TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Are several promo cards impossible to get?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
In the space of the last two weeks, I heard about LNoE for the first time, read the rulebook online, bought the game on Amazon, played 8 games (in 2 days), and read nearly all of the LNoE content on the Flying Frog official Wiki. I've clearly become a little obsessed.

I plan to get all of the expansions for the game, as they all seem to add some depth of options. I've noticed that if I buy from the Flying Frog official website, I can get promo cards with the purchase of the expansions, in exchange for paying a little more than Amazon's asking price. This seems to me like it could be fairly reasonable, as the game's developers will probably get a little extra profit. I'd like to support them for making a great game.

Here's the issue, though: from what I understand, there are a number of promo cards that are out of print now. As such, it seems virtually impossible that I can get all of the cards, since I'm only now attempting to acquire them, years into the game's life cycle. It is also my understanding that some (most?) of the promo cards are simply copies of regular LNoE and expansion cards, sporting alternate artwork. If they are part of a set, though, I'd like to pick them up. More importantly, I really would like the unique promo cards that aren't simply re-skins of the cards I already own (or will own when I get all of the expansions). But it looks like there's no way to get them.

If I've missed my opportunity to acquire the promo cards simply because I was late learning about a fairly niche board game, then, well, I'm awfully bummed out. There doesn't seem to be a significant after market for LNoE promo cards on Ebay. Even for the Promo cards that remain in print, it looks like on Flying Frog's webstore you get only 2 promo cards for each game item that you buy. The $40 Growing Hunger expansion only comes with 2 promo cards, and from what I understand, the buyer doesn't get to pick them. Perhaps we are expected to buy multiple copies of the expansions in the chance of getting the elusive card that we want.

Are there any avenues that I can take at this point to get all of the promos (short of stalking forum members and offering to overpay for their copies that might be damaged--a course of action I refuse to take)? Again, I don't mind supporting the developers, but if they've left me no avenue at this point to complete my LNoE game, I am (to say the least) considerably less eager to try.
Promo cards are a problem. I kind of wish they wouldn't be done (except maybe alternate art reprints) for just this reason. The ones that came with the CD were pretty nice, for instance.
Here's the scoop on the promo cards. I'm writing this because I know exactly where you're coming from. Early on with LNOE I missed two of them (which I've since acquired) and spent a few long nights searching the internet to no avail. I'm a collector -- when I invest in something I like to have all of it, whether or not the cards are "only" alternate image.

The truth is, the alternate image cards are fully playable game cards which can drastically change the game. My favourite example is the second chainsaw -- having two is awesome.

I've discussed this extensively over on BGG and got torn to shreds for it. You're not allowed to have an opinion over there and that's really the main reason that I don't contribute to it anymore. However, there are some good resources over there for the promo card collector. If you feel like reading my original feelings on promo cards here's the link (and remember, it was written in 2007):

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2623...rds/page/1

There are now forty promos, numbered 001 to 040. Here's a good list of all the cards, and where they came from:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1941297

What's nice about the above post is that it shows you where the promo cards are from. Unfortunately, Flying Frog used a poor definition of "promo" and included the cards from all of the web supplements (available through their webstore), as well as the alt-artwork cards under the banner of "promo." The good news is that all of the "original" promo cards (as opposed to the alt-artwork promos) are available on their webstore to buy in the form of the web supplements/special edition CD. The bad news is that once you've missed one of their limited-time alt-artwork promos available with the game packs when they were new, you're basically out of luck. I haven't really ever seen them put promos back up once they've been taken down. The other bit of bad news is that not all of the web supplements are available at all times.

You thought in your original post that promo cards were kinda luck-of-the-draw, but they do give out specific cards with specific items.

Last, here's a link from yours truly with a picture of all forty cards:

http://thezombiegame.com/forums/all-20-p...t-819.html

I feel your pain, man. And the promo cards aren't the only problem. Don't get me started on the exclusive limited-time-only red Grave Weapons miniatures.
So, what would I need to get in order to make sure I have at least all the original cards? I can deal with no extra chainsaw and such, but want to ensure I eventually have every original card.
petrieslast Wrote:So, what would I need to get in order to make sure I have at least all the original cards? I can deal with no extra chainsaw and such, but want to ensure I eventually have every original card.

As above, this link shows which cards came with what:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1941297

The cards which say "alternate artwork" beside them are the ones which are already in the game and are duplicates, just with a different picture. The other cards all come with web suppliments or the CD, and the link will show you which you need.
I really,really,really feel your pain!!!
I've been playing for a few years now.
I never had access to any conventions that they were handed out at so out of luck.
If there are any extra cards I am in need of #'s 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,17,18,22,23,24,28,29,31,34,35!!!
If anybody has any...LOL
fallensaviour Wrote:I really,really,really feel your pain!!!
I never had access to any conventions that they were handed out at so out of luck.
If there are any extra cards I am in need of #'s 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,17,18,22,23,24,28,29,31,34,35!!!
If anybody has any...LOL

Actually, I've never been to a convention and I've got them all. They've released all of their alt-art promos as extras when buying games on the webstore, kinda as a "thank-you." However, most of them are limited-time-only.
theconcerned Wrote:I've discussed this extensively over on BGG and got torn to shreds for it.

You sure did. I read the whole thread. At least I now understand the situation better.

I think I'll stay away from the alternate image cards, for now. Looking at the card lists for the expansions and supplements, I see that they are all designed with some kind of balance in mind. Even if you manage to snag a promo alternate artwork version of the chainsaw, I don't think that the game is meant to be played with two chainsaws in the draw deck. The chance of two godly weapons like that in play at once can break the game, and ruin the fun for the zombie team, and the challenge for the heroes.

If I had both versions of the card, I'd almost always play with only one at a time. Moreover, for fear that one of my friends would damage the rare chainsaw, I'd typically choose to play with the standard, replaceable one. So, with it serving as nothing more than a trophy, owning the rare card would be more of a burden than an asset.

I'll buy the expansions and supplements, and then my game will be complete from a functional standpoint.
fallensaviour Wrote:I really,really,really feel your pain!!!
If anybody has any...LOL

If you really want them, the Special Edition Soundtrack and Zombie Pillage supplement will get you pretty far. You'll still have to get 3-10 on Ebay or something.
Jico Wrote:
theconcerned Wrote:I've discussed this extensively over on BGG and got torn to shreds for it.

You sure did. I read the whole thread. At least I now understand the situation better.

I think I'll stay away from the alternate image cards, for now. Looking at the card lists for the expansions and supplements, I see that they are all designed with some kind of balance in mind. Even if you manage to snag a promo alternate artwork version of the chainsaw, I don't think that the game is meant to be played with two chainsaws in the draw deck. The chance of two godly weapons like that in play at once can break the game, and ruin the fun for the zombie team, and the challenge for the heroes.

If I had both versions of the card, I'd almost always play with only one at a time. Moreover, for fear that one of my friends would damage the rare chainsaw, I'd typically choose to play with the standard, replaceable one. So, with it serving as nothing more than a trophy, owning the rare card would be more of a burden than an asset.

I'll buy the expansions and supplements, and then my game will be complete from a functional standpoint.

Realistically, that's the right attitude because you'd be hard pressed to get the complete set. However, one thing that Flying Frog did do right is that all non-alternate promo cards can be purchased -- there are no original cards that can't be bought. It's just the real collectors that chase the alternate-image promos. Unfortunately, I'm one of those!
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's