TheZombieGame.com Forums
I almost bought it.... - Printable Version

+- TheZombieGame.com Forums (http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums)
+-- Forum: A Touch of Evil (/Forum-A-Touch-of-Evil)
+--- Forum: AToE General Discussion (/Forum-AToE-General-Discussion)
+--- Thread: I almost bought it.... (/Thread-I-almost-bought-it)

I almost bought it.... - mental75 - 06-06-2012 02:57 PM

I have been playing LNoE for many months now and have never enjoyed a game (board game, video game, etc.) as much as this. I just recently started looking for something new. I have considered AToE (among others) and even got to the point where I was one click away from purchasing. However, I think I need a little more convincing. So.... convince me! There are only 3 players in my gaming group so I need something that works well with few players. I don't know much about other companies but thus far FFP has not disappointed. Anyway, here is my list of possibilities. Maybe someone can rank them? Your opinion counts!

This is what I have on my wish list.

A Touch Of Evil
Betrayal At House On The Hill
Mansions of Madness
Fortune And Glory

Or anything else you can recommend.

RE: I almost bought it.... - mqstout - 06-06-2012 04:39 PM

How many people do you play with? Do you like full cooperation? Competition? Mix? Do you have a lot of space, or a little? How often do you replay?

RE: I almost bought it.... - mental75 - 06-06-2012 09:04 PM

3-4 players but typically 3. Cooperative or competitive is fine. I'm not interested in something that takes a massive amount of time to set up. LNoE represents the largest amount of time I have ever spent setting up a game (maybe Axis & Allies). My group gets together no more than once every couple of weeks. I just don't want to buy another game that gets played once or twice and then forgotten. We are all ex MTG and AD&D players but we don't want something that requires the time or money investment of those again.

RE: I almost bought it.... - mqstout - 06-06-2012 09:22 PM

* If you don't have Dominion (card game), get it.
* Betrayal (while a good game) might not meet your needs. It doesn't scale well with players, and it's more "light" than your types of players suggested might like.
* Mansions of Madness is a decent game, try it out before you buy it though. It has more limited replay (few scenarios) than the others, but they have a decent (cheap) expansion rate and some scenarios are replayable from choices (but not as replayable as LNOE scenarios).
* ATOE takes a bit longer than LNOE and is a bit more about resource management than LNOE. I find it works best as a competitive game (though there are cooperative rules).
* I don't yet have enough experience with FANG to comment.
* I really enjoy COPE -- it's usually pretty quick so you can get it and something else in.
* If you want more LNOE, get its expansions or IFOS. There's a lot of depth in the game if you only have the base set!

RE: I almost bought it.... - thegamelord - 06-08-2012 11:07 PM

3-4 is usually what I play with and we play AToE and they like more then LNoE.

RE: I almost bought it.... - Old Dwarf - 06-09-2012 12:20 AM

AToE works with 3 .

If your into Co -op then FFG Gears of War is a great game
probably the best AI around.The set up time isn't bad &
it scales from 1-4 players.

OD

RE: I almost bought it.... - mental75 - 06-09-2012 02:44 AM

I ordered IFOS and ATOE (new miniatures to paint!!). I don't know much about Gears of War but my local shop has a copy. I'm going to check it out tomorrow. Thanks for the input.