TheZombieGame.com Forums
LNoE Game Report 7B Burn it to the Ground! (me as Heroes) - Printable Version

+- TheZombieGame.com Forums (http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (/Forum-The-Lounge)
+--- Forum: Game Reports (/Forum-Game-Reports)
+--- Thread: LNoE Game Report 7B Burn it to the Ground! (me as Heroes) (/Thread-LNoE-Game-Report-7B-Burn-it-to-the-Ground-me-as-Heroes)

Pages: 1 2

LNoE Game Report 7B Burn it to the Ground! (me as Heroes) - samuraitrev - 07-07-2012 05:58 PM

Thank you for taking the time to look at this game report. The scenario is from the Growing Hunger expansion. Being as though Becky and Mr Goddard lived through the last scenario I'm going to link the story... Don't be put off by the size of the story. It just looks bigger because I've included more photos for you Watchmen02

Scenario Special Rules: Zombie Grave Dead, Free Search Markers, Heroes Replenish.
Mission: The Heroes must burn down the Manor House. They need 4 Gasoline canisters and a Fire Item to start the blaze.
Board Sections: (random) Graveyard, Gun Shop, Junkyard and High School.
Characters: (random) Kenny, Becky, Mr Goddard and Jade.
Starting Zombies: 6
Turns: 17

PI = Play Immediately
RIP = Remains In Play
UI = Unique Item
ST = Survival Tactic
ZGW= Zombie Grave Weapon (figures have red bases in photos)

Pregame
Grave Dead Ability is Carrier. (Any Hero that's wounded by a Grave Dead Zombie is turned into a Zombie Hero on a 5-6). Kenny decides to Rise to the Challenge and starts in the General Store. Becky starts in the High School (Zombies Choice), Mr Goddard starts in the High School with Becky with his always have a Fire Item ability. Jade is in the Gym (Zombies Choice).

Turn 1
Mr Goddard: "As you know Amanda and Sam have gone to Bridestown on a Supply Run. We've been left with taking down that big Manor House. It's clear that really rotten ones are coming from the extensive family crypts underneath."
Becky: "So what are we supposed to do?"
Mr Goddard: "Don't worry we're not alone. 2 of the survivors we rescued have agreed to help. There's an odd guy called Kenny and-
Becky: "We've met. Less said about him the better."
Mr Goddard: "Right well...There's also a young lady called Jade. She's a bit highly strung but I think she's just shook up, same as the rest of us. Right enough talk. We need to search this place. Move quietly and stay close."
Outside and in the Manor House 5 of 7 Grave Dead have emerged from their crypts and are stalking the streets. Mr Goddard searches and finds UI Victor's Handcuffs in the High School. His and Becky's eyes meet.
Becky: "Don't get any ideas buster. I work in this uniform I'm not wearing it for you."
Meanwhile in the Gym, Jade searches and finds a Circular Saw.

Turn 2
Kenny: "Hmmm...They're Coming From The Junkyard. I'll go and tell the others."
Jade fires up the Circular Saw and it whirrs into life. At that moment an ancient corpse rises from behind a fallen locker and staggers towards her drawn by the sound. Jade hesitates only momentarily before bringing the Circular Saw blade down in an inevitable arc into its head. The head cracks open like a shattered nut and Jade is covered in stinking mire. The Grave Dead Zombie spasms then stops moving forever. On closer inspection Jade realised the thing must have been dead for hundreds of years.

Turn 3
Wiping the majority of the gore away Jade finds a Meat Cleaver while searching. She hefts a heavy duty weapon in each hand and prepares to go outside.

Turn 4
The Heroes carry on searching and avoiding contact with the shuffling dead. It was only a matter of time until they were discovered. Living like this was becoming increasingly harder. The things never slept and were a constant danger. Simple needs like eating, drinking, sleeping and using the toilet became major concerns. You let your guard down in this world and you're Zombie food.

Turn 5
Jade made her way into The Bank encountering little resistance and prised a Shotgun out of a dead guard's death grip. She decided to discard the gun favouring her hand weapons. After what the Zombies had done she was looking forward to getting up close and personal with them. Before she'd hated her school and prayed for the end of the world. Maybe someone, somewhere had listened. Again she cursed her self for reading too much Sandman.

Turn 6
Mr Goddard: "Becky, I've Got To Get To The Police Station. There'll be loads of weapons there and maybe even a radio we could contact others."
Becky: "Ok we'll split up. I'll go searching in the plant. If anything goes wrong we meet up here in the school in 2 hours"
Becky heads over to The Plant and finds a corpse holding a Monkey Wrench. She tests the weight in her hands and gives it an experimental swing. Yes this would cave in a Zombie skull anytime.

Turn 7
"ROAGGGHHHHHHHH!!!"
A Zombie throws itself from an upper story and narrowly missed landing on top of Jade. With lightning reflexes aided by adrenaline she leapt to the side and the thing hit the hard tiles. All 4 limbs snapped with a sickening crack and the Zombie pathetically tried to drag itself towards her with grinding bones snapping. Jade stomped on the writhing Zombies neck holding its head steady for the second she needed. She held the Cleaver aloft as light glinted off its razor edge then buried the Cleaver straight through the top of its head and hit the floor beneath. Both weapons had tasted blood and Jade began to feel the hunger for revenge, perhaps even death...
Becky sensed a familiar scent in the air and instinctively whispered.
Becky: "Sam, is that you?"
Her call was met by silence, which seemed worse than any noise. She reluctantly turned a corner and found a still burning Cigar. Someone had just been here. Perhaps they were watching her right now. A bead of sweat rolled down her spine and she decided to get out of there as fast as possible.
Jade continued searching The Bank and found a can of Gasoline in the basement.

Turn 8
Kenny Picks Up a Shotgun from the Gun Shop.
Kenny: "Hey Boss, I found this Shotgun. You take it I've got these big cans."
Mr Goddard: "Thanks I'll take that. Look I'm not your Boss and you're not at the S-Mart anymore so you don't need to go around with that name badge anymore. All that's over kid"

Turn 9
Mr Goddard: "Wait! What's that screaming? They're coming form the Gun Shop Armoury downstairs. The owner must have locked them down there. They've heard us; we have to move, NOW!"
Meanwhile Jade is in the thick of fighting once again. Another ancient rotten corpse had attempted to attack her and Jade ran at the thing screaming with rage. Limbs fell dismembered and wriggling upon the floor as the Circular Saw cut the Grave Dead Zombie to pieces. The thing hissed like a satanic snake as she cut off its head and the fire and hatred flickered out of its eyes. Jade had become a Zombie killing machine. She gained her Advanced Ability Outsider.
She sawed and hacked her way through the Manor House front door, killing another Zombie in her path with the Circular Saw. The thing was wearing a bridal gown and had been scrabbling and scratching at the door with a low whining sound. She couldn't think of what that meant right now. Tears formed on Jade's eyes and she swallowed them down. She bottled this up with all the rest and made her way into the deserted house. She started pouring Gasoline down the dank portal leading to the crypt beneath and threw down some dry wood as tinder. Let it all burn!
[attachment=1444]
Mr Goddard checked the Gun Shop Armoury doors.
Mr Goddard: "At Last a break! The doors are sealed."
They're Coming From The Gun Shop is cancelled.

Turn 10
Mr Goddard: "The Hell with it. I Haven't Got To Get To The Police Station. I've got another idea." (discarded)
Becky makes her way out of The Plant with relief and smokes the rest of the Cigar and discards the butt. Kenny Picks Up a Shotgun from the Gun Shop and runs to the door. Through an opening he saw a rotten face just waiting... It hadn't made a sound. Its face looked gaunt and withered like a mummies and the teeth were drawn back in the permanent mockery of a smile. He calmly slid the barrel through the gap and the thing looked at it momentarily as if puzzled. BOOM! He pulled the trigger and the head was no more. The Grave Dead's headless body slumped to the floor and broke into several pieces. Long dead maggots and flies scattered the ground alongside other unmentionable filth.

Turn 11
Jade continues stalking the town like a dark avenging angel. The whirring saw sings again as it is buried into another Zombies head. Every Zombie death helped smash another bottled memory. Another head appeared in the Gun Shop doorway. BOOM!
Kenny: "Gosh these critters sure are dumb!"
Mr Goddard Picked Up some Gasoline from the Gas Station and headed for the Manor House.

Turn 12
As Mr Goddard tried to leave the Gas Station a Zombie barred his path and cannoned into him. His head hit the floor hard and he felt blood through his hair. The wound could wait. He scrambled up onto the roof via a ladder and thought of his next move.
Jade: "Fancy seeing you here Teach."
Jade was laying there on her side one arm propping herself up. Her dark hair falling across part of her face. Her eyes smouldered in the darkness for 2 years she'd had crush on this man and he'd known it.
Mr Goddard: "Oh thank God you're Ok young lady. Have you got any bandages? I took a bit of a dink and-"
Jade: "Don't give me that young lady crap. I'm a woman...see!"
(she pulled up her top and stepped towards him with a lopsided smile. Before he knew what was happening her lips were upon his)
Jade: "Shhh now Teach This Could Be Our Last Night on Earth and I've got just the thing."

Turn 13
Kenny: "My God They've Taken The Gun Shop. I wonder what the others are up to."
Jade: "Look, sorry I was a little rough. I get frustrated, you know? Now we need to get out of here. Follow me."
Without a backward glance. Jade climbed down the ladder and Mr Goddard heard some sort of saw fire up. When Mr Goddard peered down the ladder hatch he was Jade ripping a Circular Saw blade out of a prone Zombies skull.
Jade: "All clear Teach. So are you coming down? Or do you want me to come up there again?"
Mr Goddard felt invigorated with Endurance maybe he could go another round. Becky continued gathering supplies and found some Ammo. Kenny finds a Guitar.
Kenny: "Oh wow! I always wanted to be a rock star like Bon Jovi. Damn wish I could play music. I even failed the triangle lesson."

Turn 14
Kenny: "I'm sick of it. Why do I have to suck at everything? All I wanted was a girlfriend just once, but NO! The end of the world has to come.."
Kenny gets Teenage Angst. Jade fights her way towards the Gas Station exit. She throws the Meat Cleaver at a Zombie with its back turned and its spectacular arc is complete as the Cleaver thunks into the Zombies head pinning it to the door frame.
Jade: "Before you say anything. Yes I meant to do that!"
Kenny gloomily carries on searching and finds a Wireless Radio in the Church. Mr Goddard left the Gas Station and poured more Gasoline down the Manor House Crypt stairway. Unbeknown to him a stylish (for the 70's) Zombie was right behind him. Mr Goddard turned his head and stifled a half laugh or scream.
[attachment=1445]
Jade Picks Up some Gasoline from the Gas Station and with her free hand instantly kills a Grave Dead Zombie stupid enough to try to creep upon her. Watching Jade perform Zombie killing resembled the finely tuned movements of a ballerina coupled with the ferocity of a cornered tiger. Becky carried on searching and finds a Lighter in the Junkyard.

Turn 15
Mr Goddard was tired and he felt his Endurance beginning to wane. The Falling Darkness fell heavy upon him. He took his rage out on the gold 70's Zombie. He wrapped Victor's Handcuffs and wrapped them around the Zombies neck. He lifted the struggling Zombie into the air and winced as its neck cracked. Its legs danced in the air for a while than ceased. At that moment Jade arrived.
Jade: "Here take this Gasoline."
Mr Goddard: "Ok Thanks. Wait you've been wounded."
Jade: "I'll live. It's not a bite. Go!"
Mr Goddard charges into the house and pours Gasoline all over the inside. The house reeked of it and would go up like tinder. Down the mouldy crypt stairs he heard heavy sarcophagus lids grinding then hitting the floor. More of the ancient crypt Zombies would soon escape. Time was running out!
[attachment=1446]
Zombies had began to crowd around the Manor House perhaps drawn inexplicably by a calling the human senses couldn't detect. Other Zombies would shamble aside to clear a path for the Grave Dead. Perhaps there was some sort of hierarchy at work here the apocalypse brought many strange musings, best not dwelled upon. Mr Goddard Killed the girl Zombie which was attacking Jade with his Shotgun. Kenny joined the fray and killed the Crawling Torso GWZ with his Shotgun. He had gained his Advanced Ability Restock. Perhaps Becky would look at him now...
Doc Broady: "Look I can see you're wounded. I'm not stopping just take these it should help with the fatigue and pain. Good luck."
Jade's wound is healed.

Turn 16
Kenny decided its best not to Rise To The Challenge of pursuing Becky and discards the idea. He uses his Ability and discards his Wireless Radio smashing it on a Stench Of Death GWZ's head killing it. Unfortunately 2 other Zombies had hold of him and they dragged him to the ground. Much as I would like to tell you Kenny died a swift, painless death, I cannot.
[attachment=1447]
Father Joseph arrives at the High School. He'd come back to Woodinvale and faced countless horrors to retrieve his wireless radio. He rips a Fire Extinguisher off a wall and is forced to discard it straight away as the place was swarming with Zombies.
Father Joseph: "Be gone evil hell fiends I am a warrior of the Lord. Waghhhh!!" (FSHHHHHHHHHHH!!!)
The Zombies had gained their Advanced Ability Infectious.
Becky Picks Up some Gasoline from the Gas Station. Mr Goddard kills the Explosive GWZ with his Shotgun and gains his Advanced Ability Repair.

Turn 17
All the Lights go Out in the Manor House. Coincidence surely? The Zombies couldn't have thought of that... A New Spawning Pit appeared in The Bank. The Lights go Out in the Gas Station too. From miles above Woodinvale the lights began to wink out one by one. Soon all would be darkness. Mr Goddard is attacked by a Bloated Body GWZ and he manages to Heroically kill it with Victor's Handcuffs. Father Joseph kills a Machete GWZ with his bare hands.
Father Joseph: "You think I'm afraid of mere metal? I am made of divine fire. Composed of the heavenly stars. Fall and die whelp of Beelzebub!"
Becky discards her Monkey Wrench. She then prepares to make a last ditch run from the Gas Station. Leaving Father Joseph with another Zombie.
[attachment=1448]

Jade: "Go, get in there!"
She joins Mr Goddard surrounded by 4 Zombies and she throws the final Gasoline down the crypt steps. Scores of Grave Dead Zombies could be heard bellowing below.
Becky: "Give me the Shotgun!"
Becky takes the Shotgun and the action seems to go into slow motion as Becky realises it's now or never. Shotgun blasts narrowly miss Goddard's face as impact after impact blows off Zombies head. After the frantic shooting 3 Zombies lay dead. Becky halted.
Becky: "I can't shoot the kid!"
[attachment=1449]
Father Joseph is wounded in the Gas Station and he prays for success.
Mr Goddard: "Becky, turn away. I don't want you to see this."
He wraps Victor's Handcuffs around the diminutive throat and a tiny crack is heard like the breaking of Goddard's heart and hot tears roll down Goddard's face as he throws down the flaming torch in his hand.
Mr Goddard: "Burn bastards!"
[attachment=1450]

'Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.'
Maya Angelou

Result: Hero victory (The Manor House had been burned to the Ground).
Weapon of choice: Shotgun (8 kills)
Hero of the game: Mr Goddard (He placed 2 Gasolines and started the fire)

Epilogue:
The flames roared through the Manor House engulfing each room greedily. Father Joseph said a silent prayer for the fallen and the Heroes made for their shelter. To wait for Sam and Amanda's return. No one celebrated and no one spoke to Mr Goddard they could see in his eyes something had died. Jade put her arm around him and he walked on like a dead man.
To Be Continued...

Upon Reflection
The last turn! Not only the last turn but the last players turn if Becky hadn't thrown higher than a 5 AND had a Fire Item to move through the Manor House with Lights Out she couldn't have placed the last Gasoline. Then killing all the Zombies with the Shotgun helped Goddard to survive his turn too. What a Game! Both sides were biting their nails in this very close game. I had a lot of good fortune though. The Gas Station came up randomly and so did Mr Goddard with his constant fire item. Without these I think on the day this scenario would have been impossible with the cards I was dealt from the Hero deck. Jade was unstoppable. One thing I have learned as a Hero is remember just because you've got a gun it doesn't mean you have to shoot it. It could discard and the more Zombies that can be left on the other side of the board the probability will be the Zombie won't be able to spawn somewhere you don't want them to be. Just a thought.

If you are reading this please comment.
To see the next game report go here http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Thread-LNoE-Game-Report-8B-Plague-Carriers-me-as-Heroes

RE: LNoE Game Report 7B Burn it to the Ground! - Achtung Panzer - 07-09-2012 05:53 PM

Another top story! I'm impressed that you know some of the advacned rules so well that they don't seem to slow the games down.

As ever, your reports help with the understanding of how the rules work and the games play out. Thanks!! Watchmen02

RE: LNoE Game Report 7B Burn it to the Ground! - samuraitrev - 07-11-2012 12:18 AM

(07-09-2012 05:53 PM)Achtung Panzer Wrote:  Another top story! I'm impressed that you know some of the advacned rules so well that they don't seem to slow the games down.

As ever, your reports help with the understanding of how the rules work and the games play out. Thanks!! Watchmen02

Thanks for commenting I was beginning to wonder if anyone had read it. To be honest I'd probably post these if nobody read 'em 'cos I enjoy doing them.Zombie17

RE: LNoE Game Report 7B Burn it to the Ground! - Achtung Panzer - 07-11-2012 09:29 AM

(07-11-2012 12:18 AM)samuraitrev Wrote:  
(07-09-2012 05:53 PM)Achtung Panzer Wrote:  Another top story! I'm impressed that you know some of the advacned rules so well that they don't seem to slow the games down.

Thanks for commenting I was beginning to wonder if anyone had read it. To be honest I'd probably post these if nobody read 'em 'cos I enjoy doing them.Zombie17

Don't give up writing them! I'm sure lots of people read 'em but don't comment.

Every time I play LNoE I think "I could write a short story about what just happened". Thing is, you do Watchmen02

RE: LNoE Game Report 7B Burn it to the Ground! - alderdust - 07-12-2012 11:59 PM

Haha nice one...I always feel like I'm reading a dirty novel when This may be our Last Night on Earth card is played haha

RE: LNoE Game Report 7B Burn it to the Ground! - LFuzer - 07-13-2012 01:53 PM

Don't stop writing the reports, Samuraitrev, they're awesome! Now and then I read one to inspire me for a late-night gaming!

RE: LNoE Game Report 7B Burn it to the Ground! - samuraitrev - 07-13-2012 08:38 PM

Cheers. I won't stop writing them. I don't think I can!Zombie17

RE: LNoE Game Report 7B Burn it to the Ground! - vikinglad - 07-14-2012 06:10 PM

I have been waiting for a chance to read this one for days, and it was great! I think your stories are getting better every time. This one was pretty sad at some points, and great fun in others. I absolutely loved this one. Thanks so much for writing these. That last pick of the manor burning is so cool. Down to the last turn on this one, too. We just played this one and had the same result: Turn 17 Hero victory. This one is hard.

RE: LNoE Game Report 7B Burn it to the Ground! - goodcop2000 - 07-15-2012 03:52 PM

(07-14-2012 06:10 PM)vikinglad Wrote:  ...
This one is hard.

That's what she said!!! Sorry, I've been up all night...

Fun story once again, Trev! I love the gigantic fireball thing you put on top of the manor house.

RE: LNoE Game Report 7B Burn it to the Ground! - scarydk - 07-21-2012 04:59 PM

Inspired by your game report I challenged my wife to try and beat me in this very scenario. She had a tough ride even though my zombies were slow starters. Its been a while since I played a game without auto spawn and I had a hard time spawning any. The grave dead add on made no difference (being allowed to spawn in a space occupied by a zombie). But as I said, she were doing worse than me. With no gas station, no library and no Cartwright she relied heavily on the supermarket towards the end to acquire the much needed gas cans. She had a break through in turn 16 finding the last two but alas, it was too late.

I liked playing this scenario since we had a fun game and an almost-there-experience for the Heroes. We will play a re-match of the scenario during the weekend but this time I will make sure to make an aggressive comeback sparring no one. There'll be no hiding this time, Amanda! Watchmen02