TheZombieGame.com Forums
Forklift - Printable Version

+- TheZombieGame.com Forums (http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Last Night on Earth (/Forum-Last-Night-on-Earth)
+--- Forum: LNoE Variants (/Forum-LNoE-Variants)
+--- Thread: Forklift (/Thread-Forklift)

Pages: 1 2 3

Forklift - Mechanik - 06-06-2011 08:42 PM

So, one of the things I have been mulling over is a way to somehow use the forklift token. Has anyone been doing this yet?

One thing I came up with is that since it seems to be "zombie proofed," perhaps it could be driven around the centre squares of the board to ram zombies into oblivion. Perhaps give it a limited number of gas counters, and a hero could spend a gas counter to move the forklift around the centre squares, killing any zombies it runs into. The forklift also could have wound levels... once it takes a certain number of wounds, it's broken, but you maybe could discard Jeb The Grease Monkey to fix it. Any hero inside the forklift, so long as it was still functional, could not participate in fights, but could still make ranged attacks by shooting out of the vision slits in the armour, possibly at a -1 penalty to allow for the difficulty of hitting anything whilst aiming out of such a small slit.

The hard part has been trying to somehow think of a scenario surrounding the forklift. Getting the gas/keys to drive it out of town is basically the same as "Escape In The Truck" so I don't want to do that. I thought of maybe having a fifth hero in it that will take the other heroes out of town for a price, so they have to search the town for the money, or get it out of the safe, or something. Other than that, maybe they could have to ferry supplies to it?

Thoughts/ideas?

RE: Forklift - colormage1 - 06-06-2011 10:40 PM

How about this:

As many boards with outside Spawns (if there aren't enough, put a Spawn marker on the outside board, Hero's choice).

The forklift starts in the middle the 4 toxic cans are around it. The keys turn on the forklift; once it's on, it stays on. Gas gives the forklift five points; a point can be used to move a space and to drop or pick up a toxic can. Any zombies on a square with the forklift are removed from the board.

Heroes must use the forklift to transport the cans onto the spawning pits, then shoot or explode the canisters making the pit invalid.

This is the initial idea. (Just thought this up!) The forklift may need to get more points per gas, but I don't know. I like the idea of the heroes running to the forklift, filling it up, driving it, it stopping, running to find more gas, and so on. I think it makes the game really hectic and awesome. But again, I don't know! >>

RE: Forklift - Mechanik - 06-07-2011 03:49 AM

(06-06-2011 10:40 PM)colormage1 Wrote:  How about this:

As many boards with outside Spawns (if there aren't enough, put a Spawn marker on the outside board, Hero's choice).

The forklift starts in the middle the 4 toxic cans are around it. The keys turn on the forklift; once it's on, it stays on. Gas gives the forklift five points; a point can be used to move a space and to drop or pick up a toxic can. Any zombies on a square with the forklift are removed from the board.

Heroes must use the forklift to transport the cans onto the spawning pits, then shoot or explode the canisters making the pit invalid.

This is the initial idea. (Just thought this up!) The forklift may need to get more points per gas, but I don't know. I like the idea of the heroes running to the forklift, filling it up, driving it, it stopping, running to find more gas, and so on. I think it makes the game really hectic and awesome. But again, I don't know! >>

Interesting ideas! Yeah I don't know why I never thought about moving things with the forklift. Forklifts are made to move things... duh! I guess I fixated on it being all armoured up.

The movement the fuel gives might or might not need tweaking. The problem I foresee is 5 points is about enough to deliver one drum. That means you're probably going to have to fill up four times. There are only 2 Gasoline cards in the main game, and another 1 in Growing Hunger. You are definitely going to have to do some heavy duty searching in order to get all the gas you need, and will have to get some back out of the discard to do it. If the Gas Station is in play, it's much more doable, but it sounds tough. Then again, it's no worse than "Burn Em Out," right?

The bigger problem though is that if you can only move one space at a time, and it takes 1 turn to pick up a drum, then each trip probably takes about 5 turns. That means you are looking at about a 20 turn scenario if the Heroes pull it off flawlessly and keep the thing constantly filled up enough to move (incidentally, I think it ought to take a turn to refill it, during which it can't move). Probably not attainable. Maybe make it three drums instead of four? Is that even realistic? Maybe it should be two?

I'll give it some more thought. I think we have the seeds of some good ideas here.

RE: Forklift - Mr. ONEarm - 06-07-2011 03:12 PM

I am really new at making scnerioes but maybe the road out of town is blocked by the truck and you have to get the keys and gas then drive the fork lift over to the car to move it... I dunno that's all I got ATM

RE: Forklift - Mechanik - 06-07-2011 03:20 PM

(06-07-2011 03:12 PM)Mr. ONEarm Wrote:  I am really new at making scnerioes but maybe the road out of town is blocked by the truck and you have to get the keys and gas then drive the fork lift over to the car to move it... I dunno that's all I got ATM

That's not a bad idea either.

Or if you're playing with Survival of The Fittest, the town's inhabitants barricaded the road out of town to try to stop the zombie hordes, but it was ineffective. You need to remove the barricade in order to take the truck out of town.

This gives me another idea. "Fortify The Safehouse." Place the barricade markers in the Junk Yard. Roll a random building. You must use the forklift to move barricade markers to each wall of that building. The win condition for the Heroes is to have functional barricades on each wall of the building, with at least two heroes inside it, and also with no zombies inside, before the time runs out.

RE: Forklift - colormage1 - 06-08-2011 12:51 AM

Oh, see. Here's what I get when I don't explain everything!

I was thinking that putting gas in the forklift automatically moved it five spaces. I definitely wouldn't make it five turns.

RE: Forklift - Emp - 06-08-2011 09:14 AM

Great ideas here.

How about adding "damage" to the forklift. Or maybe "overrun".

Damage: Forklift gets 5 wounds. A zombie can "wound" the forklift by getting on it and rolling 5+ on it's attack dice in the "fight heroes" fase.

Overrun: The forklift is overrun when it has 8 or more zombies on it.

That way the heroes will need to defend the forklift and not just abandon it.

RE: Forklift - Mechanik - 06-08-2011 10:12 PM

(06-08-2011 09:14 AM)Emp Wrote:  Great ideas here.

How about adding "damage" to the forklift. Or maybe "overrun".

Damage: Forklift gets 5 wounds. A zombie can "wound" the forklift by getting on it and rolling 5+ on it's attack dice in the "fight heroes" fase.

Overrun: The forklift is overrun when it has 8 or more zombies on it.

That way the heroes will need to defend the forklift and not just abandon it.

Yeah I agree that I would want the Heroes to have to defend the forklift. I like these ideas you have BTW. Five seems a good number of Wounds.

The more I think about it, the more I worry that having to gas up the forklift or get the keys to start it adds too much time to the scenario. If you look at Escape In The Truck, it's already 15 turns, and I find it's hard enough to complete on its own, let alone with adding extra objectives like carrying stuff around in the forklift, and that's only with having to find one gasoline to fill the truck with instead of running out of gas mid game and having to get more. I think it makes more sense to have the forklift powered up at all times, but have it move relatively slowly and be vulnerable.

What do you think of having it move d6 spaces when unloaded, and d3 spaces when loaded?

RE: Forklift - Magravan - 06-09-2011 01:37 AM

I think that the trick is to find out how you want the game to play... Once you have that, you've got a forklift that could maybe kill on a 3+ for any square that it enters (otherwise the zombies manage to get enough of them out of the way to still be a viable threat) I think you'd almost have to give Zombies Autospawn and 21 zombies...

My gut says that you're going to need a scenario situation where the heros can't afford to hole up, because one of the only ways that the zombies can bust a well bunkered group is to swarm in a large group... The gas seems too dependent on the gas station or crazy luck... I would think that you'd either make the gas station a required part of the game with Well Stocked Gas Station... Or at least Gas as a Scenario Search objective... I think that going out of gas with the forklift on a 1 or 2 would be better mechanic if they don't have a nigh-endless supply of gas to run it, otherwise it'll be a case of whether or not it's even worth the trouble to bother with it.

So my thoughts are that Zombies get Autospawn and 21 zombies, Forklift starts 1 tank of gas, goes out of gas on a 1 (or 1 and 2)... At that point, if it balances out reasonably, you could have it that the heroes have to find certain counters which count as stockpiles that they have to bring back to their safehouse, or they have to bring certain things to a certain building to blow it up... I think that a few games just testing to see how hard the heroes find any objective will give you a better idea whether you want to make it easier or harder on them, and can help you determine what the best 'final scenario' would look like.

RE: Forklift - Emp - 06-09-2011 07:23 AM

Searching for the gas would indeed slow the game down.
Unless you take out all the gas cards and put them in a separate pile with 10 cards (like in the mission with the mansion from SOTF pack)
Heroes can search that pile if they are in certain places wich are on the board that could have gas there (stores, farm, gas station, police station, ...)

Good idea on rolling for "kills" with the forklift on the space it enters. What about the space it leaves? Zombies fall of but don't get killed? This could be fun espacialy when the Zombie player has cards wich let his zombies walk extra squares.