TheZombieGame.com Forums
May I have acess to the downloads section? - Printable Version

+- TheZombieGame.com Forums (http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (/Forum-The-Lounge)
+--- Forum: The Morgue (/Forum-The-Morgue)
+--- Thread: May I have acess to the downloads section? (/Thread-May-I-have-acess-to-the-downloads-section)

Pages: 1 2 3

May I have acess to the downloads section? - Tragic - 08-04-2012 03:21 PM

Hi I'm looking for access to the download section so I can make custom stuff for A Touch of Evil.

Here is my playthough post... is this "meaningful" ... you decide!!
A Touch of Evil (Core) - A Tragic Playthough @TZG

(08-04-2012 03:15 PM)Old Dwarf Wrote:  They are in the Download Section,but you need to be a full member to get to them.
You get to full membership by contributing meaniful posts & then requesting membership on the Morgue
Thread.You can also get there by making a donation to the Site.

OD

RE: May I have acess to the downloads section? - vikinglad - 08-04-2012 06:49 PM

I think you may have misread OD's post slightly. One needs to make meaningful posts (plural). Your 1 post is really good, but we are looking for people to get involved in the community for a couple of weeks first. I appreciate the enthusiasm, and you are definitely on the right path, just hang out and make some friends here for a week or two, and I am sure you will ushered into our dark army.

In the mean time, you may be able to search around the forums and find some templates, etc in the threads themselves. I would start in the "Variants" sections. I hope you stay active with us; i think you would make a great addition to our ranks. Zombie13

RE: May I have acess to the downloads section? - mqstout - 08-04-2012 08:12 PM

Don't forget to make an Introduce Yourself post, and maybe post in a couple of our stickied threads in the lounge.

RE: May I have acess to the downloads section? - MythosGamer - 08-05-2012 02:06 AM

Youve got my vote. After our conversation its pretty obvious how much enthusiasm you have for FFP and AToE. Welcome to the dark side.

RE: May I have acess to the downloads section? - Tragic - 08-05-2012 02:26 AM

(08-05-2012 02:06 AM)MythosGamer Wrote:  Youve got my vote. After our conversation its pretty obvious how much enthusiasm you have for FFP and AToE. Welcome to the dark side.

Thanks MG... that means a lot coming from you.. your channel really inspired me. I am a biut of a YouTube addict and have a "vidoe game" lets play channle as well where I play stratergy games and adventure games mostly, as well as a Adventure Game review channle and some othres not worth mentioning.. but I nvr really conisdered doing board games untill I saw your AH videos.

Like I knew of WatchItPlayed but somehow this didn't want me to try it myself. Instead I was somehow focused on making virtual versions of my games and recording them like my computer game videos.

Anyway... your awesome! Everyone go sub his channel an if you do not have a google account.. it is time to come visit us on planet earth.

RE: May I have acess to the downloads section? - StayPuft - 08-07-2012 09:53 PM

I know it is a standard of this site to prefer a user to hang around for a little while and post a bit before gaining access. That is for good reasons, so I support that.

However, I would like to say that, when the great and powerful rulers of this site deem that Tragic has succeeded in doing this, I want to throw in that I am in support of this request.

As most of us came here due to our love of Last Night On Earth, there is not as much content and discussions around A Touch Of Evil. It is great to see somebody so enthusiastic for that game, and wanting to add new content for it as well.

I've yet to play ATOE myself, but definitely want to soon, and would certainly love to have even more people to discuss it with when I do! ;-)

RE: May I have acess to the downloads section? - Tragic - 08-08-2012 12:42 AM

(08-07-2012 09:53 PM)StayPuft Wrote:  I know it is a standard of this site to prefer a user to hang around for a little while and post a bit before gaining access. That is for good reasons, so I support that.

Well as a new user and a frequenter of many communities and also a admin of a 3 popular ones as well I have to completely disagree. While I understand the motivation for what the admins are doing here it is, imo, the completely WRONG thing to do.

Forcing members to go though a "coolness" test and a approval system before they can access the site properly seams elitist at worst and unfriendly at best, and I would suspect looses you more members that it creates.

Ask any web designer about building communities or getting user participation and the 1st thing they will tell you is to streamline or even remove the entire registration process.

if you are a fan site you should be happy with that and provide what resources you wish. The community itself should make people hang around, not some imposed rules from on high forcing people to hang around. I suspect that a lot of people come here and nvr come back and this would be a major reason for that. I know I wouldn't have come back apart that I saw MythosGamer here and I have a relationship with that guy form BGG.

Now I am not saying you guys are not a good community or fun or w/e.. You seam like you are.. but I really think this policy is in fact hurting your community.. not aiding it.

(08-07-2012 09:53 PM)StayPuft Wrote:  However, I would like to say that, when the great and powerful rulers of this site deem that Tragic has succeeded in doing this, I want to throw in that I am in support of this request.

Thanks man.. that is nice of you to say!

RE: May I have acess to the downloads section? - samuraitrev - 08-08-2012 12:20 PM

Hi Tragic

You do make some good points, regarding membership to the site. The reason it is this way, is to keep out spammers and trolls. I do understand it appears eliteist but that is not our intention.

I have watched your videos and I think you've done a great job. Put it this way I want AToE now because of your video!

I hope you stick with us and you have my vote.Watchmen02

RE: May I have acess to the downloads section? - Old Dwarf - 08-08-2012 05:52 PM

Tragic let me echo Sams reply,I hope you stick around to
obtain full membership & continue afterwards.

The membership policy was also put in place to keep people
from joining,taking what they wanted from the Downloads
& just leaving.Various members here put a lot of work in creating
add on's to FFP Games & it was thought unfair that people
could just take them & give nothing back.

Thus the requirement that members add something to
the Site before being granted acess to the Downloads.
It's not a coolness test(hey they let me in Zombie12) it's
more of a letting the community getting to know you.

OD

RE: May I have acess to the downloads section? - StayPuft - 08-08-2012 07:44 PM

Tragic,

I can definitely see what you mean, and definitely understand your points. I appreciate how politely and constructively you offered your thoughts, so I certainly hope nobody takes offense.

I'm also not one of the admins or anything. I am merely a member myself. So, I cannot really comment on why this was done, or how it effects the site.

However, I have to admit that I am much in favor of it. I don't know about anybody else, but I see it more as a way to reward permanent members of the site, not punish those who may come and go. It is not meant as a coolness/acceptance test, but merely meant to help us become a community and not just a random website. Though I don't know if this was at all intended, I also see it as one good way to attempt to weed out trolls who may just want to cause trouble. They are not likely to stick around and play nice hoping to get access to the downloads section. As result, I have yet to run into one person on this site who wasn't super friendly and awesome, and I have yet to see one immature fight, or childish name-calling session. That is an awesome accomplishment for a message board, as that stuff is almost unavoidable.

Also, it isn't as though the whole forum, or even large parts of it are unavailable until you gain access. It is merely one small section. So, personally I saw no problem with the process as I came here to discuss LNOE and Flying Frog in general. So, in doing what I planned to do anyway, I was also getting myself known and the board and earning my chance to get into the downloads section.

So, long story short (too late, LOL) I can understand where you are coming from, I just respectfully disagree. As I see it, I cannot see why anybody would be offended enough by the process to never come back. The worst thing I see happening is that somebody came by the site only wanting to find custom content, and therefore didn't bother to join. That is a shame, but I'm sure most people who have created content have put it other places (such as BGG) for others to share as well anyway, so it isn't like this would be the only place they could find stuff.