finding jewelry.

Initkaes mummy ignores Heilia & shambles up the corridor.The Imhotep mummy keeps pace with Abdel along the
right hand corridor.

A stone block again breaks loose & lands with a crunch between two other blocks,the upper part of the right
sandy area is not completely cut off.

Abdel moves to the edge of the Inner Chamber were it joins the Outer Chamber & searches the sand uncovering
more jewelry.

Heilia takes the small statue from the Sarcophagus & studies it.

She fails to notice the shuffling sounds of the mummies treading the corridors & is attacked by Initkaes.

Another stone block falls in the outer chamber, Abdel is near enough to see that the stone fell near the
entrance to the Pyramid nearly blocking the way out.He shouts to warn Heilia.

Heilia still under attack by the mummy manages to break away, She realizes the danger the stone blocks
blocking the exit but is determined to risk getting more Artifacts for her mission & the Fatherland.
She moves to the Offering pool determined to find some of its treasures alas she is again attacked by
the guardian crocodile .She tries again but another crocodile attacks.She orders Abdel to search the pool.

Abdel at this point could give a damn about the Reich but his own greed makes him comply with her order
wading into the pool figuring the crocs are to busy with Heilia to notice pulls out an ancient shield.

The mummies ignoring the Adventures continue to shamble along the outer corridors.

The stone block that now crashes down seals the Pyramids entrance trapping the Adventures for eternity.

(As the lanterns dim & run out of fuel Heilia removes 2 glass capsules from her kit & hands one to Abdel
the sound of glass crunching & all is silence.The stones & treasure are returned to there places by the
will of Seth.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That was a brutal ending. The Pyramid Board has 36 spaces & the Game has 36 plastic Block that
have numbers on the bottom.At the end of each Turnj you randomly draw a block turn it over &
check its number then place it on the matching Board space.It took me only 8 turns to draw blocks
that cut off the Pyramid's only Exit leaving 28 blocks never drawn. It does not pay to mess with
Seth

(the bit at the end is my fluff to let me replay the Game as it sets the Pyramid back to its unexplored
state.)

OD
The Adventurers were published by AEG ,2nd editions were done by FFG . Both the Temple of Chac &
the Pyramid of Horus are 2-6 player ,the Temple provides 12 plastic figs & the Pyramid has 8.The figs are based on
Paolo Parente characters so most of the female sculps have wardrobe malfunctions. Physical components are top notch
with hard Game Boards & well done art work depicting the interior of the Temple/Pyramid.The art work carries over to
the cards & various tokens.The Sculps are on par to FFP Fortune & Glory ones both in detail & scale.

Both Games also include plastic scenery representing major traps & share a common theme & mechanics. Basically it's
search the Temple/Pyramid to find treasure while avoiding traps. The goal is to get your Adventure out alive with
the most treasure( some of which value is only determined when the Adventure exits the Board) before the guardian
spirits seal the exit & everyone dies.The Players don't really interact with one another ,it's more or less every
Adventure for him/herself although it is possible in the Temple Game to sabotage the way out to the only exit.

The share a common Load Level mechanic( Game Card) which regulates how much treasure they can carry & the # of Actions they can perform
thus you could easily port Adventures from one Game to the other.The Games do have there differences; The Temple of Chac
is a little more complicated & features physical traps (3 of which are plastic scenery) that kill an Adventurer outright .
Whereas the Pyramid of Horus has animal type traps & 1 plastic scenery type. In the Temple Game you start with 1 Adventurer
per player & can bring in a 2nd if the 1st is killed. In the Pyramid you get 1 Adventurer but most of the traps just
cause wounds.

I got the Games as they fitted right into the Fortune & Glory 30's pulp world( you could even use the F&G figs as Adventurers
by simply giving the F&G figs a Adventurers Game Card) ; the Games are player vs Player but as I play mostly solo it's
easy to add co-op home rules.
This game sounds pretty cool actually. Although I have nothing to compare it with as I don't own F&G yet. That's something I intend to remedy after I finish this year's AToE project (I intend to finish it this year).

Thanks for the write up OD. Sounds like you had an enjoyable game.
Reference URL's