TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: 2022 Rankings, Collection, and Games Waiting in the Wings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey Zombies and Zombie Slayers! Figured since we all share overlapping gaming interests, with Flying Frog games at the center of a convenient Venn diagram for us all, it might be fun to compare what our favorite games are and what we're looking forward to. I don't know about you, but I've always enjoyed a good ranking. Watchmen02

Top 20 favorite Thematic game
I own everything except AH2E, which I just play at a friend's house because he has the entire collection and it's out of print and hard to find.
  1. A Touch of Evil - Still number 1.
  2. Robinson Crusoe - Closest a game has ever come to replicating the points that made aToE my #1.
  3. Cthulu Death May Die - Probably the best designed game on this list.
  4. Project Elite - Video game on the table
  5. Arkham Horror 3E - Codex provides best story moments balanced with gameplay I've encountered.
  6. Marvel United - Perfect 30 minute game. Bought it for my kids, but it's great.
  7. Deep Madness - DM & Nemesis were both games I didn't think I'd like, but the horror themes got me! They got me good!
  8. Nemesis - Fun even when you lose.
  9. Zombicide Black Plague - Better systems exist, but this is very simple and accessible in an attractive package.
  10. Arkham Horror 2E - Still excellent and fun despite my love of 3E.
  11. Arena: The Contest - Easier to table than D&D
  12. Middara - Very similar to why I enjoy SoB, but with quality of life improvements like numbered tiles...
  13. Shadows of Brimstone - Such a good game, but bloody difficult to organize.
  14. Zombicide Invader - Great actually.
  15. Fireteam Zero (Underrated Out of Print gem, set in Weird WWII)
  16. Eldritch Horror - Seriously Flawed Masterpiece
  17. Last Night on Earth - Ah. Game design has moved forward so much, yet I am still fond of my first board game.
  18. Zombicide 2E - Modern city streets is a classic zombie setting you can't experience in LNoE.
  19. Twisted Fables - For being a Deck builder it kept me engaged for a while, but even Dark Gothic didn't hold my attention, so I think Deck Building as a primary mechanic just isn't my thing. Not sure I'm keeping this one, but it's really cool.
  20. Fortune and Glory - My least favorite of the Flying Frog games I still own. Fun, but I'd almost always rather play A Touch of Evil.

Top 7 non-adventure/genre related games
If you were interested in what other type of games I get up to playing... These are generally less present in my collection. I don't even have a full 10 to share
  1. Carcassonne - Something about tile laying is very satisfying.
  2. Wingspan - Good Art gets me everytime
  3. Caverna - hoarding rubies is fun
  4. Merchants of the Dark Road - Kind of adjacent to my normal type of theme games, but a lot of Euro mechanics here. I hated my first game but then we played again, and everything clicked, and it stuck around.
  5. Calico - Good art again... also just really satisfying puzzle
  6. Sagrada - Am I sucker for pretty dice and pretty themes? Maaaaybe...
  7. Smash Up - A Hold over from earlier gaming days, but integrating fun themes with fun card play.

Top 3 Waiting to be played
  • Vagrantsong - Demoed recently. Very interested in trying again. May buy. It was just that good.
  • Lost Ruins of Arnak - Taking yet another shot at that Indiana Jones theme we love in Fortune and Glory.
  • Scythe - Gotta be honest; The art suckered me into buying this, but I still haven't played it and it's been almost 2 years now...

Unreleased Kickstarters I'm looking forward to
  • Anastyr - A game set in Pre-flood, Atlantean/Bronze age Sword and Sorcery world designed by one of my favorite board game artists, Paolo Parente?! And it has quick, combo focused combat and side scrolling inspired mechanics?! A friend backed this one but I probably would have myself if he hadn't been the one to point it out to me.
  • ISS Vanguard - Not sure how many of you are also Mass Effect or Star Trek fans, but this has me intrigued.
  • Brimstone Adventures - Begrudgingly still excited to play Vikings and Cursed Eternals in Shadows of Brimstone. <3
  • Resident Evil - Another Zombie game Watchmen02 They got me
  • Primal - This looks epic. I really like the monster design.
Favorite Thematic Games (in no order-I find it hard to judge)

Lovecraft Mythos:

Cthulhu: Death May Die
Arkham Horror #3
Mansion of Madness#1

Midnight (a RP Game I converted the Setting for several COMON Games)*

z.Black Plague
zGreen Horde
Massive Darkness#1

Nightside (Simon Green's Books converted Setting for other COMON Games)*

SMOG:Rise of the Morlach
On Her Majesties Service

Gears of War(Setting I converted COMON Alien Game )*

Gears of War(FFG)
zDarkside
zBlack Ops (Expansion)

*COMON makes some Great Games but Themewise they are rather thin
so I've placed them in various Game Worlds to provide some depth/background.

Other Adventure Type Games

Middle Earth Quest #1(FFG)
World of Warcraft Adventure Game(FFG)
World of Warcraft:Wrath of the Lich King(Blizzard)

FFP Games

A Touch of Evil
Fortune & Glory
Shadow of Brimstone

GW Games

Bladeborn
Crypt Hunter
Stormvault

Special Mention

Court of the Dead Mourners Call
Runebound:Midnight Expansion
Pandemic: Cthulhu

OD
I love how you overlay cool themes on these games. Makes me want to reread the nightside books and also look out for a copy of Gears of War for the minis. Despite having tinkered with making custom content for LNoE, I never got into game mods in subsequent games. I should probably consider doing that again. It sounds like a lot of fun.

I really liked the World of Warcraft ffg game, but it’s super out of print and difficult to acquire these days. Someone in my game group used to have a copy but we hadn’t played it in years and they sold it when the price went up.

I skipped Massive Darkness as I couldn’t afford it at the time, and having heard what a great game it is since it came out I’m a little sad I passed.
Reference URL's