TheZombieGame.com Forums
Character Painting Guide Pt1 (Kenny + Rachelle) - Printable Version

+- TheZombieGame.com Forums (http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (/Forum-The-Lounge)
+--- Forum: The Tomb (/Forum-The-Tomb)
+---- Forum: A Brush with Death (/Forum-A-Brush-with-Death)
+---- Thread: Character Painting Guide Pt1 (Kenny + Rachelle) (/Thread-Character-Painting-Guide-Pt1-Kenny-Rachelle)

Pages: 1 2

Character Painting Guide Pt1 (Kenny + Rachelle) - samuraitrev - 11-29-2010 09:41 PM

To view my You Tube Painting guides follow this link http://www.youtube.com/user/samuraitrev1

Hi Sam here! Ok here's a painting guide for some of LNOE's heroes but the same principles apply to all the figures. If anyboby wants me to do a zombie guide let me knowWatchmen02 The timing applies for all models for one model halve it.

Essentials: Decent brush, Basic Paints (There are many brands, take your pick I use GW)

Luxuries : Different brush grades small to large, Spray Undercoat, Spray Varnish matt or gloss, pva glue, sand(2 different grades), craft knife, small file set flat and round, Palette a plastic tub or tile is fine.

[attachment=132]
Stage 1: (Skip this stage if you've got the gear) You need a desk, feel free to cut it to pieces Insane21 and pour paint all over it. I've been using it nearly twenty years. You need tools a DECENT brush, without it it's like trying to walk with a nail in your boot. All you need is patience and a good brush. Time is not a problem, I work full time and have a few month old kid. Bad eyes? get some new glasses. Shaking hands? cut down on the booze!Watchmen02 Right so no excuses let's get painting!!

Stage 2 (2 mins) : (skip this stage if you're using metal figures) BATH those mothers!! Warm water and a small amount of soap/detergent They've sometimes got a fine layer of grease or oil on 'em from production and can effect how the paint is applied plus your models may feel 'sticky' even after painted.

[attachment=133]
Stage 3 (8mins) : REMOVE those unsightly mould lines. Unless you know anyone with big lines running over thier faces and arms, they are pretty ugly and unrealistic.

[attachment=134]
Stage 4 (Seconds) : SUPPORT. use a piece of plastic, or card, an old paint pot, (or a wine cork for a single model). Anything where you can support your models without rubbing your hands all over them. If you hold your model as you're painting it (even the base) you are removing paint. Trust me.

[attachment=135]
Stage 5 (5 mins.) : UNDERCOAT (This includes drying time) It's your call if you use black or white. Both have thier pros and cons. I use both. Make sure you have an even coat. Two thin coats is better than one thick one.

[attachment=136]
Stage 6 (1Hr 25 mins.) : 8 BASIC COLOURS. Take your sweet time, any mistakes cover over, neatness is the key here. I use mainly GW foundation paints at this stage. They will cover about anything in one coat even red or yellows over a black undercoat.
If you haven't got these exact colours it makes no difference. Use whatever equivalent colours you have. The key is technique here.

Kenny:- Skin:Tallarn Flesh, Hair:Desert Yellow, Shirt:Dheneb Stone, Trousers:Fenris Grey, Apron:Astronomican Grey, Cans:Boltgun Metal.

Rachelle:-Skin:Calthan Brown, Hair and gun stock:Scorched Brown, Shirt:Dheneb Stone, Body Armour and Trousers:Fenris Grey, Shotgun:Boltgun Metal.

I'm sure you painted a lot quicker than me I'm more of a dead tortoise than a hare. You should now be holding a basically painted figure or figures. To save time in future try painting a few at once. I find about 6 to be about right. The model you are holding would look fine on the tabletop, but you don't want to leave it there Do you? I thought not let's up our game and move on to advanced techniques in Pt 2. http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Thread-Character-Painting-Guide-Part-2

Comment/Questions are always welcome Watchmen02

RE: Character Painting Guide Pt1 - Emp - 11-29-2010 10:27 PM

Dude this is awesome.
What numbers of brushes do you use?

RE: Character Painting Guide Pt1 - samuraitrev - 11-29-2010 11:25 PM

(11-29-2010 10:27 PM)Emp Wrote:  Dude this is awesome.
What numbers of brushes do you use?
Thank you Emp
I use games workshop brushes Standard and Fine detail. I couldn't say for certain what the equivalent 0 size brushes would suit for a guess I'd say 000 and an 0.

RE: Character Painting Guide Pt1 - serpex - 12-06-2010 10:49 PM

OMG, thx for the guide ^^

I've never painted a miniature and i wanted to learn how to do it. Watchmen02

RE: Character Painting Guide Pt1 - pyrrhus - 12-08-2010 08:54 AM

Great stuff! Zombie17

RE: Character Painting Guide Pt1 - sci teacher - 01-10-2011 02:51 AM

When you are removing the flash/ mold lines, do you use mini files? I just want to make sure I don't mess up the surface too much.

RE: Character Painting Guide Pt1 - samuraitrev - 01-10-2011 03:45 PM

(01-10-2011 02:51 AM)sci teacher Wrote:  When you are removing the flash/ mold lines, do you use mini files? I just want to make sure I don't mess up the surface too much.

Yeah I use mini flat and a round files and also a craft/hobby knife. A pair of clippers are useful for metal models.

[attachment=189]

The files and clippers are from Games Workshop. The craft knife I bought from a hobby store probably 15 years ago so I don't recall. Any of these items you should be able to pick up cheap from any hobby store.
Hope this helpsWatchmen02

RE: Character Painting Guide Pt1 - sci teacher - 01-11-2011 12:32 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I've played battletech for years, so I am used to filing metal minis down. (Have a 40k army that has never been completed as well =P) I also have a lot of the tools you suggest as well.

(01-10-2011 03:45 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  
(01-10-2011 02:51 AM)sci teacher Wrote:  When you are removing the flash/ mold lines, do you use mini files? I just want to make sure I don't mess up the surface too much.

Yeah I use mini flat and a round files and also a craft/hobby knife. A pair of clippers are useful for metal models.

The files and clippers are from Games Workshop. The craft knife I bought from a hobby store probably 15 years ago so I don't recall. Any of these items you should be able to pick up cheap from any hobby store.
Hope this helpsWatchmen02

RE: Character Painting Guide Pt1 - Wade - 01-11-2011 09:57 PM

Are you using anything special for the base coat?
I've painted small (1:34 scale) plastic models before, and I've always just used the old Testors paints. You think they would be adequet for the LNOE type plastics?

RE: Character Painting Guide Pt1 - samuraitrev - 01-12-2011 05:32 AM

(01-11-2011 09:57 PM)Wade Wrote:  Are you using anything special for the base coat?
I've painted small (1:34 scale) plastic models before, and I've always just used the old Testors paints. You think they would be adequet for the LNOE type plastics?

Hi Wade
All my paints are Games Workshop Acrilic paints. Most of the base coats are Foundations paints which have thicker pigmentation than normal paints and cover even a black undercoat in one coat. I have never used Testors paints myself but if the coverage was good on your 1:34 models then they should be alright to use on the LNOE figures.
Happy Painting and let me know how you get onWatchmen02