TheZombieGame.com Forums
There are no good zombie board games? - Printable Version

+- TheZombieGame.com Forums (http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (/Forum-The-Lounge)
+--- Forum: Board Games (/Forum-Board-Games)
+--- Thread: There are no good zombie board games? (/Thread-There-are-no-good-zombie-board-games)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: There are no good zombie board games? - wisdomknight - 10-26-2012 05:44 AM

(10-26-2012 05:23 AM)LabRat Wrote:  Timber Peak further adds to the mechanic by introducing Infected counters - again I'm not too familiar with the set, so I'm only assuming that when a Hero is Infected, there are effects that further the Infection and result in the Hero turning.

Id like to learn more this myself actually.

RE: There are no good zombie board games? - themanfromsaturn - 10-26-2012 06:16 AM

(10-25-2012 02:40 PM)Wasteland Jack Wrote:  [Image: behokl.jpg]

I can't argue with anything that has that many eyeballs. You win the thread.

RE: There are no good zombie board games? - aprillo - 05-07-2014 10:21 PM

LNOE is definitely a great zombie board game, as others have mentioned it plays out very cinematic, and has lots of different ways of playing. the different characters add depth to the game. The way the zombies move (very slowly only one space at a time, except when cards are played that can alter movement) speaks a lot to how we often see them in movies milling about until a survivor gets to close. And the different scenarios can really change up the game style. In the scenario defend the manor house you do see a little more of that survivor instinct, where the heros only kill when they have. the purpose of this scenario is the prevent there from ever being 9 zombies in the manor house. so the heroes must pretty much hold up in there and protect by shooting down approaching zombies or fighting hand to hand when that fails. on top of that, heroes can't search in the manor house so the heroes must vacate it from time to time to get supplies etc before they head back.

most other scenarios are more of the bash-a-zombie-head-in style of game. but even escape in the truck lends more to the survivor story than the destroy the threat type.

RE: There are no good zombie board games? - samuraitrev - 05-07-2014 10:55 PM

(05-07-2014 10:21 PM)aprillo Wrote:  LNOE is definitely a great zombie board game, as others have mentioned it plays out very cinematic, and has lots of different ways of playing. the different characters add depth to the game. The way the zombies move (very slowly only one space at a time, except when cards are played that can alter movement) speaks a lot to how we often see them in movies milling about until a survivor gets to close. And the different scenarios can really change up the game style. In the scenario defend the manor house you do see a little more of that survivor instinct, where the heros only kill when they have. the purpose of this scenario is the prevent there from ever being 9 zombies in the manor house. so the heroes must pretty much hold up in there and protect by shooting down approaching zombies or fighting hand to hand when that fails. on top of that, heroes can't search in the manor house so the heroes must vacate it from time to time to get supplies etc before they head back.

most other scenarios are more of the bash-a-zombie-head-in style of game. but even escape in the truck lends more to the survivor story than the destroy the threat type.

Well said. This is a prety good review to anyone who's thinking of getting this gameWatchmen02

RE: There are no good zombie board games? - appendingdoom - 07-13-2014 07:47 PM

I'll largely agree with what's been said here. LNoE has a great variability of how the game plays, and for me, the semi-cooperative mode is one of the best aspects. It's sometimes frustrating to play a straight-up coop and have no one to blame for your downfall, so being able to yell at the player(s) controlling the zombies is very cathartic.

The different scenarios, too, makes for a great difference in how the game plays. I've most recently played the escape with the truck, and kill em all scenarios, and I remember how the dynamic shifts between humans trying to track down zombies, and the survivors desperately trying to find the tools they need to get out safely.

RE: There are no good zombie board games? - FruitEatingBear - 10-31-2014 10:35 PM

City of Horror is my favourite zed game, but you can't really compare. Where that one's all about being as evil as you like to other people, LNoE has a more shlocky story to tell, and Dead of Winter is grim grittiness. Then there's Dawn of the Zeds, Zombicide, Zombie Dice...(!)

It's nice that there's so much variation, despite having a similar core.

RE: There are no good zombie board games? - Raynor - 11-01-2014 03:56 PM

Well, if we're going to reopen the topic I'll go ahead and say something too.
I haven't tried City of Horror. I had a friend buy it once but we never got to play it so he ended up selling it. If I recall it was a 3 player minimum game and we were having trouble getting a consistent 3rd player to learn any new games at the time. Both our wives refuse to play games until we already know how to play.

I also haven't tried Dead of Winter. Don't recall having seen it out there either.

My favorite 3 zombie board games though would be: LNoE, Zombicide, and ZPocalypse. Each one fills a different roll for me.

LNoE runs a game that is similar to your old zombie film feel.
Zombicide feels a lot like playing Left4Dead. The cityscape and run and gun feel is very similar
ZPocalypse feels remarkably like playing a game of Nazi Zombies in Call oF Duty Blackops. You're pretty much doomed to fail and just want to see how far you can get each time.

None of them register in my favorite board games but I enjoy playing all 3 anytime.

RE: There are no good zombie board games? - Hans4d - 11-03-2014 11:12 AM

A brilliant game with zombies is Incursion by grind house games.
Its Space Hulk re themed in a kind of Castle Wolfenstein skin.
Hordes of Nazi zombies (Dead Snow style!), led by a mad scientist and his mutated daughters, battling in tight claustrophobic, nowhere to run, corridors, against U.S Marines in diesel powered terminator armour.
You had better look out for the suicidal bomber zombies with the naval mines grafted to their bodies charging straight for you too. Fantastic!

RE: There are no good zombie board games? - Raynor - 11-05-2014 04:24 PM

That sounds awesome. I'm going to have to put it on my list of board games to look up and potentially buy next time we're in need of fresh blood

RE: There are no good zombie board games? - ImtheTimelord - 06-02-2015 10:51 PM

(10-25-2012 09:51 PM)wisdomknight Wrote:  I myself have only played LNoE a few times and only the beginner scenario and "get to the truck" once.
I have the expansions awaiting my family for Xmas, and Im really hoping there is more of a "survival" feel to it.
Supposedly barricading? If I remember correctly?

But will see...I also have Zombicide waiting and hidden for Decmber 25th as well, but I know thats only a shoot em style coop game.
Kinda like Left4Dead but a board game version as I understand.

I myself would love to see a more survival zombie game like the comic/tv series Walking Dead.
Mostly scavenging, barricading with fighting zombies at your own risk ONLY to get what you need.

I am in the midst of designing a game (and it will be funded via Kickstarter) and initally we were going to create true zombie survival game, but sadly there are just too many in this genre now and wouldnt be a smart business move even though we would offer a much different take on the popular genre. Instead we are thinking along the lines of a post-apocalypse survival game using the same mechanics.

Just my opinions.
Any word on how your kickstarter is coming along? Any details (name please) on the game would be cool. That way people here could possibly help further your game.