TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: To buy, or not to buy, that is the question.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all, I'm thinking of picking up this game but I would like to hear your thoughts rather than judging things based on ratings or video reviews.

First of all, the genre sounds cool to me, so I'm already interested from that standpoint.

I already own everything for LNoE and AToE and I like the game mechanics for both. I'm guessing FanG has similarities?

My main concern (as I'm a completionist) is getting hold of all available expansion.

Anyway, please share any thoughts/advice you may have.

Cheers all! From sunny EnglandZombie17
I love F&G it has a lot more going on than LNoE or AtoE but like AToE it has a Competitive/Co-OP/Team & Solo Mode.
Basically it's 1930's Pulp ,your treasure Hunters are traveling the world to collect Artifacts that they can sell for Fortune trying to
keep ahead of the AI Nazis or Mob (base Game) or the Crimson Hand (expansion) .In their travels they have Encounters
which can turn into Cliffhangers based on Skill Tests.

Except for the Treasure Hunters figs each having their unique stats there's not much in common with LNoE.

The Frog has the Expansions on sale but the base game is Out of Stock & I can't find it on any of the US online stores.

OD
So if your going for it & find a place that has the Base Game Go for It.
(06-07-2021 09:41 PM)Old Dwarf Wrote: [ -> ]I love F&G it has a lot more going on than LNoE or AtoE but like AToE it has a Competitive/Co-OP/Team & Solo Mode.
Basically it's 1930's Pulp ,your treasure Hunters are traveling the world to collect Artifacts that they can sell for Fortune trying to
keep ahead of the AI Nazis or Mob (base Game) or the Crimson Hand (expansion) .In their travels they have Encounters
which can turn into Cliffhangers based on Skill Tests.

Except for the Treasure Hunters figs each having their unique stats there's not much in common with LNoE.

The Frog has the Expansions on sale but the base game is Out of Stock & I can't find it on any of the US online stores.

OD
So if your going for it & find a place that has the Base Game Go for It.

Thanks for the prompt response OD. I've had a look on the UK stores and it's currently unavailable everywhere. I might email FFP and ask if a reprint is on the way. I'm guessing with the long awaited expansions coming out, they'd reprint the base game?

If anyone in the UK knows where I can pick up a copy please let me knowWatchmen02
I've looked all over the the Web & F&G is out of stock all over.US Ebay has several copies but there in the
$300-$400 range .The Game is huge so shipping would be a bear as well.

A reprint would seem logical when the 2 new Expansions are released (now July is the estimated date but
FFP has been kicking them down the road for a couple of years so who knows).

I hate it when I get interested in a Game only to find that it's no longer available or it's secondary market price
has been driven through the roof. The 2 Expansions that were released seem to be in good supply so you would
think FFP would want to get the base game out.

OD
Thanks for taking a look around OD. Fingers crossed for this one. If I could have found it, I would have bought it. I really hope they reprint it.

This will be a perfect project for me after I finish AToE.
I managed to snag a copy on a certain internet action site. I got it for £102 ($135.21)
That includes shipping. The tokens haven't even been punched so I don't think it's ever been played. I bought it for my wife for Christmas so that's my Christmas shopping sorted.

I'm looking forward to playing it and picking up the expansions.
Congrats!............................................. Damn Brilliant I never thought of getting my wife a Game for Christmas.
I mean it's fool proof ... like how could she object to a present for her. I going to make sure it's a really
big Christmas for her.

PS that's a great price with shipping that's about what the Game cost when it came out.

OD
That is always a win win if you can snag something you like for the wife. Well done.
The frogs mentioned in the last few streams I watched that FanG was on the reprint list but they were pretty fully occupied by fulfillment of the last SoB project right now. The just reprinted the Coast a while back, and then the SoB Otherworld Expansion, Trederra came back, and the Caverns of Cynder. All were out of print for quite a while so they're working through the list a little at a time from the sound of it. FanG ran out of copies followed shortly thereafter by the aToE expansion Something Wicked. But with the state of shipping world wide and the big project in the middle of fulfillment, I wouldn't count on a big restock soon, so I'm happy to hear you were able to pick up an unpunched copy for a reasonable cost.

As far as my thoughts on the game, I think it's good. It builds on the aToE system and is a fun rollicking time if you lean into the theme. I'm honestly quite mystified there aren't more world traveling relic hunting adventure games out there. I originally lost my copy in a move and didn't bother picking it up again, but got a copy second hand last year to play with my son after he showed interest in playing A Touch of Evil. It turned out to be a good choice, as while A Touch of Evil is still my favorite game, my son prefers Fortune and Glory. I think my only real critique of the game is how the roll to move system from aToE doesn't really mesh well with the board size. The roll to move system doesn't particularly bother me in aToE because the board is quite small and even if you add expansion boards, the shortcuts keep things compact. The Roll to move system on a world map can result in miserable games if you don't police yourself and either use the optional move system from the rule book, or just "roll with it" when you have a really unlucky night.
You've got to circle back around and let us know what you thought soon!
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's