TheZombieGame.com Forums
Amanda's Hide ability - Printable Version

+- TheZombieGame.com Forums (http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Last Night on Earth (/Forum-Last-Night-on-Earth)
+--- Forum: LNoE Rules? (/Forum-LNoE-Rules)
+--- Thread: Amanda's Hide ability (/Thread-Amanda-s-Hide-ability)

Pages: 1 2

Amanda's Hide ability - munkymuddface - 02-08-2011 07:23 PM

Quote:Hide - May cancel any fight she is in on the roll of 4+ (before Fight Dice are rolled).

I recently played a game where Amanda found herself in a really bad position where she ended up having to fight multiple zeds multiple turns in a row. For the purpose of ease, the way we played the Hide ability is that I rolled to hide from all of them at the same time. For example, one of the turns she had to fight 7 zeds, so I rolled 7d6, and proceeded with fights as normal for every die roll 3 or less. This seemed to work out well, and the ZP was ok with it.

Can anyone think of any reason why this method of playing the Hide ability would not work?

RE: Amanda's Hide ability - zombie67 - 02-08-2011 07:42 PM

The only difference we make is that we roll 1D6 for each zombie and then if she fails we resolve the fight, then we roll to hide for the next zombie and so on.

No difference as such, just the way we like to play it.

RE: Amanda's Hide ability - munkymuddface - 02-08-2011 07:59 PM

(02-08-2011 07:42 PM)zombie67 Wrote:  The only difference we make is that we roll 1D6 for each zombie and then if she fails we resolve the fight, then we roll to hide for the next zombie and so on.

Yeah, that is how I had been playing her. But once we got to this scenario where she was facing so many zombies, the ZP asked "You wanna just roll to hide for all of them to see how many she actually fights?" Seemed good, so we ran with it. It was also late in the game (4 turns let), she was my last Hero, and there was no way that I could win, so we were just speeding it up to get it over...

RE: Amanda's Hide ability - thegamelord - 02-09-2011 12:14 AM

Like zombie67, I usually roll for each zombie first then resolve fights after

RE: Amanda's Hide ability - Criesto - 02-10-2011 03:57 AM

(02-08-2011 07:42 PM)zombie67 Wrote:  The only difference we make is that we roll 1D6 for each zombie and then if she fails we resolve the fight, then we roll to hide for the next zombie and so on.

No difference as such, just the way we like to play it.

The only reason I can see this way being "better" is that it creates more suspense, which is what makes the game great for me. In terms of actual game-play though, the only way I could see it making a difference is if the hero had an event that they might play on Amanda, but only if she has to fight X number of zeds. Knowing how many you'll fight before the actual fight phase would then cause you to either play it, or not play it while not knowing how many fights you'll have makes it more of a "cross-your-fingers" kind of moment.

RE: Amanda's Hide ability - Gothicincarnation - 02-10-2011 06:18 AM

I'd have to say rolling for each separately would have to be the way to go. Simply because of various card effects, all at once can cause a "Meta-game" situation that could cause certain cards to be played that might not be played if the total numbers were not known before hand.

For example, if you know she WILL fight 4 zombies, you might hold off a heal card until it is positively needed, whereas you might play that card earlier if you don't know how many she will have to fight.

It could also be a problem in some Scenarios too. Any scenario requiring a number of zombies to be killed could be seriously be affected by knowing how many can be avoided in advance.

I'd personally have to rule that you should roll and resolve each fight separately. Though all at once would speed things up a bit, you wouldn't know which die was for which fight in order. If a card comes out that says that she can escape and move X spaces if she successfully hides x times in a row... or anything similar about killing or moving if X condition is met... could be badly effected by doing this.

RE: Amanda's Hide ability - mistrunner - 02-10-2011 06:51 AM

I have to agree with Gothic on This one. Amanda is one of My Favorite Characters and her Hide has saved me more than once and when I have tried it the xd6 way it always seemed that the game just lost much of the feeling and the ZP and I decided that the problem with the xd6 Method was the card planning on both sides.

RE: Amanda's Hide ability - munkymuddface - 02-10-2011 05:55 PM

Thanks for chiming in everyone. I agree with the comments about mood and meta gaming. This was the first time that I had played her that way, but it came about due to circumastance.

I was playing the Burn Em' Out scenario against a buddy who is undefeated against me as the zombies. With the exception of Defend the Manor, he had won every game by Hero kills rather than me running out of time.
It was late in the game and my last real hope at burning out a third pit was lost: a do or die situation: Kenny with one wound and the jumper cables, if he survived 3 attacks, he would have had the time and space to get that last pit. So Kenny bites it, and I am left with Amanda in the freezer, surrounded by zombies, with no explosives, nowhere near a pit (she had just burned up the one in the freezer), and 4 turns left. I should have conceded, but I am stubborn, and made the ZP chase Amanda. With one wound, she ended up surviving around 15 zombie attacks between Hiding and a Welding Torch that wouldn't break, and made it to the end of the Sun Track. My buddy is competitive enough that even though he won, he was frustrated that he did not get a TPK. Small victory for me. Watchmen02

RE: Amanda's Hide ability - mqstout - 02-10-2011 07:15 PM

If there were a ton to hide from, I'd roll them all at once for convenience as you did. Expedience is more important than the other reasons not to.

RE: Amanda's Hide ability - Orguss - 02-10-2011 08:06 PM

I agree with stout. I don't mind metagaming if it means the difference between a second game for the day or not.