TheZombieGame.com Forums
The Colour Out of Space REWORK - Printable Version

+- TheZombieGame.com Forums (http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Last Night on Earth (/Forum-Last-Night-on-Earth)
+--- Forum: LNoE Variants (/Forum-LNoE-Variants)
+--- Thread: The Colour Out of Space REWORK (/Thread-The-Colour-Out-of-Space-REWORK)

Pages: 1 2

The Colour Out of Space REWORK - friskers96 - 04-08-2013 08:14 AM

So I had some free time tonight and I sat down and tried to rework the custom scenario in the DL section called The Colour Out of Space. I fooled around with some of the rules and the game duration and changed the title. It was painstaking but I think I got it all on a scenario card with a little "Flavor" text... I love the flavor text" Let me know what needs to change. Thanks.

EDIT:

Made some changes to front:
Title, added Grave Weapon, removed heros replenish and always zombie heros since those are always in effect since TP to my understanding.

Created a back to the card with the game setup rules from the front.

Overall: adjusted the font size so you dont need to buy time on Hubble to read it.

RE: The Colour OIut of Space REWORK - deepfreeze - 04-08-2013 08:55 AM

Cool scenario! I really like the idea of the townsfolk getting dragged to the meteor and having to save them. Great work with the card too! It looks great.

The one critique I have is that the human win condition seems relatively easy. There are other scenarios that require humans to blow up 3-4 things. I see that the humans will also be spending time saving townsfolk, but the zombies needing to collect 6 in order to win. The zombies still only move one space at a time, so it just seems like a lot of leeway for the heroes to ignore the townsfolk altogether.

I haven't played the original or your new one yet, but just my 2 cents. If it was more unforgiving to the Heroes I think it would make the Heroes have to respect the townsfolk abductions more. You'd have to play test, but I think even 1-2 would be possible to prevent considering how slow zombies move.

RE: The Colour OIut of Space REWORK - friskers96 - 04-08-2013 09:04 AM

Yeah I thought about that, so I thought adding in Auto respawn for the zombies would keep the heros extra busy. Also there will be townsfolk in buildings with spawning pits so there is more incentive to save em, six can go pretty quick. The original had 20 turns andthe heros started in the mix of buildings, figured putting nose to nose with a grave dead could throw some hurt at em... Could go for the "EPIC ENDING" Blob style. Once the Meteor is destroyed, *BAM!!* ULTIMATE SHOWDOWN!! A big meany pops out of the crater, something like a 4 wound zombie hero.. Watchmen02

RE: The Colour OIut of Space REWORK - deepfreeze - 04-08-2013 09:06 AM

(04-08-2013 09:04 AM)friskers96 Wrote:  Yeah I thought about that, so I thought adding in Auto respawn for the zombies would keep the heros extra busy. Also there will be townsfolk in buildings with spawning pits so there is more incentive to save em, six can go pretty quick. The original had 20 turns andthe heros started in the mix of buildings, figured putting nose to nose with a grave dead could throw some hurt at em... Could go for the "EPIC ENDING" Blob style. Once the Meteor is destroyed, *BAM!!* ULTIMATE SHOWDOWN!! A big meany pops out of the crater, something like a 4 wound zombie hero.. Watchmen02

Oh, I did not see the auto-spawn. Rough night for the Heroes then haha.

RE: The Colour OIut of Space REWORK - goodcop2000 - 04-09-2013 12:05 AM

(04-08-2013 08:14 AM)friskers96 Wrote:  So I had some free time tonight and I sat down and tried to rework the custom scenario in the DL section called The Colour Out of Space. I fooled around with some of the rules and the game duration and changed the title. It was painstaking but I think I got it all on a scenario card with a little "Flavor" text... I love the flavor text" Let me know what needs to change. Thanks.

Cool idea to fine tune other people's scenarios but I would be sure to give credit to the original author as a sign of respect. If you like reworking scenarios, I would suggest you take a look at a custom scenario called "Patient Zero" that I thought had great potential. I asked questions about it to clarify the rules but the creator never answered. I don't think he is on the board anymore.

The awesome aspect about the scenario is that the game starts with just one zombie (patient zero) and there are many civilians scattered about the board just waiting to be infected.

I can try to find a link for the scenario later and I will put it here.

Found the original post - Patient Zero scenario

RE: The Colour OIut of Space REWORK - samuraitrev - 04-09-2013 12:27 AM

Don't change the title it's from H.P. Lovecraft's masterpiece The Colour Out of Space

That is definitely intentional.

RE: The Colour OIut of Space REWORK - friskers96 - 04-09-2013 12:38 AM

I wanted to put the authors name on it, but I could not find it. It wasn't on there that I could see. I've been googleing it but I get more Lovecraft than anything else. I'll keep searching tho, im not trying to steal someones hard work. any ideas tho on what i need to fix up... I'm thinking I need to add a card for the back to put the game setup on cause the font is tiny tiny

Found it... Ted Woods... boardgamegeek is apparently better than Google... Watchmen02

RE: The Colour OIut of Space REWORK - friskers96 - 04-09-2013 01:58 AM

Ok, updated the cards and made some changes. Probably a ton of spelling errors, but ill proof it after I get some feedback if people think this will work. If anyone wants a printable copy to test before I proof and submit just PM me an email address and I'll send it right out. Please comment and give tips. I hit a brickwall making my first one so I thought revamping older ones would help me understand the balance issues and logistics of putting these together better. So please rip it up and let me know what some changes should be.

RE: The Colour Out of Space REWORK - samuraitrev - 04-09-2013 10:50 AM

For the Game set up section
2) Typo: Heroes
Typo: Surrounded

3) Unclear: All Townsfolk: Does this mean all 7 from the base game? Or all 9 from Base game + Growing Hunger? Or all 11 from base game, Growing Hunger and Timber Peak? If I were you I would specify a number.

4) Typo: Possession
Typo: Corresponding

5) Typo: Possession (twice)
Typo: proceed
Typo: pass

6) Typo: amount

Scenario card (scenario special rules)
Typo: Zombie Grave Dead
Typo: Zombies Auto-Spawn
Omission: Hero Starting Cards (1)

Scenario card
Typo: Heroes
Typo: Woodinvale

1) Typo: Heroes
2) Typo: Heroes
Typo: Townsfolk

Great job with the card it's looking good. It just needs play testing a few times. If most games are pretty close with it, then you know it's balanced.

Hope this helps

RE: The Colour Out of Space REWORK - friskers96 - 04-09-2013 03:46 PM

Thank! I've been going through and spell checking, Photoshops does not seem to work... Watchmen02 Can I also assume or do I need to list Heroes replenish and Always Zombie Heroes. I figure with it being kind of a "blanket" rule since TP I wouldn't need to list it..