TheZombieGame.com Forums
How to apply a smooth layer of paint Samurai style - Printable Version

+- TheZombieGame.com Forums (http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (/Forum-The-Lounge)
+--- Forum: The Tomb (/Forum-The-Tomb)
+---- Forum: A Brush with Death (/Forum-A-Brush-with-Death)
+---- Thread: How to apply a smooth layer of paint Samurai style (/Thread-How-to-apply-a-smooth-layer-of-paint-Samurai-style)

Pages: 1 2

How to apply a smooth layer of paint Samurai style - samuraitrev - 06-25-2011 08:43 PM

Hi fellow painters

I know one of the things that frustrated me for years was I could never get the paint to go on as smooth as stuff I used to see in issues of White Dwalf etc. Mine always looked slapped on obscuring detail at worst. The thing is not many people want to do more than one coat of paint. Unfortunately if you really want a quality finish you have to take the time to apply at least one extra coat.

Now it's not as time consuming as you may think because once you've got your paint mixed with a little water it will stay there for the next coat so you shouldn't have to mix again. (unless you're painting something larger in which case mix as required).

If you try this technique (and experiment) I promise you will get a cleaner finish and a smoother coat. Ok let's get to it eh?

Stage 1

Here's what you'll need from left to right. A pipette and seperate clean water pot. An old brush you're not bothered about, your best brush and a palette or tile.

[attachment=741]

Stage 2

Using your pipette or a loaded brush of water apply one small drip from your seperate clean water pot (about the same amount as a villager begging for mercy tear).

[attachment=742]

Stage 3

Take a loaded blob of paint with your old knackered brush

[attachment=743]

Stage 4

Now stir the paint and water together until you get a uniform colour(no streaks)

[attachment=744]

Stage 5

Now add your mixed paint onto your model using your best brush.
(Note [a] how the end of the brush doesn't have a blob of paint on the end but has ran into the paint brush tip)
(Note how the black still shows through as the paint has been thinned)

[attachment=745]

[b]Stage 6

After fully painting the area required at stage 5 apply another coat

[attachment=746]

All painters have their own methods (some much better than me) but I thought I'd show you how I do my figures.

Hope this helps. Comments/questions/extra tips most welcomeWatchmen02

RE: How to apply a smooth layer of paint Samurai style - Emp - 06-25-2011 09:27 PM

I bow before you.
By looking at it now I just use to much paint compared to the amount of water.
I use one beggars teardrop of water and about the same amount of paint. Now I see the errors of my ways.

RE: How to apply a smooth layer of paint Samurai style - phantomninja - 06-25-2011 11:22 PM

Great tips as always. When I first started I was always using the paints out of the pot and found them clunky. Water and thines does make a drastic difference. Thanks Samurai for showing us a simple yet effective skill in the painting hobby.

RE: How to apply a smooth layer of paint Samurai style - vikinglad - 06-26-2011 02:40 AM

That pic fo stage 5 is soooo helpful. The paint consistency, amount, and positioning on the brush, and the partial coverage and look of the first layer give me a great idea of how i should be layin this down. I will be needing demon teardrops, as i use enamel paints, so I better go start grinding on my axe. Insane02

RE: How to apply a smooth layer of paint Samurai style - samuraitrev - 12-02-2013 01:57 AM

The finished article
[attachment=2490]

RE: How to apply a smooth layer of paint Samurai style - aprillo - 05-08-2014 08:14 AM

Wow that's incredible. they come out so smooth an nicely finished. great trick!

RE: How to apply a smooth layer of paint Samurai style - samuraitrev - 05-08-2014 04:30 PM

(05-08-2014 08:14 AM)aprillo Wrote:  Wow that's incredible. they come out so smooth an nicely finished. great trick!

No worries and I hope it spurs you on to some paintingZombie17

RE: How to apply a smooth layer of paint Samurai style - aprillo - 05-12-2014 06:58 AM

(05-08-2014 04:30 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  No worries and I hope it spurs you on to some paintingZombie17

yeah honestly i think it might. there's a high likelihood that when i find the time i may go ahead and paint those minis!

RE: How to apply a smooth layer of paint Samurai style - Sarge - 05-12-2014 12:16 PM

I have recently stared using a wet pallet, this has been a great help in getting a smooth finish and mixing lighter and darker shades on my figures

RE: How to apply a smooth layer of paint Samurai style - samuraitrev - 05-12-2014 05:21 PM

(05-12-2014 06:58 AM)aprillo Wrote:  
(05-08-2014 04:30 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  No worries and I hope it spurs you on to some paintingZombie17

yeah honestly i think it might. there's a high likelihood that when i find the time i may go ahead and paint those minis!

If you've got any questions fire away and I'll help if I can. It's a great part of the hobby and it helps fill the gaps when waiting for your next gameZombie20

(05-12-2014 12:16 PM)Sarge Wrote:  I have recently stared using a wet pallet, this has been a great help in getting a smooth finish and mixing lighter and darker shades on my figures

I tried that a while back but it didn't really work (for me). I think I've got the balance about right now when I water down my paints. I've heard great things about the technique though.